RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rack and Pinion Unit Leaking Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 05:49 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, put me in the new rack and pinion club. My mechanic called and I have a leak so I'm going to replace it. Lifetime warranty reman on eBay is 238 shipped so I'm going that route, 73K on the car.
Old 04-13-11, 07:26 AM
txt
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read that leaks at the rack & pinion are due to worn out or hardened seals and gaskets.

Would flushing the P/S fluid every 30K miles prolong the life of the seals and gaskets ?

For the people with leaking rack & pinion, how often you guys change the P/S fluid ?

Last edited by txt; 04-13-11 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-13-11, 11:29 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

mine is leaking too. I`m not worried about it. Hell with it,it isnt bad at all yet.
Old 04-13-11, 03:36 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

I'm a maintenance phreak, you really, really want to buy my used cars.
Old 04-13-11, 04:52 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

lexus114 will only buy if you include the goodies, Carver I am the same way with my RXs. Maybe you can buy mine
Old 04-13-11, 06:18 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Nothin' but white cars since '96!
Old 08-31-11, 11:17 AM
michellers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rack and Pinion Steering

Originally Posted by DaveJ
I had our RX330 in at Toyota for its 95K oil change and the dealer told me the steering rack and pinion unit was leaking oil and will eventually be a dangerous situation. They showed me the leak, which was a wet boot.

This dealership told me that the entire unit had to be replaced either with a new or refurbished unit. They could not repair it. For the refurb unit, it would cost about $1400 including labor.

Has anyone had this happen to your RX? If so, what did you do about it? I'm very disappointed that this non-routine maintenance item failed with such a high repair cost. I know at nearly 100K miles anything can happen, but it still hurts. I wonder if there was ever a recall or TSB on the rack and pinion unit.

Because it's also time for a timing belt, water pump, and by the end of this year, new tires, I'm starting to think maybe trade-in is the best option.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I too am extremely disappointed. I have a 2006 RX330. It only has 72k miles. I was told that I need new rack and pinion steering. I cannot believe it. $2000 at the Cerritos Dealership. Unbelievable. The car is only 5 years old.
Old 08-31-11, 06:41 PM
txt
Driver

It seems most of these PS units leak after 70K miles.
Can you guys remember if the PS fluid was changed prior to the leak ?
Old 08-31-11, 07:39 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

My mechanic said my fluid was low and dirty. I don't know if it had been changed ever. He said there was no doubt in his mind the poor maintenance was a large contributing factor to the rack failing.

2000 is ridiculous, the time to find a reliable independent mechanic is when you don't need one.
Old 09-01-11, 10:02 AM
txt
Driver

I looked at my Lexus dealer's website which showed what were in each of the recommended scheduled services.
There was inspection of the rack and pinion steering assembly but no mention of changing power steering fluid.
I guess most people and dealers would check to make sure PS fluid is full but not replacing the fluid.

If the tech thought poor maintenance was a large contributing factor to the rack failing, then maybe Lexus is partly responsible for not recommending PS fluid replacement.
Old 09-03-11, 06:00 AM
RxInAtl
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ring-rack.html

See my earlier post - mechanic told me 1 out of 3 is leaking and all on the right side.
Old 09-04-11, 06:36 PM
Dragking91
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveJ
I had our RX330 in at Toyota for its 95K oil change and the dealer told me the steering rack and pinion unit was leaking oil and will eventually be a dangerous situation. They showed me the leak, which was a wet boot.

This dealership told me that the entire unit had to be replaced either with a new or refurbished unit. They could not repair it. For the refurb unit, it would cost about $1400 including labor.

Has anyone had this happen to your RX? If so, what did you do about it? I'm very disappointed that this non-routine maintenance item failed with such a high repair cost. I know at nearly 100K miles anything can happen, but it still hurts. I wonder if there was ever a recall or TSB on the rack and pinion unit.

Because it's also time for a timing belt, water pump, and by the end of this year, new tires, I'm starting to think maybe trade-in is the best option.

Thanks for your suggestions.
There are only two ways for you right now. One is to get it fix before it destroy other components with it leaks (Oil will expand with heat and love to be in contact with rubber hoses/wires etc..) which will cost you even more. The other is like you said to trade in but even if you trade the car in the dealer will have it inspect and with a leaking problem they will give you next to nothing. (trade it is already a rip off but if your car has a problem then it will only make it worse). If you car is paid off i would just fix it and keep it. If you trade it in your looking at least 3-4k if not worse below the retail market for your car, with those 3-4k you can have everything fix and payments free.

Last edited by Dragking91; 09-04-11 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-06-11, 02:21 PM
Gilmore42
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by myLexRX
your dealer is either lying or does not know it. I am 100% sure that an AWD Highlander V6 has the same part.

here is one for you

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...Q5fAccessories
Hey LexRX, is this the one you bought?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Reman...ht_1116wt_1165

How is it holding up?
Old 11-13-11, 05:20 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lexus114
mine is leaking too. I`m not worried about it. Hell with it,it isnt bad at all yet.
Just had the radiator replaced this weekend; saw the part and it was leaking in several spots and rusted on the bottom. Messy. Paid for labor at a local garage; had the radiator shipped to me. So far so good.

Have been having some shaking in the steering since I side angled into a manhole cover. Had 4 wheels balanced and then an alignment; now problem is barely there; I can live with it.

But when Sears did the alignment they said my rack and pinion is leaking. Had to put about 2-3 ounces of steering fluid in it yesterday... Having never done this before I have no idea how often it has been topped off at oil changes. Have removed the cover (passenger side over the power steering fluid receptacle) and keeping it off as I suspect it is not always removed for inspection when oil changes are done.

Lexus114- at what point would you feel you need to replace the rack and pinion? E.g., how much leakage? If I just keep filling with power steering fluid, could the leak do any serious harm? Btw, I see that others on the forum have purchased refurbished. But what would the labor be on this? Thanks.

Last edited by quantfutur; 11-13-11 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-14-11, 10:47 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by quantfutur
Just had the radiator replaced this weekend; saw the part and it was leaking in several spots and rusted on the bottom. Messy. Paid for labor at a local garage; had the radiator shipped to me. So far so good.

Have been having some shaking in the steering since I side angled into a manhole cover. Had 4 wheels balanced and then an alignment; now problem is barely there; I can live with it.

But when Sears did the alignment they said my rack and pinion is leaking. Had to put about 2-3 ounces of steering fluid in it yesterday... Having never done this before I have no idea how often it has been topped off at oil changes. Have removed the cover (passenger side over the power steering fluid receptacle) and keeping it off as I suspect it is not always removed for inspection when oil changes are done.

Lexus114- at what point would you feel you need to replace the rack and pinion? E.g., how much leakage? If I just keep filling with power steering fluid, could the leak do any serious harm? Btw, I see that others on the forum have purchased refurbished. But what would the labor be on this? Thanks.

mine is only in the weeping/to very little dripping right now. if I had to add fluid, I`d start looking into getting it done. Right now thats not the case.

Quick Reply: Rack and Pinion Unit Leaking Oil