RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

3 car seats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-09, 10:02 AM
keg97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 car seats?

Merry Christmas!

Quick question-
Does anybody here have 3 car seats in their RX? I need to replace my TSX since we're having another baby. I currently have a 5YO in a booster, a 21 month old in a FF car seat, and we'll be adding the rear facing infant seat.

My issue is that most of the cars that fit 3 car seats (whether entirely in the 2nd row or using the 3rd row) are larger trucks. I'm not interested in driving one of those- I leave that for the wife I'd like a luxury oriented ride and the good gas mileage/reliability of the RX is quite nice. I was quite surprised to see what I could get a 04/05 RX for.

I'm not worried abt cargo room b/c the RX will not be our primary family car. My wife's QX56 covers that. I just need to be able to fit 3 car seats for those times when I do need to get all 3 kids somewhere.

TIA!
Old 12-25-09, 10:11 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Each baby car seat occupies 1 adult space. Since RX can hold 3 adults in the back, so theoretically it can. But since the car seats do not have a give, the best advice any one can give is take the seats to the dealer and see if they can all fit. If you are considering new to me, then take it to the seller and confirm before the sale.

I would also check the anchor option of the middle seat. Dealer may sell a contraption.

Note: You can not count on a answer posted here as the car seats you have can be different from others.

Salim
Old 12-25-09, 10:21 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Each baby car seat occupies 1 adult space. Since RX can hold 3 adults in the back, so theoretically it can. But since the car seats do not have a give, the best advice any one can give is take the seats to the dealer and see if they can all fit. If you are considering new to me, then take it to the seller and confirm before the sale.

I would also check the anchor option of the middle seat. Dealer may sell a contraption.

Note: You can not count on a answer posted here as the car seats you have can be different from others.

Salim
I agree that seats will be different based on brand/model. I think you really need to see for yourself with the actual RX and 3 seats.
Old 12-25-09, 01:51 PM
keg97
Driver School Candidate

I definitely plan on taking my seats to a dealer to attempt, but I wanted to see if anybody here actually has done it.

I'm ordering a Sunshine Radian FF seat since those are highly rated, yet the slimmest on the market.
Old 12-25-09, 05:45 PM
968racer
Driver

I have 2 FF car seats in there now, one center, one on the passenger side. They are tight against each other, but a third one would fit fine without any issues.
Old 12-25-09, 07:06 PM
keg97
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 968racer
I have 2 FF car seats in there now, one center, one on the passenger side. They are tight against each other, but a third one would fit fine without any issues.
Awesome! What kind of FF seats?

Thanks!!!
Old 12-26-09, 06:00 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put the booster seat in the middle, with the 2 other car seats on each side of it. I don't recall any anchors in the middle (hence the booster in the middle) and you wouldn't want to reach to the middle to put/get car seats as that becomes a hassle as time goes by.
Old 12-26-09, 06:40 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by veleno
I would put the booster seat in the middle, with the 2 other car seats on each side of it. I don't recall any anchors in the middle (hence the booster in the middle) and you wouldn't want to reach to the middle to put/get car seats as that becomes a hassle as time goes by.
^^^^1, an excellent idea, my wife certainly would hurt her back trying to get that middle seat buckled
Old 12-26-09, 09:22 AM
968racer
Driver

Originally Posted by keg97
Awesome! What kind of FF seats?

Thanks!!!
Evenflo. I would think you would be fine with any standard width seat.
Old 12-26-09, 04:46 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought, not that i dont thin kyou shuld buy an RX,, but have you considered the MDX, you are already familiar with the acura brand, and the MDX does have that extra 3rd row, you could put your two car seats in the middle, and the booster in the rear.
Old 12-27-09, 05:00 AM
keg97
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kiwi
Just a thought, not that i dont thin kyou shuld buy an RX,, but have you considered the MDX, you are already familiar with the acura brand, and the MDX does have that extra 3rd row, you could put your two car seats in the middle, and the booster in the rear.
I have thought abt the MDX. Drove the new version (07-) and liked it, but was not feeling it. Especially for the amount of $$$ that it would cost. I also drove and loved the Audi Q7, but I could not wrap my mind around German reliability and maintenance costs.

I'm no leaning towards paying less and getting something a bit more temporary and going from there. Thus the RX or perhaps even a LS. Get something for less than 20K or so would make sense since I put a good amount of miles on a car communting to work. Perhaps then, I'd even get a Wrangler 4 door as a play toy.

So to answer your question- yes I have thought abt the MDX. The older version does nothing for me though. I have yet to drive it and I'm not sure that I will. It just seems like a big old Mommymobile It is definitely bigger than the RX and would otherwise suit my needs.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-29-09, 07:10 PM
keg97
Driver School Candidate

Just as a follow up- I checked out an RX330 that the dealer had just gotten as a lease turn in. My Graco infant seat, Graco booster seat, and Eddie Bauer FF seat fit just perfectly. Not much, if any extra space, but they fit! Now- I just need to test drive one since they were unwilling to let me take the one I looked at since it had not been prepped for sale yet.