RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330-Screen cracked by GPS Suction Cup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 04:58 PM
keycard198
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330-Screen cracked by GPS Suction Cup?

I have a 2004 RX330 Lexus---I seldom use the GPS that came with the navigation system. So I usually attach my Garmin to the Lexus Screen. It had been pretty hot lately, then suddenly the touch screen on the Lexus stopped working. So I'm not able to control the AC or certain parts of the screen. Took it to the dealer, and they were able to see a round suction area where I placed the GPS suction cup. They stated that the screen cracked!!!

Could a screen crack from the Suction cup? They are requiring that I replace the whole unit....any suggestions or can just the screen be replaced?

I tried cleaning the screen also, but that didn't help.

Thanks!
KC
Attached Thumbnails RX330-Screen cracked by GPS Suction Cup?-gps.jpg  

Last edited by keycard198; 07-28-10 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 05:06 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Absolutely, yes. Especially at high temperatures those displays can get fragile. In those conditions even a small amount of pressure can crack the display. And, the crack may occur in a location outside of where you were pressing.
Old 07-28-10, 07:12 PM
keycard198
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Absolutely, yes. Especially at high temperatures those displays can get fragile. In those conditions even a small amount of pressure can crack the display. And, the crack may occur in a location outside of where you were pressing.

Do you know if it is possible just to replace the screen?
Old 07-28-10, 08:00 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by keycard198
Do you know if it is possible just to replace the screen?
Sure. Anything is "possible." Worth the time, effort and money? Probably not. You would have to find the part first and I would doubt you could find just the screen for sale. In this day and age few things are repaired. Instead, modules are just replaced. Am guessing that whole unit as it comes will be the only way you will find it available.
Old 07-28-10, 10:05 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Why in the hell would you do that to begin with!?!?!

Wow... you have a GPS, but won't use it...
Old 07-29-10, 04:49 AM
keycard198
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Why in the hell would you do that to begin with!?!?!

Wow... you have a GPS, but won't use it...
Sad to say--but Garmin GPS are way better and user friendly then the GPS on the Lexus (Especially when it comes to finding streets).

The toughest part is that I can't control the fan on the AC, is there another way around that?
Old 07-29-10, 06:01 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Sad to say--but Garmin GPS are way better and user friendly then the GPS on the Lexus (Especially when it comes to finding streets).

The toughest part is that I can't control the fan on the AC, is there another way around that?
Maybe try hitting auto and move the temp up and down. If I recall right, you can select the vents. Bummer about your screen.
Old 07-29-10, 10:06 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2004 RX330 Lexus---I seldom use the GPS that came with the navigation system. So I usually attach my Garmin to the Lexus Screen. It had been pretty hot lately, then suddenly the touch screen on the Lexus stopped working. So I'm not able to control the AC or certain parts of the screen. Took it to the dealer, and they were able to see a round suction area where I placed the GPS suction cup. They stated that the screen cracked!!!

Could a screen crack from the Suction cup? They are requiring that I replace the whole unit....any suggestions or can just the screen be replaced?

I tried cleaning the screen also, but that didn't help.

Thanks!
KC
There is a member of the US Lexus Owners Club (I think it is 'dcfish') who had the ability to replace just the screens, but I don't remember the RX model . Why don't you post the request there?
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...p?showforum=52
Good luck!
Old 07-29-10, 03:54 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am not condoning insurance fraud, but they may cover something like this, heck they cover cracked windshield, i would give them a call, this is not going to be cheap
Old 07-29-10, 04:11 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

This reminds me of a similar thread that I had trouble believing,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ment-cost.html

I have to ask, why would you put anything other than your finger on an expensive, delicate touchscreen nav? If it wasn't the screen that cracked the pressure from the suction cup would have caused the screen to leak eventually.
Old 07-29-10, 07:22 PM
keycard198
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
This reminds me of a similar thread that I had trouble believing,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ment-cost.html

I have to ask, why would you put anything other than your finger on an expensive, delicate touchscreen nav? If it wasn't the screen that cracked the pressure from the suction cup would have caused the screen to leak eventually.

You would figure that the screen is more durable then that....Thank you all for all the info that the members had given me..I'll try to email DCFISH to see what is available and if it is a Do it yourself type of job.

KC
Old 07-30-10, 05:38 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

You would figure that the screen is more durable then that....Thank you all for all the info that the members had given me..I'll try to email DCFISH to see what is available and if it is a Do it yourself type of job.

KC
Durable for how it is meant to be used with a finger touching the screen. When it gets hot it expands. As it is somewhat thin, if there are stresses on the edges where it is being held in place by its bezel excessive force placed anywhere on the screen is too much for the display and it cracks at the weakest point.

Have seen laptop screens break in a similar way without even being touched. Just from expansion in a hot vehicle.

Remember, glass is a liquid and not a true solid. It does flow, albeit slowly over time.