RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Mirror tilt and highway shaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 01:46 PM
jwalke02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror tilt and highway shaking

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and glad i found it. Have owned my CPO 2009 rx350 for a few months, and experiencing some small issues.

So the dumb question... should both mirrors tilt down equal, or does the driver side mirror tilt less because it is the driver side?

The harder question. I read a few threads about the steering wheel shaking on highways, at higher speeds. I had this issue, as well as what felt like a grinding (or pressure at least) under the accelerator... only around 75 mph. I drive 30 miles on the highway to work each way and have spent considerable time at these speeds.

So i had the car serviced, they rebalanced it, and now i still experience some shaking...almost more than before.... right around 70mph... but at 75-80mph is stops. Am i crazy, is there any explanation? The worst part is that i live near NYC and used the Manhattan dealership so there is no highway for them to feel the shaking. Are these cars suppose to be smooth whether driving 25mph, 50mph, or 75mph???? I always thought so.

thanks in advance.... love the car, but the shaking drives me crazy and trying to understand it better.

Joe
Old 05-17-10, 01:53 PM
metal
Driver School Candidate

Go where they do a "road-force" balance and that will fix
the problem or tell you that you have a bent wheel. Can't help on the mirror problem...
Old 05-17-10, 02:26 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

You have a CPO, just take it in and have them look at it. They will fix it.
Old 05-17-10, 03:00 PM
tm510
Rookie

My car exhibited wheel shake at 70. It was diagnosed as "tires", and new tires was the cure.

I'd expect a dealer, even a Manhattan dealer where highways aren't handy, should be able to resolve it. However I have heard the excuse of a dealer not replicating a problem that occurs above the speed limit, as to do so would violate law. Hmmm. Tell them to trust you.
Old 05-17-10, 04:56 PM
Solatso
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same problem, here's my experience so far :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ake-issue.html

Mind you I have some other symptoms that you may not have.

Oh and as for the mirror thing here is what I was told :

The mirror tilts based on it's starting position while the car is in "PARK", so if you have it tilted down a bit already it won't "appear" to go down as much as the other one. To that I said "then why is it when I move the mirror around with my hand it seems to work fine for a little while then stop working again?" They said that all it's doing is "recalibrating" where it "should" be.

Whatever, I think they just don't wanna admit they messed up with these mirrors. My BMW has auto-tilt mirrors and they go all the way down no matter what position they start in. They basically ended the conversation when I mentioned that.
Old 05-18-10, 01:56 PM
jwalke02
Driver School Candidate

Thanks very much for the posts.

Update on the mirror is that I tested the full tilt range to be sure the motor worked. It seems to be fine. Yet the driver side clearly tilts slightly less than the passenger side. Now, maybe I am crazy... too meticulous... but when you pay what we did for these vehicles you expect a level of perfection...right? No doubt that tilting mirrors was a COST we paid.... ha.

My dealer is great, Manhattan for anyone who has worked with them. They are happy to take the car back again and this time are going to have a di-tech person drive it home to be sure he gets to 70-75mph on a highway to feel the shaking. And by shaking I don't mean "roller coaster"... but if i had my eyes closed while driving i would without question know when i approached this speed. Again, for a car of this quality and price... this can't be normal and shouldn't be acceptable.

The tires seem in great shape, with little wear as far as I can tell. I also felt some of the break "slippage" that was mention... seems that has subsided since the last service. They blamed a glossy substance on the "new" brakes and had it taken off. So far this has worked great.

Love to hear more stories on break slippage or wheel shaking.

