RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-15, 10:30 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I tried raising a complaint to Lexus about this issue here in Australia. I used to have an 03 RX330 (04 to you guys) and that had a missing trim bit. Got a later model RX330 (2005 in Australia) and the opposite side trim fell off after owning the car for less than a year.

Anyway my Lexus dealership (who have been very helpful) in this regard attempted to get a "out of warranty, warranty" on the part and Lexus denied the request. My Lexus dealership then went back to corporate Lexus along the lines of a good will assistance (basically 50/50) and that too was denied and them advising my local Lexus dealership to lodge a "DPR" (Dealer Product Review).

When I asked what was involved, basically it's the Lexus dealership notifying Japan of this problem and seeing what (if any) outcome comes from it. So maybe let's make some noise and

Everyone that has had this problem, or is experiencing this problem have their dealerships log a DPR with Lexus in Japan for this problem.

My other thought was does anyone have access to a 3D printer? Can we 3D print this piece for cheap?
Old 01-24-15, 07:23 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think lexus would ever extend the warranty for this since it poses no threat to safety or the function of the vehicle.
Old 01-25-15, 03:48 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jakenbake
I don't think lexus would ever extend the warranty for this since it poses no threat to safety or the function of the vehicle.
It's most likely the end result, but you can only try

Either way, my dealer has logged a DPR now to Japan. Possibly something will come of it (likely nothing will). They forwarded my email on to Japan with my history of previous and current car.

I would be happy if they made the trim piece available seperately and not sell it for an inflated price.
Old 03-13-15, 07:59 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Default 2nd Gen Lexus RX Quarter Window Moulding

Hi Guys,

Welcome to the forums (only just discovered this group). I wanted to know if you had any suggestions or possibly details regarding the quarter trim on the 2nd generation RX330/350 and the quarter window moulding trim. I have gone through my dealership (I am based in Australia by the way) and the only way to replace the trim is by way of purchasing a brand new quarter window. Lexus Australia won't come to the party and I (and lots of other members) are pretty much left to foot a large bill for such a trivial part. The part in question can be seen here.

I wanted to know if Lexus is able to provide the contact details (or contact the company on behalf of us Lexus owners) for the company that would have been tasked with creating these quarter windows. It's obvious that this is a seperate piece that is made and glued onto the quarter trim.

Lexus (in Australia) have logged a case back to Lexus in Japan (a dealer review record / statement) but I do not believe anything will eventuate from that given the car is out of production now.

Any thoughts, help would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-15, 10:29 AM
automedic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RX rear quarter window trim for 04-09 RX330 RX350 RX400h

Its about time!!!! a replacement trim that can be installed on the existing window saving you time and a lot of money, I went to the dealership they wanted $186.30 for the whole window plus $125.00 in Labor to install it because they send it out to a glass shop add the with tax its way over
$300 bucks, I found these on e bay and installed them on my RX went on easy after following the instruction video

there is a video on YOU TUBE showing how it is installed

here is the link

it's available on e bay for only $65.00 plus shipping
just go to ebay and copy and paste this into your e bay search

Lexus RX rear quarter window trim for 04-09 RX330 RX350 RX400h

I
Old 06-23-15, 10:58 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Finally!! It's great fantastic, but they only ship to US and US only. I need them to ship to Australia
Old 06-30-15, 05:13 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Managed to get international shipping and should hopefully be here within the next week.
Old 07-27-15, 01:45 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by automedic
Its about time!!!! a replacement trim that can be installed on the existing window saving you time and a lot of money...
Great find!

Anyway I did check on these too. In my 06 Rx both are loose from the corner area.
I plan to use small nozzle (syringe with blunt cut bend injection needle) to add silicone glue on the loose area
Old 08-03-15, 07:29 AM
automedic
Driver School Candidate

Default My window trim fell off

Check out the website

www.fixmylexusrxwindowtrim.com

They sell the window trim without the window and has a video how to install it

it way cheaper than going to the dealer

hope that helps

Old 08-04-15, 11:30 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet deal !!! I was able to detect problem and saw trim piece started to come loose and fixed it with JB weld
Old 08-19-15, 05:12 PM
Jayalpert
Driver School Candidate

Default Trim piece is available by itself

I've been reading these posts and I'm not sure how old they are but my 05 Is missing the pass side trim. I've only casually looked for it and have come up with no difficulties finding the piece both in black and chrome. On multiple web stores. Carid.com sells the entire kit. Also I would try just punching it in to ebay or Amazon. Shouldn't have an issue.
Old 11-02-15, 10:58 AM
automedic
Driver School Candidate

Default you can replace the trim piece without replacing the window

The Dealer want a ton of money to fix the problem
Check out this web site, you can buy the part and watch the video on how to install it
It will Save you hundres of dollars $$$

http://www.fixmylexusrxwindowtrim.com
Old 12-31-15, 01:53 PM
botretta
Driver School Candidate

Default RX330 Quarter window moulding

12/31/15
I just purchased both left and right quarter window mouldings from a guy on Ebay and they were a perfect match and easy installation. I have been looking for them for 2 years and finally someone came up with a supply of them for us. They were $85. per side but well worth it as it was less than replacing the whole window and leaving my RX for a day at the dealers. Came with the tape on the back and complete directions for installing. They also have a youtube video.
Old 04-16-16, 12:36 PM
redgs400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lost the right, left came off with a pop

Back at Christmas time we noticed that the upper leading end of our *right* window trim had popped loose. I didn't think much of it and popped the end back in place.

Late this week we noticed that the trim was completed *gone*. So I started to identify how to replace it when, on a long trip down the highway, we suddenly heard a very sharp metallic pop. My wife, who was driving, initially thought she ran over something, but then she noticed that the *left* trim piece was flopping around in the slipstream in her rearview mirror. We pulled off the highway and I popped the trim piece off and put it in the back cargo area to be reinstalled later.

Upon closer examination of the double-stick tape, it's very clear that most of the adhesive-faced surface of the double-stick tape never made contact with the rubber weatherstrip that it is intended to mate to. There were a few spots where the adhesive is not untouched and shiny, but the majority of adhesive area is still shiny and slightly tacky.

So it looks like to me that the window subassembly had a difficult-to-detect flaw where very little of the double-stick tape's adhesive surface bounded to the rubber weatherstripping. There was enough contact made to hold the pieces together, but the ultimate strength of the bond was compromised before the piece was attached to the car.

In looking at how the trim is designed, the upper/forward-most end of the trim rubs against the rubber weatherstripping on the window frame of the rear door. This means that every time you open and close the rear doors, there's some stress on the mounting of that piece of window trim, namely a small tug trying to break the end of the trim loose when you open the door, and another force pushing the end of the trim in when you close the door. I believe this has the equivalent effect of someone lightly tugging on the end of the trim--the end that I've seen break loose--over and over again until the end breaks loose.

So if anything, when you re-install the trim, really anchor the forward/upper end of the trim.

Last edited by redgs400; 04-16-16 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-04-16, 03:21 PM
LoveRX
Driver School Candidate

I have also had this issue with my RX 330 2004. Thanks to all who have posted their stories. I did try the junk yards - not an option. I will next write to the corporate office, as did Carole, since I have been having my car serviced at the Dealership since I purchased it in 05. I was quoted $328 for the entire window and molding assembly-installed. After reading the posts, I will also check my other side window. If I was a "car-gal", I would probably futz around with trying to find the molding and glue it on myself. If I am unsuccessful with the main office,I may try that route. I will report back later.

Quick Reply: Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330