RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How to verify if vehicle is Lexus Certified?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 11:56 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to verify if vehicle is Lexus Certified?

We bought our RX used 2 yrs ago and we were not told anything about it being certified.

I just got off the phone with the service advisor of the same Lexus dealership, and he told me that our vehicle is Certified, means we're covered for a little problem we have with 4 lights coming up.

When vehicle is Certified, does the VIN get into some sort of dealer database?? Is there any way to verify this information independently?
Old 01-25-10, 12:32 PM
metal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostyan
We bought our RX used 2 yrs ago and we were not told anything about it being certified.

I just got off the phone with the service advisor of the same Lexus dealership, and he told me that our vehicle is Certified, means we're covered for a little problem we have with 4 lights coming up.

When vehicle is Certified, does the VIN get into some sort of dealer database?? Is there any way to verify this information independently?
Yes, go to Lexus.com, enter My Lexus, and all the info will be there if certified.

Last edited by metal; 01-25-10 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-25-10, 12:51 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I just got off the phone with the service advisor of the same Lexus dealership, and he told me that our vehicle is Certified, means we're covered for a little problem we have with 5 lights coming up.

Go ahead and check it in. They will tell you what's wrong with it and will let you know if you have to pay. you are not obligated to get it repaired specially if a warranty is not applicable.

I would do the same except that I am tied up the whole week.

We need to know what's causing this 4 lights to light up.

This!
Attached Thumbnails How to verify if vehicle is Lexus Certified?-rx330-lights-on-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by mandyfig; 01-26-10 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 05:56 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by metal
Yes, go to Lexus.com, enter My Lexus, and all the info will be there if certified.
I've signed up but not seeing any mention of our vehicle being Certified. Where exactly it would be listed?

Mandyfig- I have most of what you have except my Track Off light does not come up.
Old 01-26-10, 06:33 AM
mandyfig

If it is not Lexus certified, it will not be noted.

However your car can be DEALER certified. Not Lexus certified.

Lexus certified means you can take it to any Lexus dealer to get it repaired without cost, subject to terms of certification.

Dealer certified means you take it to the Lexus dealer that certified it. THis is normally cheaper cost the Lexus certification.
Old 01-26-10, 06:34 AM
mandyfig

Dealers will time to time certify their cars because they have serviced the car from day 1and are pretty confident about it.

Lexus certification is quite comprehensive.
Old 01-26-10, 06:57 AM
mandyfig

There were a lot of TSB's on the RX350 engine about oil leak. Have you had an issue?

However the tranny issues were finally addressed on the RX350, I believe. None of the funny shifting, erratic hunting of gears? Is that the case?
Old 01-27-10, 05:07 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
There were a lot of TSB's on the RX350 engine about oil leak. Have you had an issue?

However the tranny issues were finally addressed on the RX350, I believe. None of the funny shifting, erratic hunting of gears? Is that the case?
I believe this belonged to a different post?

It turns out you cant find out if you'r vehicle's certified through lexus.com website. Lexus has an intra-dealer computer system that general public has no access to, so any Lexus dealer in the country can pull your vehicle VIN and see if it's certified or not.

The strangely happy scenario happened to us is that the selling dealer wanted at least 1500 for him to certify our RX, which we had declined. And now, 2 yrs later, we miraculously found out that we're covered bumper-to-bumper at any Lexus dealership, for 9 more months, and until 100k mi (currently at 61k mi). So we had it for 2 yrs and had no idea about this coverage...but really had no issues with our vehicle.
Old 01-28-10, 04:41 AM
siestaguy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Additional Ways to Check if Certified Pre-Owned

I just bought a Lexus Certified Pre-Owned 2008 RX350. I recently noticed they put a sticker on the frame of the car which can be seen after opening the driver's door. I also received paperwork in the mail from Lexus confirming that it is pre-owned, when the warrent ends, etc.

When shopping, I noticed that non-Lexus dealers were marketing their cars as "certified", which I think is highly misleading because most people would assume it was certified in accordance with the manufacturer's requirements. Designating a car as "certified" may or may not mean that it is a "LEXUS Certified Pre-Owned", backed by Lexus. Instead, the dealer could call it "Certified" and simply include an extended warranty backed by some company other than Lexus that is far inferior to the benefits of a Lexus CPO vehicle (and may include deductibles).
Old 01-28-10, 04:51 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

our RX does not have any stickers nor we were given any paperwork. So guess just got lucky..
Old 01-28-10, 05:14 AM
mandyfig

It turns out you cant find out if you'r vehicle's certified through lexus.com website. Lexus has an intra-dealer computer system that general public has no access to, so any Lexus dealer in the country can pull your vehicle VIN and see if it's certified or not.

The strangely happy scenario happened to us is that the selling dealer wanted at least 1500 for him to certify our RX, which we had declined. And now, 2 yrs later, we miraculously found out that we're covered bumper-to-bumper at any Lexus dealership, for 9 more months, and until 100k mi (currently at 61k mi). So we had it for 2 yrs and had no idea about this coverage...but really had no issues with our vehicle.
Kostyan, have you set up an appt for the dashboard lights?

I have not had the chance, am tied up the whole week.
Old 01-28-10, 11:01 AM
metal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by siestaguy
I just bought a Lexus Certified Pre-Owned 2008 RX350. I recently noticed they put a sticker on the frame of the car which can be seen after opening the driver's door. I also received paperwork in the mail from Lexus confirming that it is pre-owned, when the warrent ends, etc.

When shopping, I noticed that non-Lexus dealers were marketing their cars as "certified", which I think is highly misleading because most people would assume it was certified in accordance with the manufacturer's requirements. Designating a car as "certified" may or may not mean that it is a "LEXUS Certified Pre-Owned", backed by Lexus. Instead, the dealer could call it "Certified" and simply include an extended warranty backed by some company other than Lexus that is far inferior to the benefits of a Lexus CPO vehicle (and may include deductibles).
Siestaguy, where exactly on the frame of the car are you indicating? BTW, are you on Siesta Key?
Old 01-29-10, 07:43 PM
txt
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my car, there is a certified sticker on the driver side above to the black sticker with the bar code and VIN.

Sticker says Certified .... 3 year/100000 miles. Passed 161 point inspection.

I think the sticker says it passed the CPO predelivery inspection by the dealer.
The sticker doesn't say that the car is covered by the Lexus CPO warranty for 3 years or 100000 miles.
You would have to pay more to be covered.
I declined the CPO coverage b/c my car still have 3 years remaining on the new car warranty.

Originally Posted by metal
Siestaguy, where exactly on the frame of the car are you indicating? BTW, are you on Siesta Key?

Last edited by txt; 01-29-10 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-31-10, 10:27 AM
metal
Driver School Candidate

Well, I found mine in lexus.com....my vehicle summary
''Dealer Reported 05/30/2009 Lexus of Clearwater CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED PDI ''

Last edited by metal; 02-03-10 at 02:39 AM.