RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 04:48 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iqraam
i will start looking unfortunately i dont have any friends that would do such work or know of anybody here in NorCal.
What part of NorCal are you in.
Jeff
Old 01-05-10, 08:05 PM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Sacramento
Old 01-05-10, 08:32 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

There is a guy on the Lexus owners club board that lives in Sac, I will send him a PM with a link to this thread and maybe he can hook you up.
Jeff
Old 01-06-10, 06:26 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I used Maita Toyota on Auburn blvd. They changed my timing belt, waterpump for around $500...At the time it was a smoking deal compared to Lexus....
Old 01-06-10, 08:02 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jgr7
There is a guy on the Lexus owners club board that lives in Sac, I will send him a PM with a link to this thread and maybe he can hook you up.
Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I would appreciate it.
Old 01-06-10, 08:03 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by thomas1
I used Maita Toyota on Auburn blvd. They changed my timing belt, waterpump for around $500...At the time it was a smoking deal compared to Lexus....
You know I will call them and see if they can give me a break like that.
Old 01-06-10, 09:49 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

There you go!
Old 01-06-10, 11:12 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

so although the timing belt part of the service was cheaper the service as a whole was not so i will stick to my local toyota shop until something better comes up
Old 02-12-10, 10:53 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Well i am due for an oil change here and I am at 83k, so I think I will be doing the 90k service in two parts. For now I will be the maintenance portion of the 90k and Lexus has told me $524 and Toyota has told me $399. I know i know Toyota seems like a no-brainer except that Toyota will not do EVERYTHING Lexus will. I am waiting for a third quote back from my friend at firestone but I am leaning towards Lexus since they for sure will take care of the vehicle.

Opinions/thoughts/recommendations?
Old 02-12-10, 11:56 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Firestone. They sell tires. Not that I am questioning their capability. They also have ASE certified mechanics but they see 10+ car brands all the time.

Stick to a Toyota-Lexus service shop. At least they see Toyota-Lexus ALL the time and they know the RIGHT way to do it.

Or else go to the Lexus dealer.
Old 02-12-10, 01:17 PM
Iqraam
Pole Position

Well I made the appointment with the Lexus dealer, will be dropping my ride off tonight and picking it up sometime tomorrow. I wonder which loaner I get.
Old 02-12-10, 11:30 PM
RhoXS
Rookie

In my opinion, after 41 years of regularly buying new cars and one CPO, it is insanity to consider using a dealer to replace the timing belt. It is my experience that a reputable independent shop will do a quality job replacing the timing belt for less than half the price, with a much higher degree of confidence that the job will be done correctly.

Let me relate a relatively recent directly related experience.

Towards the end of 2008 we had our 2002 RX300 at Palm Beach Lexus for a CPO covered repair. The vehicle had just over 70,000 miles on it. The service advisor told my wife it was extremely important to replace the timing belt and we should not wait any longer. He quoted approximately $1200 and it did not include a water pump. When I challenged him for the reason for replacing the belt so early (Toyota specifies 90K miles for replacement), he stated it was not the miles but the age. In addition, and certainly adding insult to injury, the car was fully covered under the CPO. Of course we did not take his advice and did not change the belt at that time. A local shop I completely trust quoted me about $450 including a water pump.

There is a lesson here that is reinforced almost every time I visit a dealership, be it Lexus, BMW, etc. DO NOT, under any circumstances, except for warranty work, trust your car and/or your wallet to a dealership.

A few months ago I took our 2009 RX350 to Ft. Pierce Lexus to repair the driver's door lock that was damaged during a break in attempt. They botched the relatively simple job so badly they agreed to send a driver in a new 2010 RX350 loaner 30 miles to our house to pick up our RX350 to fix it properly. Again, just don't use a dealership unless there is no choice or you will more likely than not be sorry and certainly significantly poorer.
Old 02-13-10, 04:30 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with that said, mechanics, service advisors, managers, and even dealership owners are unde pressure from the manufacturer to sell these services. and of course it will cost more because they charge more per hour for labour.

granted your car only had 70k on it, but the advisor was spot on with the time. if you look in the manual they will stipulate mileage and time.

the reverse of your situtation is what would you have done if they did not recommend the timing belt, and it broke the next day. you would be on here complaining that they didnt warn you or try to upsell the timing belt.

you might say that you have warranty for that, but warranty wont cover you if you dont do the scheduled maintenance.

it is a fine balance between dealer work / work to maintain warranty / and avoiding services wil they are absolutly required.

when it comes to timing belts, you need to know if you car is an interference engine or not.
Old 02-13-10, 09:08 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

Kiwi, you miss the point by light years.

-The car was covered under the CPO warranty and all required maintenance (as defined in print by Toyota) was done and documented. If the belt broke prior to 90K miles, Toyota would have fixed it under the CPO warranty, at zero cost to me. Why would anyone, with at any sense at all, pay to fix something that will be clearly covered under the warranty?
-There is no written required scheduled maintenance to replace the timing belt prior to 90K miles due to time or any other reason.
-There is absolutely no advice from any source, at least that I have seen, to suggest any need to replace a timing belt before the recommended miles. In fact, some of the posts in this thread suggest the contrary (although I do not agree it is worth the risk).
-The service adviser was well aware there was a valid and in effect 100K mile CPO warranty because he had replaced, within the past few hours, an oxygen sensor and some leaking oil seals under it.

