RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Oil capacity of RX-350 - Wal-Mart rip off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-09, 10:22 AM
smckenna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil capacity of RX-350 - Wal-Mart rip off?

Hi there,
I just had my oil changed in my 08 Lexus RX-350, and nearly fainted when I got rung up for $77.00!! They said that their standard $55.00 oil service only covers 5 quarts, and it took 6.5 quarts to fill it up. Is this true, or was I ripped off? They did change the oil filter, but they said that since this wasn't one of their "stock" oil filters (had to "pull it from their shelf"), they had to charge me an additional $7 for that as well. Heck, for $77 I could have had it done at a more professional place. Probably not the Lexus dealer, but at least a Jiffy Lube or something.
Any thoughts?
Old 11-08-09, 10:49 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like they charged you $15 for 1.5 quarts of oil. $55 sounds high for a standard oil change. I would look elsewhere next time, Toyota dealer perhaps. At least they are much more familiar with your RX 350 than WallyWorld.
Old 11-08-09, 10:56 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

It is true that the 350 takes 6.5 quarts of oil if you replace the oil filter.

You could have gotten this service done by Lexus or a Toyota dealer cheaper than what WalMart charged you. My Lexus dealership charges $53 for an oil change and filter.

So yes, I believe you were ripped.
Old 11-08-09, 11:57 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by smckenna
Heck, for $77 I could have had it done at a more professional place. Probably not the Lexus dealer, but at least a Jiffy Lube or something.
Jiffy Lube = professional. That actually made me laugh out loud.

On a serious note, find a good independent that specializes in Toyota/Lexus, and get your oil changes/maintenance interval services done there.
Old 11-08-09, 12:15 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i really have no sympathy for you,

really who brings there vehicle to walmart?? especially a luxury brand. come on. then you complain about poor service, thats what you get.

all of the fluid amounts are in the owners manual, you should have pulled it our in front of them and showed them.
Old 11-08-09, 01:33 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by kiwi
...all of the fluid amounts are in the owners manual, you should have pulled it our in front of them and showed them.
Showed them what? That they were correct? The manual specifically states 6.4 quarts with a filter. They were not lying about this.

WalMart likely has the same talent changing the oil as you will find at the Toyota dealership or any other dealership.
Old 11-08-09, 02:28 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

next time just do your own oil change for less than 25$, and 15 mins of your time.

Originally Posted by smckenna
Hi there,
I just had my oil changed in my 08 Lexus RX-350, and nearly fainted when I got rung up for $77.00!! They said that their standard $55.00 oil service only covers 5 quarts, and it took 6.5 quarts to fill it up. Is this true, or was I ripped off? They did change the oil filter, but they said that since this wasn't one of their "stock" oil filters (had to "pull it from their shelf"), they had to charge me an additional $7 for that as well. Heck, for $77 I could have had it done at a more professional place. Probably not the Lexus dealer, but at least a Jiffy Lube or something.
Any thoughts?
Old 11-08-09, 03:06 PM
smckenna
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kiwi
i really have no sympathy for you,

really who brings there vehicle to walmart?? especially a luxury brand. come on. then you complain about poor service, thats what you get.

all of the fluid amounts are in the owners manual, you should have pulled it our in front of them and showed them.
I'm not complaining about the service. In fact, they guys working on the car seemed to be fairly knowledgable, but I always hang very close by to discourage any funny business. That's one of the reasons I like Wal-Mart, because I can "hover" very close to them as they work and stop them if anything doesn't look right. My only beef was with the final bill.
I did look in the user's manual when I got home, but could not find the oil capacity listed anywhere. I only found the reccomended oil type (5W30).
Old 11-08-09, 03:12 PM
smckenna
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
Sounds like they charged you $15 for 1.5 quarts of oil. $55 sounds high for a standard oil change. I would look elsewhere next time, Toyota dealer perhaps. At least they are much more familiar with your RX 350 than WallyWorld.
Actually, I forgot to mention that I only put Castrol Synthetic oil in all my cars. That's why the per quart price was so high for the additional 2 quarts I had to purchase to make it to 6.5 quarts. My main reason for posting this thread was to confirm that it SHOULD take 6.5 quarts, which someone else has already confirmed.
Thanks!
Old 11-08-09, 03:25 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by jfelbab
WalMart likely has the same talent changing the oil as you will find at the Toyota dealership or any other dealership.
You must be kidding. You would be hard pressed to find someone working at the Wal-Mart lube center that has equal or superior qualification than a trained and specialized Toyota or Lexus technician. The qualified people who work at Wal-Mart (those few that actually are mechanics) are those who can't find a job at a dealership... given that the standards at dealerships are exceptionally low to begin with, those working at Wal-Mart probably finished in the bottom 5% of their class.

