RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Appropriate Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-10, 01:38 PM
CarNutTO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put Nokian WRG2 tires on my '05 this past November. Even though we didn't get much snow, they were amazing all winter, and have been great generally. Most of the reviews I've read said that they really are true "all-season" tires.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...okian+WRG2+SUV
Old 05-04-10, 11:35 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how come none has mentioned Hankook tires?
Old 05-04-10, 07:37 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You just did, so can we assume you've had some experience with them? Can you share?

I've never used Hankook, so I didn't mention them. My guess is, everyone else that hasn't mentioned them, hasn't used them either.
Old 05-07-10, 11:41 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rcy
You just did, so can we assume you've had some experience with them? Can you share?

I've never used Hankook, so I didn't mention them. My guess is, everyone else that hasn't mentioned them, hasn't used them either.
All I did is asked if anyone had experience with some other brand than Bridgestone Alenzas. There are silent users of this forum who may read but never post, so please back off.

My personal experience is limited to Michelins, as we're still on the set. But we'll certainly be in the market for a new set of rubber for her in a year.

Saw a 2nd gen RX parked near my work dressed in Kumho Solstice tires. Got a new issue of Car & Driver mag where Toyo tires chose 2nd gen RX to advertise their new tire. Back a few yrs ago there weren't that many choices to tires for RXs equipped with 18" rims, and now looks like we have some choice.
Old 05-07-10, 02:16 PM
tm510
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostyan
how come none has mentioned Hankook tires?
Fair enough. I have Hankook Ventas AS 07 (I think) on my RX and I'm very happy with them. But... and there's always a but.... they're only a week old.

I took off Michelin's as they'd developed a cupping that resulted in steering wheel wobble at about 70 mph, and put these on.

So far, I'd say they're quiet, and I think reasonable. I know we're not saying much about what our other tires are costing, but these were under $700 for the four installed, balanced, etc. And that is for the 18" size. Seemed reasonable to me.

Jerry

2004 SC 430
2005 RX 330
Old 05-10-10, 06:12 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tm510
Fair enough. I have Hankook Ventas AS 07 (I think) on my RX and I'm very happy with them. But... and there's always a but.... they're only a week old.

I took off Michelin's as they'd developed a cupping that resulted in steering wheel wobble at about 70 mph, and put these on.

So far, I'd say they're quiet, and I think reasonable. I know we're not saying much about what our other tires are costing, but these were under $700 for the four installed, balanced, etc. And that is for the 18" size. Seemed reasonable to me.

Jerry

2004 SC 430
2005 RX 330
pricing is one of major factors in choosing tires as well. Figure the installation/balancing/stems would run no more than $30 per wheel, 125 or so per tire is a decent price.
Old 05-10-10, 08:53 AM
tm510
Rookie

Yes, agreed pricing plays a large factor. And at $700 I felt they were a good buy. And so far, so good. I find them smooth and quiet. The truck is new to us, and we're totally sold on what a wonderful vehicle it is.
Old 05-11-10, 10:12 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas. I looked long and hard (I even did a google search here - hint, hint ) and there were enough positive responses to the Bridgestones that I then went to TireRack.com and did a side by side comparison between them and the Michelins. My OEM Michelins lasted into the mid-40s and I was generally happy except that they were mildly noisy as they started to wear. They were good in the snow though.

However, the B'Stones are very quiet, very good in the snow (we had a 20" snowfall and these tires worked well once they got some of the snow off the side roads), cheaper than Michelin and they have a warranty which Michelin does not.

No experience with anything else.
Old 05-11-10, 12:17 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a set of Michelin MXV4 S8 yesterday, replaced the same ones I had before,
I got 58K out of the first set. I did wanted to go 255/55/18 and it didn't sound right, I also looked at 255/50/18 which sound about right but tires were close to $400 each and only had 3 tires at the warehouse
Old 05-11-10, 02:21 PM
noz34me
Rookie

Kumho has a new tire, the Sanus KL21. It's a LRR tire, and designed for SUV's. Bought mine online for $125 + shipping, another $50 to install, so total cost was about $600. They have a treadwear rating of 500. We'll see how the do, but the ride so far is very good.
Old 05-16-10, 09:05 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb Michelin MXV4 S8 is a great tire ....

My RX came with the Michelin MSV4 S8 V-rated tires and I'm extremely happy with them since they have provided excellent wear (has 35,000 miles on them now) and still have enough tread to go for at least 10,000 miles. They also provide very good ride comfort and low road noise but somewhat marginal cornering ability. They offer plenty of traction in deep snow and rain. I'm so impressed with these tires that I bought the same for my other Lexus car.

