RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Sludge Build up

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 06:20 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd start at the place you have your vehicle serviced. I's speak with the manager and explain the situation and the potential $8,000 cost. Ask him if there is any way he can find the receipts for these oil changes and be sure to offer to compensate him well for his effort.

I suspect the records of the oil changes can be found.

Now that you have had your vehicle to the Lexus dealer, they will have entered the damage assessment into the computer so you will most likely not be able to return the lease without penalty unless you have them correct the issue. You really need to come up with some record of the oil changes.

I've not heard of any engine issue with a 2008 motor so I'm curious how this occurred. Has the engine run with low or no oil? Has an oil service been done where they didn't put in the proper oil or the proper amount of oil? Do you have your oil changed at a independent mechanic or a chain?

All that said, your warranty should be intact if you have a record of timely oil changes. You can even do these oil changes yourself and keep a record. You don't need a dealer's receipt if you have a personal record according to my reading of the warranty. Are you absolutely sure you have no personal record of oil changes showing dates and mileage. The car is only two years old with 60k. That is only about 12 oil change records you need to find assuming a 5k interval.

I keep a record of service in a spreadsheet. You might want to do this and print it out and take it with you to the dealer and show him the proof he asked for.

According to the Owners manual:
You are responsible for performance of the required maintenance indicated in the Owner’s Manual and this supplement. Lexus will not deny a warranty claim solely because you do not have records to show that you maintained your vehicle. However, any failure or noncompliance caused by lack of maintenance is not covered by this warranty.
When maintenance and repairs are paid for by you, these services may be performed by you or by any automotive service provider you choose. Lexus will not deny a warranty claim simply because you used a service provider other than a Lexus dealership for maintenance and repairs. However, any failure or noncompliance caused by improper maintenance or repairs is not covered by this warranty.
There is also an arbitration section if the dealer is not cooperative.
If the dealership does not address your concern to your satisfaction, call the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at (800) 25-LEXUS (800/255-3987). In Canada, call (800) 26-LEXUS (800/265-3987). In Mexico, call 95-1-310-328-2075. If you are hearing- or speech-impaired, call (800) 443-4999 (TDD).
You may also write to us at:
Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department P.O. Box 2991 Torrance, CA 90509-2991
Whether calling or writing, please provide the following information:
�� Vehicle identification number (located on the driver’s side corner of the dashboard, under the window)
�� Current vehicle mileage
�� Name of your selling and servicing Lexus
dealerships
�� Your day and evening telephone numbers
Old 01-31-10, 06:09 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

60K in 2 years, that's a lot of miles and if you use the car for business, work, the more that you should follow the regular maintenance oil changes.
Old 02-01-10, 06:27 AM
HimSelf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you believe that the place (for oil change) you went to is not doing their job then you need to get proof.

If I where you I would go back to the same place that you got your oil change but this time get a hidden camera or after the oil change take it to another place to confirm what kind of oil they used.

you have to be careful because some places reuse the old oil, all they do is just filter it.

Once you get proof then you can go after them for your engine problem.
Old 12-26-10, 01:42 PM
lxi1
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a very clean 2009 RX 350 with 30k, off lease from a private dealer who bought it at an auction. Perfect in every way except...Burns 2 quarts every 500 miles.
Took it to the dealer , no warranty unless I have service records.
Total waste dont ever buy a Toyota product, millions have been repaired due to this problem.
Any suggestions other than the scrap yard.
I dont think GMC's or my BMW's would ever have this issue at 30k.
Thanks for your help in advance. I have $30k in a vehicle that I cant drive. Who would of ever though a vehicle with 30k would have this problem. Who has the VC's removed and checked on there car with only 30k? Help please......

Last edited by lxi1; 12-26-10 at 01:43 PM. Reason: mispell
Old 12-26-10, 01:58 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lxi1
I just bought a very clean 2009 RX 350 with 30k, off lease from a private dealer who bought it at an auction. Perfect in every way except...Burns 2 quarts every 500 miles.
Took it to the dealer , no warranty unless I have service records.
Total waste dont ever buy a Toyota product, millions have been repaired due to this problem.
Any suggestions other than the scrap yard.
I dont think GMC's or my BMW's would ever have this issue at 30k.
Thanks for your help in advance. I have $30k in a vehicle that I cant drive. Who would of ever though a vehicle with 30k would have this problem. Who has the VC's removed and checked on there car with only 30k? Help please......

Ever wonder how a private dealer is selling an 09 vehicle with 30k? Probably because the maint history for the vehicle is non existent, and no dealer in their right mind would certify a vehicle like that after a lease period.

