RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 03:37 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty sad that Lexus vehicles with less than 6 years old having these issues. Even if the vehicles were 10 years old, this should not be happening.
Old 12-24-10, 05:30 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

They should have issued a TSB on this one. Made a bunch of people unhappy.
Old 12-24-10, 06:12 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Every time I read about someone losing the window molding I feel bad for the person who bought my old 330. I forgot to tell the dealer the passenger side rear window trim was loose when I traded in I hope it's still there.

mandyfig, I agree with you. Considering how common the problem is, Lexus should issue some kind of TSB to at least check the trim is securely attached.
Old 12-24-10, 08:49 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah but how about all the people like me that got the car after 90K. I can't even call and get allot of things fixed cause I am over the limit. So why I guess I am a tad apathetic in a way. But I tried to help here and get people fixed up without the dealership if needed. I also wish some of these problems were not present or I might have opted for a lower mileage more recent year RX.

I did get hte RX for about $4-5K under Blue book as well so I feel I am still ahead of the game.
Old 12-25-10, 09:34 PM
ejohn90472
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 RX330 Window Assembly Failure

On November 3, 2010 the plastic frame securing the rear driver side triangular window fall off my Lexus 2005 RX330 unexpectedly. On December 9, 2010 the same plastic frame securing the rear passenger side triangular window fall off unexpectedly scaring me to death. When I spoke to my Lexus Dealer they told me that this occurs frequently and that I would need to purchase a whole new window assembly. Why did this happen and is it a common problem? It costs $157.49 for part number 6272048230 that includes the whole window. I feel that it is unfair that I spent about $40K for a vehicle claimed to have a great quality record.
Old 12-25-10, 09:51 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Wow you posted on an entire thread that has the information you need No need to look any further. Just read the thread.
Old 12-26-10, 01:10 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

lol buy a FORD.... Or wait no a dodge or Chevy!? Geez you guys are such dam complainers. Oh wait no buy a new BMW cause they are saying everything (Japanese imports) else is just a copy. Just don't you dare keep it over the warranty or you will find out what true quality is all about! Has everyone forgotten the horrible quality of allot of the other cars out there for the past 30+ years while Toyota and Honda upheld themselves!?!?!? So what Lexus is not perfect? Better than allot of other crap out there. Such negativity. Such great holiday spirit from people that are inconvenienced a bit.
Old 12-26-10, 02:27 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like times are changing...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_616592.html
Old 12-26-10, 02:58 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Brand new cars, or new cars. Putting a whole bunch or tech toys means nothing but tricks everyone into thinking US cars are great. If anything has changed it's cause they learned everything from the J imports. Watch in 5 years. All the Ford transmissions busting and typical electrical going one part at a time. If Toyota really goes down hill it's in the end better for our country's economy so I would not complain I would just buy US cars. They tried that in the early 90's when they released the new Mustang model. Got some sales and then the reality set in that the improvements to the company overall were menial. Only way some US companies were boasting #1 in sales was due to there Government contracts. Every FBI, IRS agent was driving a Ford Taurus and not to mention the Police and there crown Vics....

I hope for the best with the US market. However there is so much they have to do to prove to me there quality control is what it should be. I used to sell fords. I just had to leave cause I could not sell them in good conscience. Especially after hearing in the back what the general sales managers where saying about what the customer did not know.

People just would be better off stopping the complaining and look at what they can do to find a solution. I spent a long time doing that and tried to be of "help" rather than just posting nonsense and moaning about a light poorly designed plastic piece.

PS: This is getting way off topic I think. Lets start a gripe about Lexus cheap quality thread and we can argue about all that there.

Last edited by infinirx; 12-26-10 at 03:04 AM.
Old 12-26-10, 06:43 PM
Distractog
Driver School Candidate

I lost my rear right window frame cruising down some California highway in 2009. I now consider it a charming "feature" of my RX330 and have happily moved on with my life.
Old 12-27-10, 01:59 PM
ColdLexus
Driver

Went and checked both sides on mine. We're at 40k and both tight and snug.
Old 12-27-10, 07:33 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I do check mine periodically. Do not want to lose a panel and be charged high $.

Seriously we really do not know the incidence rate of these failures. 1, 2 5, 10%?

No data no corrective action.
Old 12-29-10, 09:19 AM
mrshrf2
Driver School Candidate

no arguement about the service or warantee. however when so many of these come off lexus should do one of two things. provide the trim only. discount owners the cost of the entire window since it is not needed to fix the problem. after seeing the attachment and having 40 years in the automotive glass repair business i guarantee lexus knows this is a huge half assed installation of this trim.
Old 03-18-11, 09:02 AM
TPenguin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer I didn't see this thread or browse the forum on my Lexus after getting my 04 RX330. I bought an 04 RX330 from a private seller in January and was hand washing my vehicle last weekend, noticed that on the driver side rear ¼ window the plastic trim piece bordering the window had come off. Just found this thread, looks like I will need to order that window.

My plan is to remove the trim piece from the new window after I order it in a couple week, spray 3M adhesive remover between the plastic and the rubber grommet and heat up the trim piece with a blow dryer. Should come off of fairly easily after doing this. Then wipe down with alcohol. I also have some very strong 3M double sided sticky tape specifically for windows, I will use a few strips in addition to some clear silicone to hold the trim piece down. Also need to do the same procedure for the passenger side window before it comes off.

Don’t mean to side track the thread but I also have noticed a squeal on cold startups. I checked the belts they are in excellent condition, not dry or cracked look close to brand new. I was thinking it could be possibly be the belt tension, though there is very little slack when trying to flex on the belt. Regardless anyone know how to adjust the belt tension for the RX or is there a common issue that causes this I’m unaware of, power steering pump failing? By the way my RX330 has 61k on.
Old 03-21-11, 08:55 AM
Montimar1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by doverrx330
The rear quarter molding fell off my vehicle. Has this happened to anyone? If so, how much did it cost at the dealer and what is the part called?
Moulding does not come as a separate piece, You have to buy the whole window for $258.74 depending on how greedy your dealer wants to be. Then have some Glassier install it. You can try a junk yard but they are aware of the pproblem and if they have a rear quarter panel in the yard would rather sell you the whole quarter panel, instead of just the window.
If they do then they would have to buy the window.
Lots of luck, Glue the good one on with Silicone as I did from suggestions form this site.

Quick Reply: Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330