RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Weapon-R intake review :)

Old 07-04-10, 01:38 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weapon-R intake review :)

Hey I wanted to say without hopefully thread jacking. that I installed the intake tonight. Pretty much what I expected. A nice gain in airflow. Torque gain mostly. I like it. Not the usual slug. Not a turbo people. Just a nice gain.

$200 for the nicer one I got and abt. $140 for the cheaper one. Weapon-R. Here is an ebay link: Link

After thoughts are the install was allot longer than expected. Toyota really makes sure there are allot of vacuums and such. Once I was able to figure out what went where and took out the entire OEM intake box things went smoothly.

Weapon R provides enough extra stuff. However I think they would have put just a tad more into a smarter design where the intake turned in towards the OEM intake area towards the grill. There design is a regular pipe with some modifications. Not much rocket science The engine will be a bit louder. Definitely rev. a bit more but you will prob. move more as well

One thing to note that is important: Your check engine light and VSC light will prob. be on. I was not happy at all The solution was simply to reset the codes. Yup disconnect the battery and so on. After that I was good to go. and go I did

Weapon R was smart to release this item cause I can't find ANY other company that has made an intake for our cars so far.

Heh I will try to remember to take better pics I got done with the install at abt. 10pm and had to try to take at least one. But it's not the most attractive intake. It is what it is and works.
Old 07-04-10, 08:23 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like my intake as well. Once you get over the "stomp on the gas to hear the great engine sound", you will also notice an improvement in fuel economy
Old 07-04-10, 02:33 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

And this car really needs better MPG I tell you.
Old 07-04-10, 06:18 PM
action
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

intake actually reduces fuel economy...
Old 07-04-10, 11:25 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

I don' see why. I know there are debates on this.
Old 07-05-10, 06:22 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by action
intake actually reduces fuel economy...
On stock configuration I was getting 450 km to a tank if gas now with the engine breathing better I'm getting 600 km per tank. Numbers tend not to lie
Old 07-05-10, 09:35 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people that would install this tend to have a heavy foot because they like the power & sound too. Hense, the MPG goes in wrong direction.
Old 07-05-10, 10:36 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Most people that would install this tend to have a heavy foot because they like the power & sound too. Hense, the MPG goes in wrong direction.
Precisely !
Old 07-05-10, 12:04 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by diverchris
On stock configuration I was getting 450 km to a tank if gas now with the engine breathing better I'm getting 600 km per tank. Numbers tend not to lie
Wow, you sure you didn't need to reset the computer to begin with? Only 450 km (~280 miles) on a tank according to the computer? That is quite low, IMHO. My computer routinely reads 360 miles (~580 km) using regular in my 2004 FWD RX330 with the stock setup. That is not highway driving either.
Old 07-05-10, 01:24 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Meh.... the extra torque does not make it a race car. One gets over the initial Torque over time. I always do.
Old 07-05-10, 02:10 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by infinirx
Meh.... the extra torque does not make it a race car. One gets over the initial Torque over time. I always do.
I bet from time to time u still go for it though, there goes the MPG downwards.
If not, congrats.
Old 07-05-10, 05:03 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

I bet from time to time u still go for it though, there goes the MPG downwards.
If not, congrats.
But it's such an insignificant "point". Must it be said or this thread is incomplete? Do that with any car under any circumstance your going to lose MPG. If I am actually saving MPG at all and hitting hit once in a while than it's a small percentage, if at worst I am ending up with the same MPG than before without ANY foot stomping at all possibly.

I am having first hand experience with two intakes on two different cars. From the last one and this one the torque was/is very obvious. The Car also in general moves faster and seems to be breathing so much better. Over all I might or might not lose or gain a mile or two MPG. Still it's a better driving experience over all without going the illegal route in this state and putting in some Turbo or SC.
Old 07-07-10, 06:09 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a video so we can hear it? I'm pretty sure it sounds like other intakes but it's always nice to watch vids
Old 07-08-10, 12:31 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

lol! Yeah it's pretty common. Nicer sounding than my xA intake but not as nice looking. It's pretty much just one short pipe and filter. Nothing pretty as the on in my xA much nicer to look at.
Old 07-09-10, 07:58 PM
vg1134
Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Wow, you sure you didn't need to reset the computer to begin with? Only 450 km (~280 miles) on a tank according to the computer? That is quite low, IMHO. My computer routinely reads 360 miles (~580 km) using regular in my 2004 FWD RX330 with the stock setup. That is not highway driving either.
Regular gas ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weapon-R intake review :)