The vehicle went to auction, and was purchased cheaply by the private dealer. You as the buyer should have looked further than a clean interior and exterior, like having the VIN run at a dealer to see if the maint history is good, or having a prepurchase inspection performed prior to buying.
Old 12-26-10, 02:20 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, let us know what happens, also what do the insides of your valve covers look like?

Also would like to know when you had the engine flushed, was that done at the dealer? And did you have the oil pan removed to make sure any sludge that couldn't make it out of the drain was removed? If not then it is very likely the sludge will wind up on your oil pick up screen and starve the engine of lubrication. Kind of like when an ice cube gets stuck at the end of a straw.

Good luck either way, hope it works out for you. In hindsight probably should have payed the extra $$$$ to have the LOF done at the dealer. Just to make you feel better, I've seen engines warranted to customers who never changed their oil. I dont agree with it, but Im not LEXUS.
Old 12-27-10, 05:00 PM
vg1134
Driver

i had commented on these engines a while back on how they can make sludge inside very quickly if not taken care off. as for the poster who bought the 09 with 30k, depending on the state were you bought the vehicle-they are required to give you some kind of warranty. this would be a 3 month 3,000 miles or something similar. this does not matter if they posted it on the vehicle or not. look up you lemon laws or auto dealer requirements for a used vehicle. Here in florida if the vehicle has less than 60,000 miles or less than 3 years old (i dont remember exactly) they must give you a 1 month or 3 month warranty regardless if the car still has a remaining factory warrranty.

hope it works out.
Old 12-27-10, 07:42 PM
mandyfig

Suggest to take it to a shop and do a flush to take some of the build up out. They will do a series of oil changes pretty quick.

Then take it to a Lexus dealer.

What did you tell the dealer when you took it in?
Old 12-28-10, 08:53 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

To the OP, the thread is getting close to 1 yr old. Any updates since you seems to be the first to have the "sludge" problem on the new 3.5 engines or was it due to worn out piston rings as suggested by Lex2000TL?
Old 12-28-10, 09:32 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Maybe one lemon out of a lot of good ones?
Old 12-29-10, 02:51 PM
mandyfig

When owners fail to change oil, sludge will happen. Bet you it is the previous owner and not Toyota.
Old 12-29-10, 03:00 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
When owners fail to change oil, sludge will happen. Bet you it is the previous owner and not Toyota.
That's what I would think. I'm certainly no expert, but have worked in a Lexus parts department the last 3 years. We haven't seen any problems with oil sludge since the RX300's. At least from I've been told of the years before I started here. We've even done a few RX300's since I've been here. Any oil will break down if not changed. And you wouldn't believe how many people will pay a lot of money for a luxury car and not keep up with services or at least simple oil changes. You don't even have to get it done here. I won't be mad. But do keep it changed!
Old 12-29-10, 03:01 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In some states lemon Laws are solely for NEW CARS. Not used. and in California I beleive there is no "Lemon Law". Again I think it's easy to blame toyota and not look any further. Man after reading this I think at my next oil change I am going to do an engine clean.
Old 12-29-10, 08:34 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Very true and may have very been the case. IE. someone like a real-estate agent will lease one, drive it and return it.
Originally Posted by offroad200
That's what I would think. I'm certainly no expert, but have worked in a Lexus parts department the last 3 years. We haven't seen any problems with oil sludge since the RX300's. At least from I've been told of the years before I started here. We've even done a few RX300's since I've been here. Any oil will break down if not changed. And you wouldn't believe how many people will pay a lot of money for a luxury car and not keep up with services or at least simple oil changes. You don't even have to get it done here. I won't be mad. But do keep it changed!
It's unfortunate but very true. BMW owners too!

Originally Posted by infinirx
In some states lemon Laws are solely for NEW CARS. Not used. and in California I beleive there is no "Lemon Law". Again I think it's easy to blame toyota and not look any further. Man after reading this I think at my next oil change I am going to do an engine clean.
Don't. It's a cash grab and doesn't do anything to benefit the engine.

*also may harm the engine... just do regular oil changes and youll enjoy many more miles to come
Old 12-29-10, 08:44 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a binder for each car I own. Detailed records, receipts, etc.. Guess I am part of the 10%.
Allow me to join the ranks. I'm so psycho I even doodled on mine. I too update even my local oil changes on the Lexus.com. With cars like these, I feel like it's a matter of respect for the vehicle. <-----man I am weird.
Attached Thumbnails Sludge Build up-lexus-006.jpg  

Quick Reply: Sludge Build up