RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 OEM Chrome Wheel Woes

Old 05-26-10, 06:48 PM
cclingma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 OEM Chrome Wheel Woes

Our 08 RX350 has the OEM 17" chrome wheels and they're proving to be a disappointment. The chrome is trying to flake off against my best efforts to keep them clean. Anyone have any experience with Lexus maybe repairing/replacing these wheels or am I just going to be an aggravated Lexus owner?

Thanks.
Old 05-26-10, 07:04 PM
noz34me
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an '04 RX with paint flaking off mine. At least mine is a problem fairly well known.

I come to the conclusion that Lexus' can not make or purchase from a vendor wheels that last (at least cosmetically). Sad commentary for a premier luxury car, but I chalk it up to poor oversight on their part like the headlight condensation, luggage rack crossbar latches, etc.
Old 05-27-10, 07:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Due to the EPA banning of certain chemicals,chrome quality isn't good.Especially if you live in a winter climate with salt spread on roads.
Old 05-27-10, 08:11 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This vehicle is still under warranty and I would take it to the dealer and complain. If you get no satisfaction, I would then call Lexus corporate and politely complain. Many times corporate will take take care of the problem.
Old 05-27-10, 09:10 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Chrome wheels were never an OEM for Lexus, or am I missing something?
Old 05-27-10, 09:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Chrome wheels were never an OEM for Lexus, or am I missing something?
Probably a dealer accessory.
The chrome Lexus wheels are on Ebay a lot with a wheel exchange for about $600 or out right buy for a lot more..
Old 05-27-10, 05:55 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealers send their alloys to local shops to get them Chromed. Thats how it was for my RX when I got it replaced due to flaking
Old 05-28-10, 03:54 AM
cclingma
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the info.

I'm only assuming that the wheels are OEM as we purchased the RX from a dealer as a CPO auto and the wheels were on it then. They look pretty much exactly like the wheels from most RXs of the time but are chrome plated. Sounds as though they may have been sent out for chrome plating by the dealer. I'll have to make some calls.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-10, 08:21 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Probably OEM, stripped and chromed. Could have been sold by the Lexus dealer, too. But obviously not Lexus guaranteed. Dealer needs to be chased.
Old 05-28-10, 04:28 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it was an option so therefore should be covered under warranty if you qualify for it. Take it to the dealer and let them take care of it.
Old 05-28-10, 07:46 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by veleno
I believe it was an option so therefore should be covered under warranty if you qualify for it. Take it to the dealer and let them take care of it.
I too think that it is a dealer option and not Lexus option ... just like pin stripes etc. If I am right, then you have to go back to the dealer for their ad on ... unlike Lexus covered items that would be honored in the country of purchase.

Salim
Old 05-29-10, 04:18 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by noz34me
I have an '04 RX with paint flaking off mine. At least mine is a problem fairly well known.

I come to the conclusion that Lexus' can not make or purchase from a vendor wheels that last (at least cosmetically). Sad commentary for a premier luxury car, but I chalk it up to poor oversight on their part like the headlight condensation, luggage rack crossbar latches, etc.
I agree, Rim problems have been documented on the GX and IS forums as well. Hard to imagine paying $$$$$ for a luxury car and having these problems.
Old 05-29-10, 04:37 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The previous owner(s) of my LS had no idea how to park and all 4 OEM chrome wheels have nasty curb rash. The wheel with the worst scrapes needed a tire repair and I had the folks at Belle Tire put the repaired tire on the unused spare wheel from the trunk. That still leaves three slightly less-bad wheels, though. Two body shops said that there is no good, low cost solution to the problem like the $125-$150 refurb process you can get on non-chrome alloy wheels. It looks like my options are:

- Live with them and only use the scraped wheels for my summer tires - and cringe every time I wash the car.
- Use the scraped wheels for my winter tires - and hasten the process of making them uglier.
- Investigate a place in Columbus, OH (and somewhere in PA) that sells refurb factory wheels for about $200 each, plus exchange of your old wheel of equal or greater original value.
Old 06-29-10, 07:35 PM
cclingma
Driver School Candidate

Took the car to the dealer and they ordered a new set of wheels for us. Wow! The service rep said they are aware of the problem and explained the situation of modern chrome being less than durable and stated the same causes of EPA requirements that are posted above.

So I was driving home all happy and loving the Lexus when I realized he said they would be Permachrome wheels. Still happy I'm now wondering if I should have asked more questions. Does Permachrome tell me that again I will have a set of factory wheels that have been stripped and plated with some sort of aftermarket process?
Old 06-30-10, 06:22 AM
shoebopper
Rookie

Caddyowner:

Where in Columbus, OH (my neck of the woods) would I find the place you speak of? I have documented my concerns over the crappy chrome on my wheels as well, only to be told "sorry, your tough luck" by the dealer and Lexus corporate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX350 OEM Chrome Wheel Woes