RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Opinion about coolant leak ?

Old 03-09-10, 07:22 PM
rtpatter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion about coolant leak ?

I have a 04' RX 330 with 92k. It has small radiator leak. If you are standing in front of the car and look below the fan on the left side of the radiator you can see a small amount of red fluid that has leaked out of the radiator. However, the leak isn't big enough that I ever have to add coolant I just top it off when I get the oil changed. Also it doesn't puddle on the pavement when parked. The only thing I really notice is that my windows tend fog abit easier now so I assuming the moisture must be making its way into the ventalation somehow. My mechanic said its about a $700 repair. My question should I fix it and is $700 reasonable. Also I've never had the timing belt replaced would it make since do have this done at the same time as the radiator. How long will it take before it becomes a major problem instead of a minor annoyance? Thoughts?
Old 03-09-10, 07:50 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Timing belt change does not require removal of radiator, so other than taking care of two things at one time, you would not save on labor. If you decide to replace the water-pump with timing belt, you will save on coolant cost [you will need to replace coolant for radiator repair and water-pump replacement ].

You need to find out more about the source of the leak. Is it the drain plug or an actual leak in the radiator. Plug replacement should be substantially cheaper. Radiator replacement would be the other extreme. I am not sure if RX radiator can be repaired as there may be plastic near the leak.If it was copper only, some leaks can be fixed by soldering. [repair should be carried out by radiator repair shop].

Coolant has a peculiar smell and you would sense that long before notice moisture in the cabin. Pets are attracted to it.

How long before the small leak becomes a major problem? It is hard to predict, but a burst may make the repair impossible{only choice may be replacement) and it can leave you stranded at the wrong place and time.

Investigate and tell us more about the exact location of the leak.

Salim
Old 03-10-10, 05:46 AM
rtpatter
Driver School Candidate

The leak appears to be at the bottom left hand side of the radiator. I can't tell if there is drain plug there that is leaking or if it is the radiator itself. But I can see pink fluid on what looks like some sort of cloth or insulation up against the radiator. On average how much is this repair is $700 reasonable?
Old 03-10-10, 08:21 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

There are two ways to determine cost ... unfortunately they may be estimates till some one opens up the thing .. maybe you can use the numbers as max.

One process is to calculate the parts & materials (coolant) and add labor, the other is to get competitive quotes.

I have not done radiator work so I cant help you much other than suggesting that you drive to a radiator shop and get a competitive quote. Also check how long they warranty their work.

Salim
Old 03-10-10, 08:53 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I read in one of the threads that Lexus was asking ~$700+ to replace the radiator.
Old 03-10-10, 05:26 PM
greasegun
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default radiator leak

my 04 rx330 had the radiator leak too coming from the top. it just show trace of red stain/coolant. i went to the dealership and talked to the service advisor and ask them if theres a campaign for this problem. the guy run my vin number and to my surprise he said they will fix it. they did not even look at my suv, they just book it right away. and the best thing its free and gave me a lexus es 350 as a loaner. no cost to me
Old 03-11-10, 06:25 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

You got lucky. The TSB is for leak in the bottom. But good for you! That tells you the dealer is needing revenue.
Old 02-22-11, 09:35 PM
Dodoma
Driver School Candidate

You really need to identify the source of leak first. Leak from raditor seems remote. See if it is not at the hose/radiator junction in which case you may need to tighten clamp or replace the hose if it shows signs of cracks. Also see if the leaks is not from top and then going down. Or if the leak is at the water pump site. The chance of a leak from radiator is remote unless you car is experiencing or had overheating. The radiator is very durable and I really do not suspect leak from it. Take you car to PepBoys and they can accurately find the source of leak for about $40 and if you have work done by them, this amount will be credited. You may also use the over the counter chemicals designed to stop radiator leaks.
Old 04-19-16, 05:10 AM
Alexia56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your radiator problem sounds similar to mine. How do I run the VIN to check for a possible recall of the radiator?
Old 04-20-16, 03:45 AM
Braz60
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 04 RX330 radiator was leaking passenger side top although it was a slow leak I had to add coolant every 2 days. I had a couple of local mechanics quote me at $800 labor and parts I was able to get it done by another shop a coworker recomended and paid $450 for parts and labor but I did supply the OEM coolant I prefer to keep fluids OEM.
Old 04-21-16, 02:38 PM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I just replaced my radiator on our 07' 400h so I'm guessing pretty close to yours.

I'd first ask the dealer about recall. If not, then I would suggest replacing the radiator.

I was doing a preventative maintenance thing and decided to do a coolant flush. Well, the next day after getting it home, I started seeing coolant on the ground. Assuming they just missed a clamp or something, brought it back. Their conclusion, the radiator was now leaking. Due to the flush, it actually dislodged debris, and now exposed leaks.

I don't recall the quote for replacement, but was in the $500-$700 range at Toyota (I think the lower).

So I decided to repair myself. Got a Denso radiator off of Amazon for $99. Denso 221-3144 Radiator

Picked up 2 gallons of "special antifreeze" from Toyota and got after it. It did take some time...especially the lower bolts, but eventually got it all installed.

Comparing the old one to the new one, identical. Old one had several leaks upon removal.

Hate to say it but you may also consider spark plug replacement in there if they have to remove intake for timing belt....don't know though. I think timing belt and plugs are needing replacement around 90k or 120k. Check owners manual.
Old 04-21-16, 02:47 PM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll try and post a few pics of my old/new radiator...but with limited posting count and new member, may not work.
Attached Thumbnails Opinion about coolant leak ?-img_20160314_182214462.jpg   Opinion about coolant leak ?-img_20160314_182038028.jpg