RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Any of you know how to adjust headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 07:38 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Any of you know how to adjust headlights?

I noticed that when my DRL`s and High beam headlights are on,the one light seems to be adjusted a little higher than the other.Is their a way to adjust them,or is it another dealer thing?

Ryan
Old 04-19-10, 12:18 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

I have heard it being explained that the spot (most focused bright area) is supposed to be different for each light ... the oncoming side is supposed to be to the right and a bit lowered, and the right lens should spot a bit further out (higher).

There is a spec for it and it used to be checked at "drive worthy" annual check. I have not seen that instrument being used in state of Texas for years now. Dealer may not have the setup, but a competent body shop might.

After trying to adjust the spots my self on some vehicles, I have given up on it. You get the bug that it is not perfect and you constantly try to fix it.

There should be bubble levels on the lamp assembly. Watch out as the screws next to bubble may be controlling the other axis. For bubble adjustment there should be no damage to housing or body and you need to fill the tank and load the vehicle down to your regular load & tires should be inflated to the normal driving value (at spec preferred).

I would suggest leave it alone, but the adjustment screws are there. I would also not pay dealer rates for this.

Salim
Old 04-19-10, 12:25 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I have heard it being explained that the spot (most focused bright area) is supposed to be different for each light ... the oncoming side is supposed to be to the right and a bit lowered, and the right lens should spot a bit further out (higher).

There is a spec for it and it used to be checked at "drive worthy" annual check. I have not seen that instrument being used in state of Texas for years now. Dealer may not have the setup, but a competent body shop might.

After trying to adjust the spots my self on some vehicles, I have given up on it. You get the bug that it is not perfect and you constantly try to fix it.

There should be bubble levels on the lamp assembly. Watch out as the screws next to bubble may be controlling the other axis. For bubble adjustment there should be no damage to housing or body and you need to fill the tank and load the vehicle down to your regular load & tires should be inflated to the normal driving value (at spec preferred).

I would suggest leave it alone, but the adjustment screws are there. I would also not pay dealer rates for this.

Salim

Thank`s Salim.