RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

The easiest DRL disabling w/pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 02:36 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Did you try asking your dealer? Us here want the option to turn them off.
Old 04-05-10, 04:33 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 160 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jay2010
I've the 2010 RX 350. I want to disable the "DRL Off" switch, in other words I want the DRL's ON all the time and remove any option to turn them off.
Can anybody please help me with this ?????
How about tape

Some people here are salivating at the thought of turning off their DRLs with a quick turn. Leave it alone or else we'll have to create another thread about how to turn the DRLs back on
Old 04-01-12, 03:53 PM
Keaberts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

wow, some people on this forum have some pretty strong opinions about leaving your DRL's alone..... would just like to remind THOSE people that there are many reasons for disabling DRL's.... in my case, i disabled them on my RX300 because the stock DRL's are hideous... who wants yellow/orange light? I disabled the stock ones and added LED lights with a simple wiring harness connected directly to the battery which knew when the engine was on or perhaps when the alternator was charging it....either way, MUCH better looking. now in the process of doing this with my RX400h...

Last edited by Keaberts; 04-01-12 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-02-12, 07:52 PM
rbh2000
Driver School Candidate

I think the DRL's look cool
Old 04-03-12, 02:00 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice, i have it done on my RX400h since last Oct, it's a lot nicer than factory DRL
Old 05-31-12, 03:00 PM
MisterH
Driver School Candidate

Just an FYI (and sorry if this has already been stated)... there are some countries (where U.S. military are allowed to ship their vehicles) that do not allow DRL's at all, so this is a nice option to have//mh
Old 06-01-12, 08:21 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Even those this thread is from 2009 originally (and has been brought back out), it's kinda funny reading back through the thoughts of DRL's on the RX back then, when these days it's the new "in" thing that some people want for their cars (if even only for the looks). All new cars these days have DRL LED's integrated into the headlights and each manufacturer is doing some very interesting designs (not just a single strip of light). My how everything can change within such a short period of time.
Old 10-23-12, 11:40 AM
atlantatan
Rookie

I got 1 from ebay Toyota relay part #90084-98031 but didn't fit my 05 RX330.The 1 from RX 330 is bigger.
Old 10-23-12, 07:10 PM
winwin4all
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arnieosp
You can save about 45 000 lives every year in this country alone by simply giving up driving. Plus, acording to Al Gore, the polar bears would love it too. Or, if you are not willing to go that far, how about imposing a federal speed limit of 20 MPH. That will result in saving many thousands of lives.
5* Arnie! There are so many people behind wheels that shouldn't be even close to the car.
Old 12-10-15, 06:35 PM
Zee2020
Driver School Candidate

What vehicle are these instructions for, will they work for 3rd gen RX (2010 - 2015)? Thanks
Old 05-24-16, 08:34 AM
cbr900boy
Driver School Candidate

I too used the Techstream software to disable the DRL on my 2006 RX400h. It was clean and easy, no cutting or modifying.
Old 05-25-16, 09:18 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have used Techstream to disable the DRLs for all my Lexus cars. In lieu of it, I have installed LED DRL's. Sure they look non-OEM, but they are there for a reason, you can be seen!
Old 05-11-17, 11:44 PM
mhelander
Driver School Candidate

Ok, new member here.

Wife bought 2008 RX400h imported to Finland from US, which very likely had original high beam bulbs in place. Those were very dim when in high beams on, and after replacement noticed that halogen part of glass was almost completely black.

In Finland we drive with low beams on day & night, or now newer cars have been equipped with factory DRL, and recently legislation permitted front LED DRL's without side/rear lights on (which is stupid but whatever is lobbied by industry to lessen fuel consumption and get better CO2 emissions).

So this car still has US settings, and its auto DRL seems to have modes where there is no lights at all, or half-voltage high beams without other lights, or when darker normal all lights on. This is when lights mode switch is in auto. As this leads to uncertainty that required amount of lights are on, we're using our RX with lights mode switch in on position which burns unnecessarily Xenon low beams.

There is another side effect using RX in our colder weather, mainly depletion of the 12V battery charge. Driving winter time, keeping car outside and when engine warms up there is mirror heaters, seat heaters, interior vent fan etc "robbing" 12V current, together with 12V lead-acid battery's lower capacity to take charge in. Even fresh battery seems to stay low charge. I'm in need to use external charger to keep it above 12V. Of course this fresh 45Ah battery might be defect...

So, I'm about to proceed with following changes. Disable high beams DRL by removing relay wire or swapping relay. Install LED DRL kit, likely Osram LEDriver PX-4, and leave lights switch to auto position. My understanding is that in auto, system uses light sensor to switch normal lights on, which shuts off LED DRL.

Only thing worrying me is that Toyota hybrid system doesn't have alternator, thus these DRL kits sensing engine running by observing alternator ripple from 12V might not work properly. Anyone have experiences installing these "intelligent" DRL kits to Lexus/Toyota hybrids ?
Old 05-12-17, 12:22 AM
mhelander
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mhelander
Only thing worrying me is that Toyota hybrid system doesn't have alternator, thus these DRL kits sensing engine running by observing alternator ripple from 12V might not work properly. Anyone have experiences installing these "intelligent" DRL kits to Lexus/Toyota hybrids ?
Ah, it seems that nowadays there is hybrid and start/stop friendly LED DRL kits available. For example Philips Daylight9 which uses ACC signal to detect "engine running". This signal I recall was addressed in some of the DRL mods here...
Old 10-27-17, 03:55 AM
romayayo
Driver School Candidate

Did this. Got a relay on eBay for 4.80$ shipped.
Its plug and play. Works like a champ.
I’m tired of these drls always being on.

Quick Reply: The easiest DRL disabling w/pictures.