RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

05 rx330 handling

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-10, 02:42 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 rx330 handling

Hello folks. Just picked up an 05 Rx330 awd. Now Im fully aware its not a sport ute or a sports car but Im a bit spooked by its handling especially transitional. I traded in an 05 350z for it so you can understand its a biiigggg adjustment for me driving something this soft.

Questions.

(1) Is there sway bars for this vehicle that could control the body roll better with ough having to drop the suspension etc? I searched but didnt find much along the handling subject other than Eibach springs. I want to retain the cushy ride just want to control the body roll better.

(2) Whats the widest rim that can be fitted to the RX? Im not trying to turn it into a caricature just want it to look less ponderous that with those skinny stock tires/rim. Didnt see a photo gallery of the RX models on this site. Theres one for the other Lexus models but not the RX lol. I know shes not a sexy beast but I figured some would have tried to improve her a bit.

Anyway go easy on me its my first Lexus and first post...Thanks for your time.
Old 06-01-10, 04:40 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Search for tire threads here and you'll find some who have gone up to 255 size. Can't help you on the sway bars other than go to hotchkis or other manufacturer websites. Welcome to the club.
Old 06-01-10, 02:30 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Thanks for the reply Adam. Guess Im in the minority with wanting to upgrade the roll stiffness. I checked the tires searches and found a little info so thanks for the suggestion. Just wanted some 19-20"ers with around 265 widths...Ill keep looking.
Old 06-01-10, 03:27 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you opt for one with the sport package?? at least then you have a better suited tire size as well as a better transmission and better suspension.

only other suggestion would be to find beafier sway bars, which dont sound to be available
Old 06-01-10, 03:42 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

22" looks good. Do you have the air suspension?
Old 08-07-10, 03:45 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Man I fell off the boat for awhile lol. Well putting off the wheels till I fix suspension first. Just got new KYB shocks/mounts and Eibach springs, EBC rotors and 7000 F/6000R pads. Cant wait till they come. Should give me what Im looking for. Ive finally adjusted to life without sportscar handling and speed lol. So my needs for stiffer roll bar and handling is diminished

Getting dash rattle fixed by dealer also so my 05 will be better than how I got it which was actually in near excellent condition besides the worn shocks, bad paint job on drivers door and the dash rattle Added bonus I just found out I have the ML system. Didnt know because there is no marking on the unit but dealer since I have the nav and rear camera its the ML system as you cant get it seperate from the nav/backup cam. Didnt know much about the cars options before I bought it. Still learning.
Old 08-08-10, 03:41 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZERO5RX330, you simply need some time. I used Daimler V8 Super before Lexus RX, so when I did my first drive with RX350, handling was awful. However, it will look just fine after a month or two.
Old 08-08-10, 06:08 AM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by ManXP
ZERO5RX330, you simply need some time. I used Daimler V8 Super before Lexus RX, so when I did my first drive with RX350, handling was awful. However, it will look just fine after a month or two.
Funny you should mention a month or two. Its gonna be exactly 2 months tommorow since I bought my RX. Its funny how it just relaxes you after a month or two without you realizing it. I find myself driving so relaxed and slow now that people have blown their horns at me lol. Its like novocane compared to the 350z. I feel like Im Morgan Freeman driving Miss Daisy. What happened to my testosterone levels since I got into this vehicle lol. Ill get into another sportscar in a year or two to get the pulse going when I need it.

Its like relaxation therapy on wheels I do like it alot now though. Shes a keeper.
Old 08-08-10, 10:29 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I understand you very well. I also was a "racer-boy" before owning RX However, now I feel good driving this car
Old 08-08-10, 04:40 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I feel like Im Morgan Freeman driving Miss Daisy. What happened to my testosterone levels since I got into this vehicle
If I have one complaint about the '05 RX330, it's the soft suspension and roll, but my wife likes it. So whenever I need a kick in the pants, I jump in the '02 SC430 and rev up that V8 with the manual c-gate shifter. Come home feeling like the testosterone levels are restored
Old 08-08-10, 06:15 PM
FuGSOwner
Driver School Candidate

How much you paid for the car? What's the mileage?
Old 08-09-10, 05:04 PM
ZERO5RX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by ManXP
Yeah, I understand you very well. I also was a "racer-boy" before owning RX However, now I feel good driving this car
....Yeah its grown on me. Gotta do something about those skinny wheels though

Originally Posted by Poqman
If I have one complaint about the '05 RX330, it's the soft suspension and roll, but my wife likes it. So whenever I need a kick in the pants, I jump in the '02 SC430 and rev up that V8 with the manual c-gate shifter. Come home feeling like the testosterone levels are restored
Yeah Im gonna have to get back in a sportcar in the near future but the RX330 is a keeper.

Originally Posted by FuGSOwner
How much you paid for the car? What's the mileage?
Under 16k with about 60k miles. Didnt want car payments or I would have gone with a newer much more expensive model.

EDIT: Once again it seems salesmen dont always know what they are selling. I DONT have the ML sound system Its the 9 speaker premium system? I believe. I only counted 8 speakers visible though. Woofer that I cant see probably the 9th speaker. Oh well its actually the best factory radio Ive ever heard. I turn the volume way way up and its still relatively clean. My Z would have exploded if I did that with that cheap Bose system.
Old 08-10-10, 11:48 AM
Jeff92se
Driver

I would love a set of swaybars for my 400h.
Old 08-10-10, 10:41 PM
phlfly
Driver

I have almost flipped it over on the first hwy exit during test drive. Even salesmen was trying to joke "it's not a BMW", but funny thing I have BMW with sport package( rear wheel wider and have different offset). I was buying a family of course. It's a little soft, but I got lucky with this car because it has sport package.
Old 08-12-10, 04:48 AM
FuGSOwner
Driver School Candidate

Under 16k with about 60k miles. Didnt want car payments or I would have gone with a newer much more expensive model.

EDIT: Once again it seems salesmen dont always know what they are selling. I DONT have the ML sound system Its the 9 speaker premium system? I believe. I only counted 8 speakers visible though. Woofer that I cant see probably the 9th speaker. Oh well its actually the best factory radio Ive ever heard. I turn the volume way way up and its still relatively clean. My Z would have exploded if I did that with that cheap Bose system.[/QUOTE]

Wow, 16K for 60K miles! You got a good deal. May i ask which dealership you got the CPO suv from? I am looking for a suv with those mileage and in the 15 to 20K price range. I've checked out the Lexus CPO website and the cheapest listed is around 25K. thanks

Quick Reply: 05 rx330 handling