RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Using your NAV system features while moving

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-10, 12:53 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using your NAV system features while moving

Back in 2007-2008 I was on this forum quit a bit because some folks here wanted to be able change destinations or POIs in their Lexus NAV system when the car was moving. Back then it was mostly the RX350 folks.

I finally broke down and bought the latest Ver 9.1 Gen5 NAV disk from my local Lexus dealer (black color U 34 D). The photo shows you which RX models can do this. I was successful in developing a Hybrid NAV disk with the Ver 5.1 loading file and the Ver 9.1 data files. It is working great. I love it. BTW, I have a 2007 ES350 and I had a Ver 5.1/6.1 Hybrid disk in it already.

I followed the burning instructions from my old post and I used Roxio 2010 software.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2503969-post5.html

Now after burning both a 5.1/6.1 three years ago and a 5.1/9.1 currently I believe that the reason some of us have been burning some BAD unusable disks is primarily because of our DVD burners. To make my point I have two different burners on my Laptop (one internal and one external) and my wife has one internal burner).

Using Roxio 2010 and it's BURN DATA DISK and the same options as in the above mentioned post neither burner on my laptop could burn a usable disk but on the first try the burner on my wife's laptop burned a good usable NAV DVD disk. Actually if I read my old notes, from 3 years ago, more carefully it would have been obvious to me that I should have used her burner to start with.

My point is if your burner won't do it take your blank disks, the 5.1/9.1 files/folders, burning software (whatever it is), and try using another burner. If luck is with you maybe a friend has an external one you can borrow.

It is so nice because when I am driving my wife can change destinations and POIs while the car is moving and vice versa. We do not have to stop.
Attached Thumbnails Using your NAV system features while moving-nav-dvd-gen-5-ver-9.1-u34-d.jpg  
Old 04-01-10, 04:32 PM
steiner
Driver

Back then, I too burn a disk per your instruction. My car couldn't read the disc. I instinctively knew it was the burner but did have enough patience to go futher.

It would be nice if someone post the exact burner make & model that could sucessfully burn this disc.

But then another solution could be to buy a $100 TomTom. These things now work so much better than the OEM version for a tiny fraction of the cost.
Old 04-02-10, 04:27 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

I think you're right about the burner being important. As is the brand of blank dual layer DVDs you burn on. But I think there is another variable somewhere. Using your original post and doing a lot of homework, I burned a) straight backup copy of my original nav dvd and b) a hybrid using dvd 5 and v6. so I know my burner and technique is ok. But I was never able to get a dvd5/ v7 to work. I tried for hours. The burned disc would load but it just didn't work correctly. everything looked ok until it was time to punch in an address or do a search. In looking closer I could see that the file structures on the new disc were quite different than the old. (number of files, etc). Several members had the same problem and we worked together and couldn't crack it. And yet others said they had no problem. I tried a couple of other burners just in case but I just couldn't never figure it out.
Old 04-02-10, 10:41 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

We use Windows XP with SP3. Here are some answers to your question regarding our three CD/DVD burners. First I went to: Control Panel>System>Hardware (tab)>Device Manager, and then I chose DVD-ROM Drives to see which drive was in each of our laptops.

The following two burners were NOT able to burn a NAV DVD disk.
Memorex DVD + - RAM 510L v1 USB Device (this is an external USB drive)
Ma****a DVD-RAM UJ-850S

The following burner was able to successfully burn a NAV DVD disk on the first try.
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K 14RA

Both of the following brands of our double layer disks worked perfectly.
Phillips double layer DVD+R 8.5 GB 8x
Memorex double layer DVD+R DL 8.5 GB 2.4X

PS, I added this so you know the actual name of the burner listed above as Ma****a. The four letters missing are a naughty word as in defacation. This is amazing in that the forum's automatic "naughty word removal" software made the change automatically. Cute and I don't mind it at all!

Last edited by jerfitz; 04-02-10 at 10:53 AM.