RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

05 RX330 - Radiator Leak

Old 11-28-09, 11:28 AM
pineslexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 RX330 - Radiator Leak

Hello -

I've recently had a radiator leak in the plastic tank on the upper portion - towards the passenger side. I called the local dealer for a quote on just the part...$578.

So I ordered a replacement off ebay. Silla brand - ~$150 bucks. It looked good except it did not fit for the strangest reason. The dimensions are all correct, however...the top portion near the passenger side has this part that sticks out way too much. It has some type of screw cap that does not belong there. The original has what looks like a mounting screw that goes there. This one has a hole that is open to the side tank.

Any one else have this problem? Anyone order a replacement radiator that fit 100%? I'm looking to order another one (probably Koyo brand) and returning this the Silla. I'd like to know if others have had success with a replacement radiator...I know the leaky plastic tank is a known issue with these models.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-09, 05:12 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pineslexus
Hello -

I've recently had a radiator leak in the plastic tank on the upper portion - towards the passenger side. I called the local dealer for a quote on just the part...$578.

So I ordered a replacement off ebay. Silla brand - ~$150 bucks. It looked good except it did not fit for the strangest reason. The dimensions are all correct, however...the top portion near the passenger side has this part that sticks out way too much. It has some type of screw cap that does not belong there. The original has what looks like a mounting screw that goes there. This one has a hole that is open to the side tank.

Any one else have this problem? Anyone order a replacement radiator that fit 100%? I'm looking to order another one (probably Koyo brand) and returning this the Silla. I'd like to know if others have had success with a replacement radiator...I know the leaky plastic tank is a known issue with these models.

Thanks.
I thought their was a tsb re;this radiator?
Old 11-28-09, 05:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

There is. pineslexus, I would check with the dealer again to see if it's applicable in your case. I found NHTSA item number 10019326 for the 2004-2005 Canadian made RXs. If you do a search under that, you'll find it.

Good luck.
Old 11-29-09, 04:27 AM
Fivewilds
Driver School Candidate

I understand there are two different radiator types. One with towing package and one without towing package.
Old 11-29-09, 05:44 PM
pineslexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
There is. pineslexus, I would check with the dealer again to see if it's applicable in your case. I found NHTSA item number 10019326 for the 2004-2005 Canadian made RXs. If you do a search under that, you'll find it.

Good luck.
I just checked and mine is japan made. I noticed this TSB (what is this an acronym for?) too...but will this help in my case? What should I do when I call the service department at my dealer tomorrow - ask for an extended warranty on just the radiator? My car has just over 90k miles so I'm pretty sure my original warranty is out.

I don't have the towing package, but I noticed from several pictures of non-oem radiators that they all have a little nub sticking out on top of the left passenger side near the top, whether with the towing package or not.

If anyone has a picture of the original oem radiator it would really help. Or even better, if someone had success with a non-oem radiator can let me know what brand they used, that would help too.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 11-29-09, 06:05 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

when you call the dealer, see if they can use there "good will" warranty for you. what this is, is a sum of money each dealer gets each month to put towards customers who have run out of warranty a little here or there. the only real way to qualify is to have you vehicle serviced there for everything since new, and be really nice.

and dont forget to mention that it is a known problem, and you just happen to be outside of the coverage timeline.
Old 11-30-09, 02:33 PM
pineslexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kiwi
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

when you call the dealer, see if they can use there "good will" warranty for you. what this is, is a sum of money each dealer gets each month to put towards customers who have run out of warranty a little here or there. the only real way to qualify is to have you vehicle serviced there for everything since new, and be really nice.

and dont forget to mention that it is a known problem, and you just happen to be outside of the coverage timeline.
Thanks for this advice. I called the dealer today and tried to see if they can do anything for me, but they really didn't seem to care much. (Lexus of Pembroke Pines btw). They said my car was too far out of warranty.

I am just gonna go ahead an order the Koyo replacement radiator.

http://www.go-part.com/0406-lexus-rx...8-p-15576.html

I hope it actually fits unlike the Silla brand I ordered last week. I'll have to send the Silla one back, but at least the ebay store I ordered that part from had pretty good customer service.

