RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Paint peeling??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-09, 08:24 PM
rookie07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint peeling??

I just bought my wife an 07 RX350 Bamboo Peal. The door handles are peeling apart. The Dealer is being a bit of a Deuche' about it. Isn't the paint on a Lexus warrantied for 8 yrs? They told me that they have to send the handles back to the factory to see if they're warranty-able. WTF I even asked them "what are the repainted handles worth"? I'll just take that value against some Chrome ones. He told me to pound sand, and that they can only R/R the handles. So I asked them "If these handles peeled apart in just two years, what makes me believe that the repainted ones will last"? He basically said That all replacement parts are warrantied for one year. Anybody seen anything like this. I was told by a car salesmen that Lexus will swap out chrome ones because they have had trouble with the Bamboo Peal color on the door handles. Let me know.

~Rookie
Old 10-11-09, 08:28 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I don't think the paint is warranty'd. I think the warranty you're thinking about is the one about corrosion, but that's only if the body pannel has been pierced by the corrosion.
Old 10-11-09, 08:31 PM
rookie07
Driver School Candidate

Your right about the 8yr warranty but the paint is 5yr/50k....... I think.

~Rookie
Old 10-12-09, 11:24 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Just replace with chrome
Old 10-13-09, 12:09 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Odd, my Bamboo Pearl RX is still going strong, in all areas of the paint too. But then again, I'm not exactly the average joe of car care....
Old 10-13-09, 04:30 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Just replace with chrome
+1, you can get a set of four chrome handles on Ebay for $30.00. Takes ten minutes to install, look great and your peeling problem will be solved
Old 10-13-09, 12:56 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by rookie07
I just bought my wife an 07 RX350 Bamboo Peal. The door handles are peeling apart. The Dealer is being a bit of a Deuche' about it. Isn't the paint on a Lexus warrantied for 8 yrs? They told me that they have to send the handles back to the factory to see if they're warranty-able. WTF I even asked them "what are the repainted handles worth"? I'll just take that value against some Chrome ones. He told me to pound sand, and that they can only R/R the handles. So I asked them "If these handles peeled apart in just two years, what makes me believe that the repainted ones will last"? He basically said That all replacement parts are warrantied for one year. Anybody seen anything like this. I was told by a car salesmen that Lexus will swap out chrome ones because they have had trouble with the Bamboo Peal color on the door handles. Let me know.

~Rookie
I know for a fact that they will replace handles with peeling or fading issues within the 48 months, 50K warranty. Find another Lexus dealer.
Old 10-13-09, 06:48 PM
rookie07
Driver School Candidate

Listen to this Guys. My wife went into the dealer today (Lexus of Bellevue WA) The Service Manager told her that the Rig had been wrecked and all the doors had been "refinished" and the warranty is completely VOID! She asked him to put that in writing so we could take it in to the car lot that we bought it from. Then the story changes.... Well, now we didn't say it was exactly wrecked and we didn't mean that your warranty is void. But that one of the tags is missing on one fender and the paint is thicker on the doors than spec's show. WTF? So you lied to me? No......... not really, we were just incorrect. My wife walked out of the Dealership with an estimate for $600 to R/R the Handles with Chrome and no warranty for the handles. I called the lot that sold us the car and he told me that another one of his customers with the same problem with the same Color had to get her attorney involved to get this same Dealership to warranty her door handles. But the lot owner is going to step up and replace the handles with Chrome for us. I got the name of the attorney that delt with this dealer, I'll keep you informed.

~Rookie
Old 10-13-09, 08:51 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't you have another Lexus dealer in Lynnwood? and another one in Tacoma? Why not trying another dealer first?
Old 10-14-09, 05:07 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be more concerned about the car being wrecked than anything. Is this the case or not?

I agree, take it to another dealer. If they still deny warranty then take the offer from the lot that sold it to you to replace it with chrome. Will it be OEM chrome handles or chrome covers from Ebay (or the like)?
Old 10-14-09, 02:01 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's covered by the warranty and the dealer refuses to replace/fix, would Lexus Customer Care help? Does the dealer have a Customer Relations Rep? Is it the salesman that you're referring to as "The Dealer" or Service Advisor?
Old 10-14-09, 07:39 PM
rookie07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redrocks
If it's covered by the warranty and the dealer refuses to replace/fix, would Lexus Customer Care help? Does the dealer have a Customer Relations Rep? Is it the salesman that you're referring to as "The Dealer" or Service Advisor?
She talked to the Service Manager. We're going to contact Customer Care. I'll let you know.

~Rookie
Old 10-14-09, 08:07 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by redrocks
From what I collect the car was bought off a lot, so not being the original owner, Customer Care might give you a hard time. On another note, I personally don't see why Lexus would or even SHOULD warrant repairs that were done after the initial ownership, especially since it wasn't done by them, apparently. And even if it was, repairs of the sort are only warranted 2 yrs/20,000 km around here (like accessories) here in Canada - might be less in the States.
Old 10-15-09, 05:46 AM
nusouth1
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus of Bellevue Warning

I strongly encourage you to follow up with the Customer Service Rep for Lexus of Bellevue. I have my own personal experience with this dealership (before purchasing my RX from ANOTHER lot). I experienced a level of dishonesty and "bait and switch" that I expected from a Snake Oil salesman rolling into town on a wagon...

Different circumstance than yours, but same treatment: changing the story!

I filed a complaint and also placed several blunt reviews of this dealership (including Edmunds.com).

Dealerships such as these who lie to to customers are doing the Lexus brand a huge disservice. Lexus needs to be made aware, and other potential customers need to be warned.

Hope you get your door handles taken care of. Certainly some dealership has the integrity to back up the quality you deserve.
Old 10-25-09, 09:36 AM
rookie07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FisforFast
From what I collect the car was bought off a lot, so not being the original owner, Customer Care might give you a hard time. On another note, I personally don't see why Lexus would or even SHOULD warrant repairs that were done after the initial ownership, especially since it wasn't done by them, apparently. And even if it was, repairs of the sort are only warranted 2 yrs/20,000 km around here (like accessories) here in Canada - might be less in the States.
Have you read the Lexus Warranty? It's an VEHICLE warranty not an ownership warranty. That means that the warranty goes with the vehicle. But, thanks for your input. They say ignorance is bliss.

~Rookie

Last edited by rookie07; 10-28-09 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Paint peeling??