RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Noise from rear RX330

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 09:56 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from rear RX330

Ok so I have question for the RX owners, my wife swears there is somethin wrong wit the car because there is a loud "whirring" noise coming from the rear when the vehicle is in motion.

I think its the tire road noise, I have the OEM Bridgestones that came with the car but she thinks it somethin else. Before I go to the dealer and maybe look like a dumba$$ I wanted to know if any of you have the same issue.
Old 04-19-10, 10:57 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a whining noise from the rear that starts at about 70 mph. Took it to the dealer and got the classic reply "we could not duplicate the problem". I asked if they tested it at 70 or above and their reply was that the speed limit is 65 and they won't test the car above that.
Old 04-19-10, 11:01 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

hmmm well i actually get the noise well below 70mph i think, i will now have to drive it again and see when the sound begins...any other owners have advice/suggestions/issues?
Old 04-19-10, 12:28 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

wheel/hub bearing going bad?
Old 04-19-10, 12:33 PM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexus114
wheel/hub bearing going bad?
Well i dont know i hope not and if it is, is this somethin that would be covered under warranty does anyone know?
Old 04-19-10, 01:54 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Is the gear lube low?
Old 04-19-10, 01:56 PM
Iqraam
Pole Position

i not sure i have a 2wd so no diff in the back.
Old 04-19-10, 02:16 PM
Fivewilds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Iqraam
Ok so I have question for the RX owners, my wife swears there is somethin wrong wit the car because there is a loud "whirring" noise coming from the rear when the vehicle is in motion.

I think its the tire road noise, I have the OEM Bridgestones that came with the car but she thinks it somethin else. Before I go to the dealer and maybe look like a dumba$$ I wanted to know if any of you have the same issue.
Had the same type of noise. It sounded as it was coming from the left rear. I found a used low milage hub/bearing assy. on "car-part.com" and it fixed it.
It's very easy to change out.
Old 04-19-10, 02:36 PM
Iqraam
Pole Position

ok well thanks for the tip i am just wondering since i am still under warranty would that be covered or is it a wear-tear item?
Old 04-19-10, 02:49 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

ok well thanks for the tip i am just wondering since i am still under warranty would that be covered or is it a wear-tear item?
Yes it should be covered
Old 04-19-10, 02:55 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am hearing the same noise on my 2004 RX. It is CPO and I'll be bringing it in this weekend to have a couple of things checked out and fixed and this is one of them. Once you get above about 72mph, it definitely noticeable.

Also, at about 20mph when at a low rpm and you foot lightly on the gas, there is a winding noise that I can also hear. As soon as you take your foot off the gas, the sound goes away.

I'll be taking it in this weekend, we'll see what they say...
Old 04-19-10, 03:01 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

It is probably a wheel bearing.
Old 04-19-10, 03:41 PM
Iqraam
Pole Position

well i am droppin mine off tonight and see what they have to say tomorrow, will keep everyone posted. thanks for the input guys!
Old 04-19-10, 05:04 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 on wheel bearing

Also, the Bridgestones are not OEM. Michelins and Goodyear where the OEM tires.
Old 04-20-10, 07:54 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Ah i didnt know the they were not OEM, seems like around here many of the lexus's have bridgestones on them, anyways so i took it to one of my local dealers and we took a drive with the shop foreman, he says its the tires and stayed with that decision. SO, i made an appointment with another lexus dealer a little further away from the first to have them check it out.
I have a friend who sells tires specifically bridgestones and he told me these tires are the quietest they make and even he thinks it might be the bearings. He is the one who pointed it out to me in the first place a couple of weeks ago. So for now it seems like i've been given the run around.

Quick Reply: Noise from rear RX330