RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Timing Belt at 60K for an '04 RX 330?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-10, 07:27 AM
noz34me
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Timing Belt at 60K for an '04 RX 330?

Wanted to get opinions on this. Wife's RX has 59K so 60K service is coming up; should I get the timing belt done now, not because of mileage but because of age?
Old 06-21-10, 07:48 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

This just my suggestion .. if things go wrong, you will be on your own. I would wait for 90k.

I would still ask the mechanic to check for condition of the belt (it is possible to see a small section) and hear for any idler noise in the belt train.

Salim

ps: Do a search to get more advice.

Last edited by salimshah; 06-21-10 at 07:49 AM. Reason: ps
Old 06-21-10, 01:04 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
This just my suggestion .. if things go wrong, you will be on your own. I would wait for 90k.

I would still ask the mechanic to check for condition of the belt (it is possible to see a small section) and hear for any idler noise in the belt train.

Salim

ps: Do a search to get more advice.
not trying to be rude, but have you ever tried to look at the timing belt? you are looking at about an hours labour just to look at the back side of the belt, more if you want to see the ribs, and for what? to get a visual inspection? waste of time, you cant tell by looking at a belt its condition (unless its mssing teeth)

the owners manual is your friend, it has mileage and time for everything, so follow it, change your belt now, if it breaks, you wont have warranty, but you will have a bill for alot of cash.

i got mine done for under 400 bucks (75 for parts, and 325 for labour) since the water pump doesnt wear i didnt bother, just had them check it for bearing roughness and leakage (it was ok)
Old 06-21-10, 01:06 PM
dhamaka127
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my timing belt done at 95K (wanted to do it at 90K but i waiting until my oil change cycle)

Also did the drive belts, tranny flush, coolant flush, front and rear differential oils replaced, and of course oil change!
Old 06-22-10, 06:03 AM
pjm207
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dhamaka127
I just got my timing belt done at 95K (wanted to do it at 90K but i waiting until my oil change cycle)

Also did the drive belts, tranny flush, coolant flush, front and rear differential oils replaced, and of course oil change!
what did all that run if you don't mind me asking? And dealership or private garage?
Old 06-22-10, 06:18 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pjm207
what did all that run if you don't mind me asking? And dealership or private garage?
X2
Old 06-22-10, 06:35 AM
noz34me
Rookie

Originally Posted by kiwi
not trying to be rude, but have you ever tried to look at the timing belt? you are looking at about an hours labour just to look at the back side of the belt, more if you want to see the ribs, and for what? to get a visual inspection? waste of time, you cant tell by looking at a belt its condition (unless its mssing teeth)

the owners manual is your friend, it has mileage and time for everything, so follow it, change your belt now, if it breaks, you wont have warranty, but you will have a bill for alot of cash.

i got mine done for under 400 bucks (75 for parts, and 325 for labour) since the water pump doesnt wear i didnt bother, just had them check it for bearing roughness and leakage (it was ok)
Once they get far enough in to do the timing belt, the water pump replacement is basically done for just about the cost of the part. My concern would be the added tension from a new belt might be an issue down the road, and at that point you would be looking at the labor cost all over again.

I think I'm going to combine the 60K and 90K service into one; at that point she'll be good to go except for normal oil/fluids and torque checks for a couple of years. Thanks for the input- - I hate interference engines.
Old 06-22-10, 07:55 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by dhamaka127

How much did this set you back?
Old 06-22-10, 08:26 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by noz34me
Once they get far enough in to do the timing belt, the water pump replacement is basically done for just about the cost of the part. My concern would be the added tension from a new belt might be an issue down the road, and at that point you would be looking at the labor cost all over again.

I think I'm going to combine the 60K and 90K service into one; at that point she'll be good to go except for normal oil/fluids and torque checks for a couple of years. Thanks for the input- - I hate interference engines.

Changing the water pump is a premptive and not a preventive change. The tensioner in the belt path is supposed to keep the tension the same (new or old belt). If it makes you feel better then have it replaced. I gave it a brief thought at 90K and did not change it (it was visually examined). The idler was replaced and I think it is the weakest link in the chain. At 180k, I will reconsider to replace or keep the water pump.

If it was not for VVTi it would not be an interference engine. The advantages of VVTI make it worth it. If the belt is replaced at 90k, I think the failure rate is zero.

Salim
Old 06-22-10, 09:42 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

This was at Motorworld Lexus in PA. The total was 1720 but I had 750 in points so it came out to ~1000.

The 90K service was 1250
spark plugs 250
timing belt (only part) 20
coolant flush 200

Also I had warrantee work done on it like, rear passenger wheel bearing, also new radiator (because of leak). These two items were covered under warrantee.

I was kind of suprized that the water pump didnt get changed. the service rep said that it didnt need to be since it was working just fine. I thought it was weird because normally i do the timing belt and the water pump together all the time!
Old 06-22-10, 10:03 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by noz34me
Not a good idea. The 60K and 90K should not be combined. If you mean you will have the 60K done at other than dealer and only go to the dealer at 90K then it is a sound choice.

Salim
Old 06-22-10, 03:50 PM
noz34me
Rookie

Not a good idea. The 60K and 90K should not be combined. If you mean you will have the 60K done at other than dealer and only go to the dealer at 90K then it is a sound choice.

Salim
Please explain your logic.
Old 06-22-10, 04:37 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Changing the water pump is a premptive and not a preventive change. The tensioner in the belt path is supposed to keep the tension the same (new or old belt). If it makes you feel better then have it replaced. I gave it a brief thought at 90K and did not change it (it was visually examined). The idler was replaced and I think it is the weakest link in the chain. At 180k, I will reconsider to replace or keep the water pump.

If it was not for VVTi it would not be an interference engine. The advantages of VVTI make it worth it. If the belt is replaced at 90k, I think the failure rate is zero.

Salim
could you also enlighten us all how having variable valve timing means the engine is an interference design??

there are lots of interference without VVTi as well as some with VVTi and not interference
Old 06-22-10, 04:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

hmm my 04 with 108,000 miles has not had the timing belt changed. I am holding it off because I plan to get rid of the vehicle before September
Old 06-23-10, 06:16 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
hmm my 04 with 108,000 miles has not had the timing belt changed. I am holding it off because I plan to get rid of the vehicle before September
you will be fine,dont fall into this worry about the timing belt thing here.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt at 60K for an '04 RX 330?