RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

'04 RX330 reliability, persuade or stay away?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 09:14 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
I went to a shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus (OEM parts) and the timing belt was $189. As with the other poster, I went ahead and had the water pump replaced for an additional $175. Overall, I thought the price was reasonable. Of course, Lexus wanted just over $1000.
Wow, $364 for a timing belt and water pump? Great price!
Old 08-24-10, 10:07 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah...Almost too good.
Old 08-24-10, 10:14 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Wow, $364 for a timing belt and water pump? Great price!
x3. It's an excellent price.
Old 08-24-10, 04:40 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Yeah...Almost too good.
Yup, I was quite pleased. The shop was ~$400, Toyota dealer was $650 and Lexus just over $1000.

I don't know if you guys think I am trying to pull a fast one or what .... just to clarify, here is a link to their $189 special: http://toycarcare.com/specials/

Also, I went ahead and had the Iridium plugs and serpentine belt replaced also.

Last edited by cdnewton; 08-24-10 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added link
Old 08-25-10, 09:37 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
Yup, I was quite pleased. The shop was ~$400, Toyota dealer was $650 and Lexus just over $1000.

I don't know if you guys think I am trying to pull a fast one or what .... just to clarify, here is a link to their $189 special: http://toycarcare.com/specials/

Also, I went ahead and had the Iridium plugs and serpentine belt replaced also.

Na, I never thought that. If thats the price you got it for, you did very well. Didnt mean to come off the wrong way,sorry about that.

Last edited by lexus114; 08-25-10 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-25-10, 04:51 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

No worries! If nothing else, maybe others can use the coupon with their local independent shops.
Old 08-25-10, 05:03 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Another 04 RX330 owner and would chime in that the vehicle is very reliable. Try comparing it to other 7-8 year old vehicles and I think you will conclude it is darn good.

I think at nearly 8 years old it is better than a lot of new cars I've owned.
Old 08-26-10, 12:44 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine Last year with 98,000 miles on it. And I have put over 16,000 miles on it already. And other than oil changes the car has been great. It already had the timing belt and water pump replaced when I purchased it.

In my opinion it is very reliable, and I plan on driving it until it falls apart.
Old 08-27-10, 01:16 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The shop I have been going to for service since it is past warranty and such said that the belt needs to be changed at 120k as well. I guess I was assuming it would be expensive either way, but not as much as the dealer for sure. I didn't think to ask about it's cost. Since it will be another 18000 miles before I hit the 120k mark.
Old 08-27-10, 01:19 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

120K?? did you get it changed at 90K That is the Lexus recommended time. It can be DIY as well. Save about $700 for the job the dealership will do.