Also, did anyone experience the grinding or friction under the accelerator? This still blows my mind...happened more frequently before the last re-balance but i have felt it briefly since. Funny how i swapped a very noticeable grind/friction under my accelerator for a wheel shake during a dealer re-balance.

thanks again,
Joe
Old 05-19-10, 07:32 AM
Solatso
Driver School Candidate

My dealer is picking the car up today so I drove it to work this morning instead of the wife and one thing I did notice was that when the shaking issue was happening if I came to a complete stop and let off the brake the car wouldn't budge until I gave it gas. When giving it gas under that circumstance there was a slight "grinding/sliding" sound coming from the right front wheel. The brakes are definitely sticking, what's causing that to happen I don't know yet. Hopefully I'll find out today.
Old 05-19-10, 09:48 AM
jwalke02
Driver School Candidate

I am having the dealer pick up my car on Friday and will post the results here as well. Thanks!

During my ride to work today I did some tests. The steering wheel literally shakes at the exact moment when 72/73 mph is reached and will continue till about 78 when driving in a straight line (on a highway turn the shake is less noticeable). Then going faster (pls dont judge, empty road and just testing) I had the "grinding/friction" sensation under the accelerator around 85mph.

Perhaps i'm wrong, but these cars should be smooth...drive the same... whether 25mp, 50mph, or 90mph right? Or is this car meant for jumping around town and not for open highway driving? (which sounds ridiculous). My wife has a 2009 CRV and i can promise you that car drives the same on a smooth road no matter what speed. This is what bothers me so much...i don't NEED to drive 80mph... but when i do there shouldn't be shaking or grinding...right?

thanks to all, Joe
Old 05-19-10, 10:03 AM
farcry80
Driver School Candidate

Hey Joe,
You described my highway shaking situation to the tee. I am running into the same issue but decided to "live" with it for now. So happy to hear I am not the only one.

Please do post your results as to what this is.
Thanks.
Old 05-19-10, 01:17 PM
Solatso
Driver School Candidate

Just a quick update on my end of the problem.

The dealership determined it's a caliper seizing up and are replacing it under our CPO warranty. They could have saved me and them a bunch of time by checking that the FIRST time when I told them what was happening but hey, whatever.
Old 05-27-10, 03:11 PM
jwalke02
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys -

Update on this end is that the dealer determined I had two tires with uneven wear and ended up replacing them under the CPO program (RX was purchased in March, so not my wear on the tires). My salesman promised that two different di-techs (huh?) tested the car and are satisfied. I have yet to pick the car up, so can't confirm, but I assume that since this is my second service in two weeks...they want this fixed and me out of their dealership! I work with Manhattan Lexus and the service is top notch... truly believe they were concerned and put in quality time with my car. If you are in the market, ask for SAL in CPO sales...he's awesome.

Thanks for the posts and replies...hope everyone's issues get resolved. -Joe
Old 06-02-10, 05:20 AM
jwalke02
Driver School Candidate

Morning -

I am happy to report that two new front tires (compliments of the dealer) have resolved my shaking and grinding issues at highway speeds. I can also confirm that the car feels/handles a bit better overall as these tires are on the front.

Now this brings me to a whole new topic, which i will post NEW, discussing tire wear and what is acceptable. My car had 25k miles when purchased and they CPO dept told me the tires were "fine" yet here I am 3,000 miles later getting two replaced cause of uneven wear. Now i question whether i need to replace the back two (my expense) to have a set of four to be rotated and wear evenly going forward. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Joe
Old 06-08-10, 07:25 PM
raygut3
Driver School Candidate

Both mirrors should tilt the same. My passenger side mirror stopped tilting completely and I had it replaced under warranty. About two weeks later the driver side mirror stopped tilting completely and I had it replaced also.
Old 06-08-10, 08:28 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would replace the rear tires with the same brand as the dealer used. Out of curiosity, what brand of tire did the dealer install?
Old 06-11-10, 02:43 PM
h265dcs
Driver School Candidate

To avoid driver side (left) mirror tilting, place the mirror switch in the off position "center"

If the switch is on to the left side, the mirror is programmed to move down while you reverse according to Lexus service reps, but i noticed it tilts in drive mode, i believe the mirror is programed to move along with the auto leveling HID feature. i resolved all the issues by keeping the mirror swith in center position.