RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330

Old 02-02-10, 08:43 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Redrocks suggested that "Lexus used inferior tape and won't stand by their [sic] product."
I don't think that's true; my agreement with Lexus was clearly stated in the warranty, and several owners above reported having this fairly unusual problem fixed under warranty when it arose prior to the expiration of the 4 year warranty.
The CPO warranty clearly excludes "window trim," so after 4 years from the in-service date, I was on my own. This was a risk I assumed, in writing, and I see nothing to indicate that Lexus is not standing behind its product. Surely you cannot expect a manufacturer to fix every problem on every car after the expiration of the written agreement.
I think Lexus stands behind its products with far more support than any other car manufacturer I have ever dealt with.

Last edited by tfischer; 02-02-10 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Removed all references to the iPad
Old 02-02-10, 09:19 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Amen to the above!

At least we all know how Lexus has tried to stand by their cars. Hence we continue to support them.

Every single word that we write down here is a mine field for researchers.

Let's be true to our statements. Fair and just.

Just like how we like to be treated.
Old 02-02-10, 02:31 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
Redrocks suggested that "Lexus used inferior tape and won't stand by their [sic] product."
I don't think that's true; my agreement with Lexus was clearly stated in the warranty, and several owners above reported having this fairly unusual problem fixed under warranty when it arose prior to the expiration of the 4 year warranty.
The CPO warranty clearly excludes "window trim," so after 4 years from the in-service date, I was on my own. This was a risk I assumed, in writing, and I see nothing to indicate that Lexus is not standing behind its product. Surely you cannot expect a manufacturer to fix every problem on every car after the expiration of the written agreement.
I think Lexus stands behind its products with far more support than any other car manufacturer I have ever dealt with.
Yes, I stand corrected, Lexus does stand by their products up to 4 years. And I agree that CPO warranty clearly excludes window trim (and other items). My point is, why should the product (window trim) fail after this period (unless the vehicle is over ten years old). I've own vehicles with over 150K (one with over 200K) that never had window trim failure. These vehicles ranged in age from 6-10 years old.

One would expect that Lexus quality would include longevity of products installed. While I suspect most Lexus owners will buy/lease a new Lexus before it gets over five years of age. Is it too much to expect a quality product to last a "reasonable" period of time before failure?

Superior products are usually made with high quality material. If the tape was of inferior quality, maybe there should have been a recall?
Old 05-08-10, 06:42 AM
valflopez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This year May 2010 the rear quarter molding fell off my 2005 RX300 Lexus vehicle.
Is anyone knows where to buy these in the after market store. The dealer is charging me too much around $400 to replace the whole quarter panel window.
Old 05-08-10, 07:06 AM
tfischer

The dealer is charging you that much because the molding is not available by itself; my understanding is that the whole assembly is the only way to purchase this part. Very unfortunate (I had to pay this also). It's as if new shoe laces were only sold with shoes attached.
Old 05-08-10, 07:06 AM
phlfly
Driver

Are you guys talking about this below:

Last edited by phlfly; 05-08-10 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-08-10, 07:32 AM
tfischer

Yes; that's exactly what we guy are talking about.
Old 05-08-10, 07:44 AM
Nakamichi
Driver School Candidate

I have had the driver's side one replaced last winter as the molding trim fell off. Surprisingly I brought the car over to a bodyshop and the bill came under CND$300 with original Lexus parts. So maybe you can check with your local bodyshop instead of going to the dealership as they may usually have some deal with them.
Old 05-08-10, 08:19 AM
tm510
Rookie

Clarification please. When we say reattach it with Silicone, is this the same Silicone that one uses to mount a sink, or a tap, or is it a special auto type product?
Old 05-08-10, 12:28 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tm510
Clarification please. When we say reattach it with Silicone, is this the same Silicone that one uses to mount a sink, or a tap, or is it a special auto type product?
I just used silicone from Lowe's ..... whatever you end up using, you need a product that will provide a bit of flex. The silicone has worked well for me on our '04 RX.
Old 05-09-10, 05:50 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting that some owners have been able to "fix" the problem by just using silicone. Why doesn't Lexus service apply this solution instead of replacing the "entire assembly"? What a ripoff!
Old 05-09-10, 07:42 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
cdnewton, can you please be more elaborate on what you did, like how did you pry that thing off? What tips to use and what tape?

This will be a good DIY. Prevention rather than detection or in this case, loss of trim which translates to $$$$!
Sorry, I missed this post.

Ours was kind of flapping as my wife drove down the highway, so I gently pried what was still attached away from the window. I figured since Lexus only replaces the entire part, it can't hurt to try.

BTW, it is held on by more than tape, there are little indents where the molding piece is supposed to kind of secure in -- not really a clip so much, it is hard to explain. The dealer said automatic car washes are one of the reasons they have seen issues. BTW, the molding piece kind of reminds me of a boomarang ..:-)

Anyway, once I had the molding completely off, I cleaned both the part and the area where the molding attaches. Once that dried, I put a thick bead of clear silicone on the car and pressed the molding back on. As the molding was pressed on, the silicone spread around and I cleaned up the areas where it oozed a bit. I then let the car sit in the sun for a couple of hours.

The Safelite guy said I should have used the product they use for a windshield, but the dealer said to try clear silicone and it worked nicely. They just advised me to use a product that had some flex, which is why he recommended silicone.

That was Fall '09 and quite a few miles, multiple car washes since, the molding is snug as can be.
The following users liked this post:
LRX05 (01-05-21)
Old 05-09-10, 10:32 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cdnewton
Sorry, I missed this post.

Ours was kind of flapping as my wife drove down the highway, so I gently pried what was still attached away from the window. I figured since Lexus only replaces the entire part, it can't hurt to try.

BTW, it is held on by more than tape, there are little indents where the molding piece is supposed to kind of secure in -- not really a clip so much, it is hard to explain. The dealer said automatic car washes are one of the reasons they have seen issues. BTW, the molding piece kind of reminds me of a boomarang ..:-)

Anyway, once I had the molding completely off, I cleaned both the part and the area where the molding attaches. Once that dried, I put a thick bead of clear silicone on the car and pressed the molding back on. As the molding was pressed on, the silicone spread around and I cleaned up the areas where it oozed a bit. I then let the car sit in the sun for a couple of hours.

The Safelite guy said I should have used the product they use for a windshield, but the dealer said to try clear silicone and it worked nicely. They just advised me to use a product that had some flex, which is why he recommended silicone.

That was Fall '09 and quite a few miles, multiple car washes since, the molding is snug as can be.
Thanks cdnewton! Maybe you should send this to Lexus so that their dealerships won't recommend complete replacement?
Old 05-09-10, 10:56 AM
tfischer

The silicone fix sounds like it works great, if you still have the window trim piece. My problem was that the trim blew off the car and was lost on the highways and byways of America. The trim piece can only be purchased with the complete window package (which makes no sense, of course, unless you are in the business of selling trim pieces), so I was out of luck, although I did get a nice shinny new window out of the deal.
Old 05-10-10, 06:09 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same problem,interesting that the trim piece has no tape but plastic pin that goes into the base that came loose,i think i will just put some silicone there.my car is rx330 04 early production in japan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear quarter window exterior molding fell off RX330