PS: My toyota that I just gave to my Mom. Friends that own them report 300K same engine, trans. Just maintenance. My first car was a a 1981? Tercel hatchback. Floor was rusting out but I would not stop running no matter what I did to it. I think this is a fine company. Why I went Lexus rather than an X5 or Range Rover.
Old 07-25-16, 11:05 PM
LexusAl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been a very long time since I've posted a message.But here goes.I've been thinking about buying a 2004 RX330.But since I've read a lot of bad comments about the RX reliability,I'm having 2nd thoughts.Especially concerning the transmission.From comments I've read,seems some RX's last a long time,others don't.So it's a tossup.I feel the ES 300's,330's,and 350's have a better tranny in them than the RX's no matter what year.I feel Lexus should have really beefed up the trannies in the RX's since they haul heavy trailers like uhauls and such to handle the extra load so that the trannies would be able to handle pulling the extra weight.Seems logical to me.But Lexus didn't.It boils down to common sense.On the other hand,the LS400/430/460's have the very best transmissions ever put in a vehicle along with that powerful magnificent V8.I have had my 1995 LS400 since May 26th 1998 and still driving it today and it handles just as good as the first day I test drove it.It has around 221K miles after 21 years.And I've had 2 minor accidents in it and both times,the Lexus literally saved my life.I have had some problems with the '95,but not the engine or tranny.All the seats had to be replaced a couple years ago from cracking and slitting.Found another gorgeous set on the bay for $600+ $200 for shipping,a darned good deal.My door locks don't work like they should and the tilt/telescopic steering wheel doesn't work like it should.But it does still work most of the time.I changed out the nylon gear for the tilt on the bottom of the column and it tilts most of the time.If not,I have to do it manually along with the telescopic feature.I had to replace the main ECU but got the original repaired.The radio controller needs replacing but the CD player still works.I need to replace the front door speakers as they went out a while back.I also replaced the subwoofer in the back.You won't believe this but I had all 4 Lexus brake pads installed in 2006 and they are still on the car 10 years later and still in great shape with no wear and certified by my mechanic.I've never had A/C problems and the freon is still good to go after 21 years.It took me 8 years to pay it off now it's paying me back with great service.I also bought a 1999 LS400 in 2014 with 111K miles on it.Now it's at 130K.And running great.Around 2009,the clear coat started fading and I just had it repainted last month on the '95.I'm not very satisfied with the finish so the body man is going to re-clear coat it for me.I had the timing belt/water pump replaced in 2006(146K miles) when the pads were done with the original parts at a Toyota dealership and the old parts were still in great shape.So I believe the belt could go even to 200K miles.I've been determined to get my $ back in service over the years and so far,it's still running great.I finally had to replace the temperature control unit this year when the original blacked out on me.I'll have to replace the rack & pinion soon due to my last accident.I'll get the original rebuilt and have my mechanic install it.Then get it re-aligned.And get the power steering pump serviced.I know the '95 is not worth the extra $ to do all this work.But I don't plan on ever selling it.I'll drive it 'til the wheels fall off.To clean the engine and compartment,I use purple power and it does a great job.Over all,the LS400 has taken such good care of me over the years.So I do the same for it.My sunroof used to leak.But I got the drain holes cleaned out.Now,it drains like it should.No way I'd ever want to get rid of it since I know the car inside and out and everything that's been done to it.It is the most comfortable car I've ever driven with the lumbar support in the seat with my bad back.I sure got lucky with this LS400 and the '99.If Lexus had built the RX's with the same quality as the LS's,there would probably not be as many complaints.

Old 07-26-16, 04:53 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Our 2004 RX330 has been one of the most reliable cars we have ever owned. Just turned 210,000 miles this past weekend.
Old 07-27-16, 12:46 PM
roadbike56
Driver

LexusAl, Transmission issues on older RX vehicles may have a lot to do with maintenance. On our 09 Lexus, the manual says the tranny fluid is "Lifetime" which is, to be blunt, crap. However, our local transmission guy says to inspect it beginning at 60K miles and replace at about 80K, sooner if it's dirty or burnt. Also, it is critical that you use Toyota brand transmission fluid. It isn't just Lexus or Toyota that says this, my local transmission repair shop told me the same thing. They won't use anything but Toyota brand transmission fluid in any Lexus or Toyota. According to him, he doesn't trust the so called "equivalent" for the difference in price. My RX is due for fluid change next month and I'll pay a few extra dollars to get the Toyota brand fluid. Some of the problems with Lexus/Toyota transmissions occurs when mechanics do not use Toyota brand fluids for the transmission or power steering. Then these folks blame the brand for the failure.
Old 08-01-16, 04:35 AM
LexusAl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

roadbike56,you make a good point.The right fluid will make all the difference in the world.On the LS400,I use only the type4 tranny fluid so I understand where you're coming from.I would like to get into an RX one day as my wife would love to have one.Before buying,I would surely check the vehicle history report.And go from there.What about the MPG on the RX?Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-01-16, 06:54 AM
roadbike56
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusAl
roadbike56,you make a good point.The right fluid will make all the difference in the world.On the LS400,I use only the type4 tranny fluid so I understand where you're coming from.I would like to get into an RX one day as my wife would love to have one.Before buying,I would surely check the vehicle history report.And go from there.What about the MPG on the RX?Thanks for the reply.
We have an 09, RX 350, 2 wheel drive. We don't pay much attention to gas mileage, i.e. neither my wife or myself drive with mileage economy in mind. Especially me as I have a lead foot (my other car is a C7 Corvette). We use middle grade fuel, 89 octane, not premium and our mileage figure represents overall driving, both local and highway.
We get 21 to 22 MPG. My point is, I'm sure others are doing better than we are, but the RX is not a gas hog. With the exception of the C7 Corvette, we've never owned a car that got this good overall gas mileage.

Quick Reply: '04 RX330 reliability, persuade or stay away?