RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus RX 330 driver mirror is not working..

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 03:53 PM
natalietr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lexus RX 330 driver mirror is not working..

Hello, I just bought an RX 330 recently and the mirror on the driver side is not working. Not even when I tried to do some minor adjustment to the mirror before I drive the car. I do not hear any motor running or any sound when I push on the mirror adjustment button (and yes, I did put the switch to the left). So does this mean the motor that controlling the mirror is out...or dead? Do I need to replace the motor or the whole mirror--the motor and frames as well? If I do need to replace this, does it considered as a "mechanical break down" since it's the motor that is failing?

Thanks..

Please help.
Old 04-27-10, 04:58 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Do you have warranty? Are you still qualified to get extended warranty? If yes, get it and then get it repaired. Otherwise it will cost you around $300.
Old 04-28-10, 11:33 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed it when I test drove my 2004 CPO RX. They replaced both mirror motors before I took delivery of the car. I think these motors are somewhat of a common problem, along with condensation in the drivers side headlight which they also fixed.

If its under warranty, take it in, they should fix it without an issue.
Old 04-28-10, 11:36 AM
natalietr
Driver School Candidate

It's not under the original warranty anymore but I did get an extended warranty for the car when I bought it.
So does it cover under the extended warranty?
Old 04-28-10, 11:41 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

It should still be covered, but it will probably depend on what the warranty you bought covers. They fixed mine, no questions asked.

Just be sure they don't tighten the mirror too tight and strip the screw that holds the mirror on. After I took delivery I noticed the mirror was vibrating. When I finally got around to taking it in, apparently they stripped the screw. They ordered a new one and I'll get it changed when I get a chance. The mirror won't fall off, but the vibration is annoying you.
Might want to mention it to the tech so 1 problem doesn't turn into two.
Old 04-28-10, 03:11 PM
natalietr
Driver School Candidate

alright, thanks you. I will bring it in to them to get it fix. I'll also watch out about the vibrating mirror

thanks abunch...
Old 04-28-10, 05:38 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Sure thing, they've had to do a couple of things since I got it, which were all taken care of under warranty.

1) Mirror motor replacement (prior to delivery)
2) Vibrating miror (noticed after delivery, on order)
3) Visor mount at headliner
4) Drivers headlight condensation (headlight unit replaced)

It sounds like a lot, but really I am overall very pleased with our RX. I came from 3 Acuras and I cross shopped the MDX and the RDX was nicer, about the same size (thought MDX would be considerably bigger, RX lacks only in rear compartment room) and although the Lexus isn't as sportier, the leather is better, interior materials seem better and ride is smoother (important since wife is pregnant.

Hopefully we'll have good luck with our 04 RX330.
Old 04-28-10, 07:11 PM
phlfly
Driver

When I bought mine, I had a very bad sound coming out from both mirror motor, looked like would stop working at any given moment. The WD-40 fixed a problem, but sprayed a lot. Now a nice and quite sound from mirror motors.
May be it will help to someone.
Old 04-29-10, 10:54 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I got my CPO RX400h, the passenger mirror had been broken off before and was glued back together with epoxy glue. I made the dealer replace a brand new OE mirror
and change out the cover to Nigel's led side mirror covers.
Old 04-29-10, 06:52 PM
phlfly
Driver

Do you have DIY how to changed a cover?
My right side had chipped.
Old 04-30-10, 02:31 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can contact Nigel for instructions, it's not easy though since you have to remove the pins on the plug of the side mirror
Old 05-02-10, 10:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by natalietr
Hello, I just bought an RX 330 recently and the mirror on the driver side is not working. Not even when I tried to do some minor adjustment to the mirror before I drive the car. I do not hear any motor running or any sound when I push on the mirror adjustment button (and yes, I did put the switch to the left). So does this mean the motor that controlling the mirror is out...or dead? Do I need to replace the motor or the whole mirror--the motor and frames as well? If I do need to replace this, does it considered as a "mechanical break down" since it's the motor that is failing?

Thanks..

Please help.
Not working at all? Will it go up and down at least?

Have seen mine not work after trips to the car wash. Would go up and down, however, not left and right. Pressing on the left side of the mirror to force it out all the way for whatever reason allows the mirror to be adjustable via the buttons. Almost like there is a center point on the motor and it has somehow gotten stuck on one end.
Old 05-03-10, 03:28 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

What you do not want to do is to Manually force the mirror around. The plastic hinge inside the mirror is surprisingly fragile, and once it is broken you need to replace the whole mechanism (they do not sell replacement pieces, only the whole mechanism).
Old 02-02-12, 06:36 AM
SaraBlu
Driver School Candidate

This is goign to sound crazy, but how the heck can you fold the windows in so they don't get hit while parked on the street. I see where mirrors adjustment button is. I see no button or such to have them close in. HELP
Old 02-02-12, 09:33 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mirrors

The electronic folding mirrors is a option on the newer RXs. On the older ones you have to do it by hand.

Just pull on the outside edge. And they fold in towards the car.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX 330 driver mirror is not working..