My cousin had racked up 47,000 miles on his RX OEM Michelin MSV4 S8 before replacing with the same. However, her son had Bridgeston Duelers on his SUV and they were hydroplaning so bad that he replaced them with this Michelin. Maybe people are getting different mileage and experience on their tires because of the way they drive.

At least count ourselves lucky that we don't have the 2010 RX with the 19-inch Bridgestone Duelers because the dealer is telling me the "normal" life on them is about 19,000 miles if lucky. And those babies don't run cheap.
Old 05-16-10, 09:40 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I was unlucky to get Goodyear on my previous RXs. They didn't make it to 20k. Obviously Lexus selects tires for ride comfort rather than practicality.

On the '10, Goodyear has been replaced with Dunlop. So now there are three OEM choices - Dunlop, Bridgestone and Michelin. But I have my eye on something different when the Dunlops go, hopefully somewhere well north of 20k.

Last edited by kitlz; 05-16-10 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 05:57 PM
Coyotes
Driver School Candidate

On my '05 RX, I'm running Kumho Road Venture APT KL51's in the summer, and Bridgestone Blizzak DMZ3's in the winter. Both tires leave a lot to be desired.

I researched both tires long and hard before buying. Tire Rack gave them great ratings, but I've been fighting balancing problems with the Kumhos since day one.

The Blizzaks are good on ice, but rather mediocre on snow....I'd say they're about the same as an average M&S tire overall.

Last edited by Coyotes; 06-16-10 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-17-10, 07:36 AM
TexRB
Driver School Candidate

Default My Alenzas are noisy!

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
Another vote for the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas. I looked long and hard (I even did a google search here - hint, hint ) and there were enough positive responses to the Bridgestones that I then went to TireRack.com and did a side by side comparison between them and the Michelins. My OEM Michelins lasted into the mid-40s and I was generally happy except that they were mildly noisy as they started to wear. They were good in the snow though.

However, the B'Stones are very quiet, very good in the snow (we had a 20" snowfall and these tires worked well once they got some of the snow off the side roads), cheaper than Michelin and they have a warranty which Michelin does not.

No experience with anything else.
I just put Dueler alenzas (18") on my 04 RX330. The OEM Michelins only lasted 17,500 (had 3/32" left and rotated every 5k miles), however, Discount Tire did get me a credit of $34.50/tire, so I saved about $150 w/tax on the Alenzas. I have only had these for 2 days and the noise level is higher than the worn out Michelins. I did a ton of research, and every review said these were quieter than the Michelins. I have 30psi in them - which is the vehicle recommendation. Any ideas as to why these are noisier than everyone else that has them on their RX? I thought about possibly increasing the air pressure, but that would firm up the ride & I believe increase noise even more. I don't want to lower the psi.

I have only driven about 40 miles, so is there an initial break-in period that will quiet down? I have a 30 day guarantee to switch out & my wife doesn't drive much (17,500 miles since we bought the RX new in late '03). I plan to drive it daily to put some miles on the tires before I decide to switch out. I don't want to go back to the Michelins, but not sure what else to try. I was thinking of going with the Parada-X, since they were also rated very high & low noise. Any input would be helpful.
Old 06-17-10, 10:00 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by TexRB
I just put Dueler alenzas (18") on my 04 RX330. The OEM Michelins only lasted 17,500 (had 3/32" left and rotated every 5k miles), however, Discount Tire did get me a credit of $34.50/tire, so I saved about $150 w/tax on the Alenzas. I have only had these for 2 days and the noise level is higher than the worn out Michelins. I did a ton of research, and every review said these were quieter than the Michelins. I have 30psi in them - which is the vehicle recommendation. Any ideas as to why these are noisier than everyone else that has them on their RX? I thought about possibly increasing the air pressure, but that would firm up the ride & I believe increase noise even more. I don't want to lower the psi.

I have only driven about 40 miles, so is there an initial break-in period that will quiet down? I have a 30 day guarantee to switch out & my wife doesn't drive much (17,500 miles since we bought the RX new in late '03). I plan to drive it daily to put some miles on the tires before I decide to switch out. I don't want to go back to the Michelins, but not sure what else to try. I was thinking of going with the Parada-X, since they were also rated very high & low noise. Any input would be helpful.
TexRB, I had around 33-34 PSI in the Alenzas on my '04. As far as the ride, I can't comment since I had the performance package. The ride was already stiffer. The noise wasn't bad. Overall I was very happy with them. You might want to add a few lbs and see what happens. It sounds like they aren't for you though.

Quick Reply: Appropriate Tire Recommendations