RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What Trim do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 02:13 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Trim do I have?

The search came up with wacky stuff that did not get me this info directly. I am pretty sure it's either walnut or bird's-eye maple wood trim. But what one?

The reason I ask is because I am in the market to buy a VIP Style LHD table from Japan and I am trying to figure out if I should get it with the wood trim color or in black or Grey leather. If I get the wood I want it to match.

Sample of what they look like:
Old 07-29-10, 02:46 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's a bit hard to tell from your photos - can you get a clear close-up of a section of the wood? The cover of the ashtray / drink holder is probably the easiest. Birds-eye maple is so-called because it has little round grain inclusions that look like birds' eyes!

However... do you really want that thing sitting between your passenger and the airbag? Is it even legal?
Old 07-29-10, 11:10 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

nice table!
Old 07-29-10, 11:21 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

its burl walnut. Birds eye maple is light yellow
Old 07-29-10, 12:45 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Poisson
It's a bit hard to tell from your photos - can you get a clear close-up of a section of the wood? The cover of the ashtray / drink holder is probably the easiest. Birds-eye maple is so-called because it has little round grain inclusions that look like birds' eyes!

However... do you really want that thing sitting between your passenger and the airbag? Is it even legal?
Walnut Burl! Awesome TY

It's a question I knew I would get, but it's part of a JDM VIPStyle auto world that allot of people are kind of exclusively into. It's common in Japan but not here. It's "Here" but not common like everyone has a TV. Some are into Muscle cars, some into the choppers, some into Euro and me, I am into this

Why I love Lexus. Legal? I don't care really. Not allot of passengers in my car and it's entirely for show. Can take it off any time easy.

If I am going on a road trip with the GF it should prob. come off to be safe maybe.
Old 07-29-10, 02:57 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by infinirx
Walnut Burl! Awesome TY

It's a question I knew I would get, but it's part of a JDM VIPStyle auto world that allot of people are kind of exclusively into. It's common in Japan but not here. It's "Here" but not common like everyone has a TV. Some are into Muscle cars, some into the choppers, some into Euro and me, I am into this

Why I love Lexus. Legal? I don't care really. Not allot of passengers in my car and it's entirely for show. Can take it off any time easy.

If I am going on a road trip with the GF it should prob. come off to be safe maybe.
So where could one find these type pieces
Old 07-29-10, 10:41 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Let me know and I will get you in contact with my guy. There are a few places and sites that are or are not official distributors. My Dealer is. Allot of this stuff is expensive. In fact over priced haha. Gotta really want them. I payed almost $50 for there air freshener way back.

Here are a few pics of my last car's interior. Allot of this stuff in there. Garson, Junction Produce.

There are also allot of Lexus body kits and wheels. Most are for sedans Lexus/infiniti/Benz

http://www.junction-produce.co.jp/english/

http://www.gpmotor.com.sg/prod/garso...ble/index.html

Last edited by infinirx; 07-29-10 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 11:24 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

OK back on topic:
Old 07-30-10, 02:58 AM
Poisson
Driver

That's walnut (nice!) This is the birdseye maple:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...ed=0CCcQ9QEwAA
Old 07-30-10, 03:03 AM
Poisson
Driver

Originally Posted by infinirx
Walnut Burl! Awesome TY

Each to his own I suppose. But I'd hate to think of my wife or daughter - or your girlfriend - getting her face smashed into that thing in a crash.
Old 07-30-10, 04:03 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

lol I would say yes to each his own. No "Suppose" . I don't have a GF Just good ole me driving. I was using it as a reference and not a reality (at the moment). If I did I would be spending allot of this $$ on her and not the car anyways.

So many variables here to discuss I will not even start.

Glad I found out the trim type thanks all.

But in terms of the topic
Old 07-30-10, 05:59 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do they even make one for LHD cars? Your picture shows in on a RHD car which has a different shape.
Old 09-23-10, 12:25 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

That's walnut (nice!) This is the birdseye maple:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...ed=0CCcQ9QEwAA
It;s not the Birdseye maple if the link you gave me is what you think. That link is the the really light tan wood. Mine is much darker.

And yes they make them for LHD. I posted pics on this page with my old car having the table made for that car.
Old 09-23-10, 01:04 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

JM2C.

Safety is a good and valid point. All these aftermarket stuff can turn into a liability in a crash event. We all do not want to think about this but in reality, it is a potential issue.

For example, European design on cars is such that none of the component inside the car is less that a certain radius so that in case a person hits the feature, no cuts will result. Not followed here in the US or Asia.

There's a lot of safety concerns that are considered when interiors are designed.

But to each his own. Just be aware of the potential safety issues.
Old 09-23-10, 09:49 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Yes but it's off topic Your raising an issue that has nothing to do with the entire business of VIP Style It's about looks and not as much about safety. I am asking about my trim and said why. Anything done that is not OEM can be in fact by the state of California considered illegal to install end potentially void warranty. Springs, exhaust, intake, strut bar, sway bar, coil overs, HID's that are not OEM and many more. This has many variables however is and can be at the discretion of an officer or person at the dealership that likes you are does not.

Why people get stopped for smoked tail lights Dark enough can be dangerous in daytime traffic no? But allot of people do it yes? My last car had 10mm Spacer hub adapters and -3 camber shims and was riding with AirRunner. Safe? Mmmmm drivable but hope I don't get hit in the wrong place.

I don't mind talking about safety issues in another thread but since you brought it up and it's probably worth talking about the tables are a part of a huge culture in Japan and a small one here in the US. Ever seen some of the crazy style in Japan that are popular and that are driven every day out there?

http://www.bosozokustyle.com/node?page=10

This is my friends car. It's adapted from the Boso zuku style. He drove this every day in La His whole interior was hand done by him and Not safe lol!

Here is the article: http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea..._xb/index.html

No airbags at all. Not even passenger.

Don't rear end this guy!

Do not get me wrong. I hated this car for a long time. But after a while I appreciated all the work and labor that went into it form an extremely talented artist. He nailed it! on the style that is VERY popular in Japan. Tool allot of work and research.

Now back to my table, and some defense on my part. I rarely have anyone in my car but me. Especially with my last car. It was small and was a show car put in shows and such. This car, well will probably not be a show car But if you look at the Lexus Sedans and coupes these tables are used allot.

the safety issues are pretty obvious to the naked eye but they are all assumptions and I am not interested is doing any crash tests. From what I can see it obstructs the passenger airbag and could cause significant injury to some ones ribs, chest? This is if the space between the body and the table are not sufficiently filled with the airbag within the time of impact, if there happens to be an impact with the table at all. This is also based on the kind of collision that occurs yes?

If there is an accident that requires the airbags to be deployed well there goes the car anyway. One never hopes to have a passenger for that type of collision anyways.

Do you think that Junction Produce, Garson, Fabulous. All VIP style companies that design tables for mostly JDM cars have been thoughtless about safety completely?

With all that said. I agree with you and it's pretty plain to see there can be some issues with human safety with these tables. However I know some people in the auto insurance business (AAA) that changed out there drivers steering wheel. They told me they know enough about the statistics to not care about losing the airbag. Scared me a bit but He's not worried and has a table on his car too It's not his daily car however.

Anyways I has STILL not found out what wood trim I have. I guess I need to find out by looking at the Lexus site.

Last edited by infinirx; 09-23-10 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: What Trim do I have?