In addition, your comment, "mechanics, service advisors, managers, and even dealership owners are unde pressure from the manufacturer to sell these services", is exactly why one should avoid a dealership and exactly what drove Palm Beach Lexus into trying to sell us something that was not needed and already covered for another 20K miles under the Lexus CPO warranty. This would not have happened at a reputable independent shop. I never had a single issue of incompetent or negligent service at carefully chosen independent shops whereas as it is not uncommon to experience this at all dealerships including Lexus and BMW. My blood boils every time I think about how Ft. Pierce Lexus expected us to accept the repair they did a few weeks ago. They did readily agree to make good on it (and they did) but the event should never have happened as they were 100% aware of what they did when they initially repaired it. I can relate numerous similar events from dealers since 1969 when I purchased my first new car.

Reputable independent shops are hard to find but I have always been successful in eventually finding one no matter where I lived. In addition to much more reasonable cost and higher quality service, independent shops provide a much higher degree of customer service and respect than dealerships typically do. Having a waiting room with 52" LCD HD TVs, nice furniture, and free drinks means nothing if the work done to the car is not right. We recently had an issue with the shifter in our BMW that required dropping the transmission to repair. I went to Brahman BMW in Palm Beach with the BMW service bulletin describing the specific problem that was obvious by simply putting ones hand on the shifter. Their service department totally stone walled me and refused to have any dialog with me at all unless I left the car with them for a $120 diagnostic fee. The service manager was, however, very focused on how I had a copy of the service bulletin. Contrary to this behavior, my local independent shop readily discussed what needed to be done, told me how much it would cost to repair without having to pay them for the privilege, and fixed the problem a week or so later. Why should I pay more at a dealership for a substandard level of respect and customer service? I will say BMWs customer service is much worse than Lexus branded, but not Toyota branded, dealerships.

So Kiwi, you hit a sore spot because your comments above are so naive. It was not my intention at all to respond with a full broadside but your comments defend a business that simply tried to take advantage of my wife and I. Bottom line: For reasons such as the examples given (going back 41 years), I have good reason to not trust dealerships but I do trust independent shops that I have carefully chosen and developed a relationship with.
Old 02-13-10, 11:03 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RhoXS
Kiwi, you miss the point by light years.

-The car was covered under the CPO warranty and all required maintenance (as defined in print by Toyota) was done and documented. If the belt broke prior to 90K miles, Toyota would have fixed it under the CPO warranty, at zero cost to me. Why would anyone, with at any sense at all, pay to fix something that will be clearly covered under the warranty?
-There is no written required scheduled maintenance to replace the timing belt prior to 90K miles due to time or any other reason.
-There is absolutely no advice from any source, at least that I have seen, to suggest any need to replace a timing belt before the recommended miles. In fact, some of the posts in this thread suggest the contrary (although I do not agree it is worth the risk).
-The service adviser was well aware there was a valid and in effect 100K mile CPO warranty because he had replaced, within the past few hours, an oxygen sensor and some leaking oil seals under it.

In addition, your comment, "mechanics, service advisors, managers, and even dealership owners are unde pressure from the manufacturer to sell these services", is exactly why one should avoid a dealership and exactly what drove Palm Beach Lexus into trying to sell us something that was not needed and already covered for another 20K miles under the Lexus CPO warranty. This would not have happened at a reputable independent shop. I never had a single issue of incompetent or negligent service at carefully chosen independent shops whereas as it is not uncommon to experience this at all dealerships including Lexus and BMW. My blood boils every time I think about how Ft. Pierce Lexus expected us to accept the repair they did a few weeks ago. They did readily agree to make good on it (and they did) but the event should never have happened as they were 100% aware of what they did when they initially repaired it. I can relate numerous similar events from dealers since 1969 when I purchased my first new car.

Reputable independent shops are hard to find but I have always been successful in eventually finding one no matter where I lived. In addition to much more reasonable cost and higher quality service, independent shops provide a much higher degree of customer service and respect than dealerships typically do. Having a waiting room with 52" LCD HD TVs, nice furniture, and free drinks means nothing if the work done to the car is not right. We recently had an issue with the shifter in our BMW that required dropping the transmission to repair. I went to Brahman BMW in Palm Beach with the BMW service bulletin describing the specific problem that was obvious by simply putting ones hand on the shifter. Their service department totally stone walled me and refused to have any dialog with me at all unless I left the car with them for a $120 diagnostic fee. The service manager was, however, very focused on how I had a copy of the service bulletin. Contrary to this behavior, my local independent shop readily discussed what needed to be done, told me how much it would cost to repair without having to pay them for the privilege, and fixed the problem a week or so later. Why should I pay more at a dealership for a substandard level of respect and customer service? I will say BMWs customer service is much worse than Lexus branded, but not Toyota branded, dealerships.

So Kiwi, you hit a sore spot because your comments above are so naive. It was not my intention at all to respond with a full broadside but your comments defend a business that simply tried to take advantage of my wife and I. Bottom line: For reasons such as the examples given (going back 41 years), I have good reason to not trust dealerships but I do trust independent shops that I have carefully chosen and developed a relationship with.
the comments were to meant to offend, but simply offer a different side of things, i have worked at 2 different car dealerships and got to see first hand what the dealer has to go through with customers.

i couldnt agree more that one should find an independent shop to do all work, yuo can really save alot of money, and the training is very comparable.

as for mileage only for a timing belt, thats crap, it is recommended to be changed at 90k miles or 72 months.

so back to your original post, the advisor did his job because your 2002 was 6years old, which is the recommended time for the timing belt. so by not doing it at that point you essentially void your warranty if the timing belt breaks and cooks the engine. and if the advisor did not tell you to do the timing belt and your belt broke, they would be on the hook because they did not advise you.

vicious circle,

for the most part, i do agree with you

Quick Reply: Timing Belt