Crossing my fingers and hoping the new one fits.
Old 11-30-09, 05:12 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The TSB is about a crack in the bottom of the radiator. They automatically extended the warranty for this issue alone.

1st I have heard of the radiator issue for the 2nd Gen.
Old 11-30-09, 10:12 PM
pineslexus
Driver School Candidate

Here is what I found:

2005 Lexus RX330 Cooling Radiator TSBs
TSB Number: 0503 NHTSA Number: 10019326 TSB Date: January 30, 2006 Date Added to File: March 6, 2006
Failing Component:
Engine And Engine Cooling:Cooling System:Radiator Assembly
Summary:
Radiator may crack at the base of one or more of the radiator tubes, resulting in coolant leakage - customer support program - warranty coverage enhancement. Lexus.

They acted like they never heard of this before so I don't know if they really don't know or they don't care. Is it worth it for me to call them again and tell them the specific TSB number? Getting a manager on the line over there is like pulling teeth, but I may just call once again tomorrow.
Old 12-01-09, 04:38 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there another dealer close by that you can call to find out if they'll warranty it?

There is also another brand of radiator, Mishimoto. I personally do not have any experience with this brand but it seems like they're made out of aluminum (at least for my other car) and I see a lot of vendors pushing this brand. No experience with Koyo either.
Old 12-01-09, 07:40 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pineslexus
Here is what I found:

2005 Lexus RX330 Cooling Radiator TSBs
TSB Number: 0503 NHTSA Number: 10019326 TSB Date: January 30, 2006 Date Added to File: March 6, 2006
Failing Component:
Engine And Engine Cooling:Cooling System:Radiator Assembly
Summary:
Radiator may crack at the base of one or more of the radiator tubes, resulting in coolant leakage - customer support program - warranty coverage enhancement. Lexus.

They acted like they never heard of this before so I don't know if they really don't know or they don't care. Is it worth it for me to call them again and tell them the specific TSB number? Getting a manager on the line over there is like pulling teeth, but I may just call once again tomorrow.

Sounds like their blowing smoke up your you know what! Just go in their armed with the tsb info.It`s hard to just dismiss it that way.If no luck,take it to the owner/operator of the store .

Last edited by lexus114; 12-01-09 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-01-09, 08:50 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TSB's are like any warranty work, they are only covered as long as the warranty is in effect. i think you are mistaken with a recall which does not expire, ever.
Old 12-01-09, 06:32 PM
09RX350AWD
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey everyone - a little more info for you. My father owns a 2004 RX330 and has a letter from Lexus stating that in cold climates and in limited cases the radiator on 2004-2005 models may crack at the base. Due to this issue the warranty on the radiator is EXTENDED TO 7YRS/90,000MILES from the in service date (whichever coomes first) and includes not only the radiator but the replacement of the coolant. Unfortunately I am unable to post the letter due to being in different states. But, if you have just over 90,000miles I would get Corporate Lexus folks involved if the dealer is unwilling to help. Its obviously a knnown issue. Good Luck!
Old 12-10-09, 09:14 AM
pineslexus
Driver School Candidate

Thx 09 - I'll see what they can do. Although I have called them before and they haven't called me back. I need to call them back.

edit: Just called corporate. They are not able to find the TSB that relates to my model. I'm guessing the info online is wrong and doesn't include 2005s. They are trying to find out about the part number discrepancy, but I doubt I'll hear from them. They haven't called me after I opened a file with them a week or so ago.

I am really annoyed because the Koyo radiator didn't fit either. It's the strangest thing...I don't understand why these replacements wouldn't fit. I called the parts department of 3 nearby dealers and asked for the part number using my vin...and I get three different numbers. Do they do this on purpose?

I got these numbers for a 2005 RX 330 radiator w/o towing package:

16041-20-314
16041-20-313
16041-0A-411

Any clues as to the discrepancy? So far it looks like I have no choice but to return the Koyo and order the $~500 radiator from the dealer.

Last edited by pineslexus; 12-10-09 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-10-09, 09:24 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Why don't you contact Sewell or Carson, our approved Vendors? They will set you straight. Check the Vendor threads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 RX330 - Radiator Leak