To the OP... you bought a Lexus. I don't want to be harsh here, but you're going to be paying a premium price for a premium car. I had a couple walk into one of my father's tire shops a few months ago... they had bought a a used Acura TSX for chips and the cheapest tires we sold in their size were $270 a pop, and they were absolutely outraged. They had every right to be but it just goes to show that they were living way beyond their means. Now I'm not saying that this is the case for you, but you must be prepared to pay a premium for your luxury car.
Old 11-08-09, 04:06 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by FisforFast
You must be kidding. You would be hard pressed to find someone working at the Wal-Mart lube center that has equal or superior qualification than a trained and specialized Toyota or Lexus technician. The qualified people who work at Wal-Mart (those few that actually are mechanics) are those who can't find a job at a dealership... given that the standards at dealerships are exceptionally low to begin with, those working at Wal-Mart probably finished in the bottom 5% of their class.

To the OP... you bought a Lexus. I don't want to be harsh here, but you're going to be paying a premium price for a premium car. I had a couple walk into one of my father's tire shops a few months ago... they had bought a a used Acura TSX for chips and the cheapest tires we sold in their size were $270 a pop, and they were absolutely outraged. They had every right to be but it just goes to show that they were living way beyond their means. Now I'm not saying that this is the case for you, but you must be prepared to pay a premium for your luxury car.
Ummm. That would likely depend on the WalMart but I recently had a surprisingly good experience at a Walmart.

I was on the road traveling and got to my car in the morning and found a tire flat. I needed to be in another city some 600 miles away by the end of the day and WalMart was the only place open. They repaired the flat and went through the correct process of tightening the wheel with a torque wrench to the proper spec and then driving it for a couple minutes and rechecking the torque. Many of the Lexus dealerships just jam your wheels on with an air wrench. So you being close to the tire business should recognize that the process was done well. Not all WalMarts are bad and not all Lexus dealerships are great.
Old 11-08-09, 04:11 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Ummm. That would likely depend on the WalMart but I recently had a surprisingly good experience at a Walmart.

I was on the road traveling and got to my car in the morning and found a tire flat. I needed to be in another city some 600 miles away by the end of the day and WalMart was the only place open. They repaired the flat and went through the correct process of tightening the wheel with a torque wrench to the proper spec and then driving it for a couple minutes and rechecking the torque. Many of the Lexus dealerships just jam your wheels on with an air wrench. So you being close to the tire business should recognize that the process was done well. Not all WalMarts are bad and not all Lexus dealerships are great.
Unfortunately, the only people who call their experiences at Wal-Mart 'great' are those with old beaters they don't care about.
Old 11-08-09, 04:13 PM
jfelbab

Unfortunately, the only people who call their experiences at Wal-Mart 'great' are those with old beaters they don't care about.
HUH? I'm, driving a RX. Not a beater, IMO. I don't have my vehicles serviced there but I did have a great experience with one in Illinois. Like I said, not all WalMarts are bad and not all Lexus dealerships are good.
Old 11-08-09, 04:46 PM
arima
Rookie

just because you spend a lot for your car doesn't mean you have to go and get ripped off to maintain it. if your shop only has tires for $270(cheapest) a pop for tires for an Acura TSX then its not that they were cheap, you guys were a rip. Go check tiretrack and see what you can get for 270.

Last edited by LexFather; 11-10-09 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-08-09, 04:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

We have our vehicles serviced at places we like or do it ourselves. Neither one is better than the other. OP wanted to see if Walmart charged too much because he/she wasn't sure how much oil the RX took and it went south quick. Can we lay off the personal attacks?

Peace out.

Quick Reply: Oil capacity of RX-350 - Wal-Mart rip off?