RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

The easiest DRL disabling w/pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 06:28 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arnieosp
The rest of the pictures.

I got the black relay at a junk yard from a wrecked RAV4. Toyota uses these relay on all models, very easy to find.
OK, so I picked up the relay.... my vehicle is a US model RX 400h 2006. I tried to locate the relay in question, and to my somewhat surprise, the relay box type and location is completely different from the one's in the photo for the RX 350.

I did try, in the garage parking lot last night after work, and I am not quite sure which relay/fuse box location is for the RX 400h. I believe it to be on the drivers side.

My 1st question, to trouble shoot, is...

1) If I find the correct relay, and remove it, will it disable one of the two drl high beams?

2) Will the relay in question, perform the same result, if I swap it out, much like the result found for the RX 350?

3) Anybody have a picture of the relay / fuse box in question for the RX 400H and location of the relay in question?

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 11-18-09, 07:39 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

1. If you just remove the relay, your DRLs will be disabled along with the high beams, at least that's true for the RX350
2. ?
3. ?
Old 11-20-09, 07:25 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default found it...

Ok, I found the relay, it looks nothing like the relay used for the RX 350. I am guilty of @ssuming. If anybody wants the relay for the simply swap out for the models used in the RX 350 let me know. I bought it on ebay.

The RX 400h relay is twice the size.

I will perform the same mod I did on my previous Audi vehicles I used to own. I will use electrical tape, around the relay tab and insert the relay back therefore negating the contact and voltage that energizes the relay when the vehicle is on. This will be simple, and quick.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 11-20-09, 06:33 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Good luck. If it works, post some pic for the "H" crowd.
Old 01-07-10, 02:11 AM
Waasil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot gents for the good information which you are sharing at here. Thanks a lot to arnieosp for the explanation and for the photos as well.
Old 01-08-10, 10:26 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by lonfrank
plus how do you remove these relays??
Just pull them out.
Old 01-09-10, 03:23 AM
metal
Driver School Candidate

Won't be changing mine....Why?
Old 01-26-10, 03:15 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by lonfrank
anyway why is this suv bs in this sc430 forum - even if you own one??? lf
This IS the SUV forum, Mister. Have you been smoking something funny?
Old 01-27-10, 05:23 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arnieosp - great write up! Just wondering if we have a russian speaking State Trooper on the forum here, since you said you found out about this on clublexus.ru?
Old 01-27-10, 09:16 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by Kostyan
Arnieosp - great write up! Just wondering if we have a russian speaking State Trooper on the forum here, since you said you found out about this on clublexus.ru?
Yes, I speak Russian. Привет, Костян.
Old 01-27-10, 10:04 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Cool!! ^^
Old 01-29-10, 06:31 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Yes, I speak Russian. Привет, Костян.
zdarova, wishing you were in MD to help out with getting off traffic tickets lol j/k
Old 02-04-10, 09:26 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

Sometimes I need to add my two cents into a discussion even though the same thoughts have already been stated.

I drive 40 miles a day on two lane roads to and from my office. It is an area with many senior drivers, especially during the winter months. Probably for good reason, the seniors tend to be slow drivers. Therefore, the number of passing events (and the number of times I want to pass a car) are probably much higher in an area such as this than it might be elsewhere. I can state as absolute fact, the oncomming vehicles with DRLs are much easier noticed than those without. It is also easier to judge the distance to the oncomming car when the lights are on. Over the years there has been more than one occassion where I pulled into the oncomming lane to pass and did not properly judge the oncomming traffic because, without daytime lighting, I simply did not see it. In addition, just the act of simply changing lanes on a multilane highway is safer because cars coming up in the adjacent lane are simply better noticed with DRLs on.

No matter what, I am unable to understand why one would want to disable these lights. They are already installed, do not use enough energy to measurably impact fuel economy, have no downside that I can think of, have the potential of doing some good, and incur time and cost to disable. Does disabling DRLs make a car look better? As controversial as this statement is, I certainly do think it is stupid to disable them.
Old 02-04-10, 01:36 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by RhoXS
As controversial as this statement is, I certainly do think it is stupid to disable them.
Then just don't disable them, it's that simple.
Old 04-05-10, 01:51 PM
jay2010
Driver School Candidate

Smile I want to disable the "DRL Off" switch

I've the 2010 RX 350. I want to disable the "DRL Off" switch, in other words I want the DRL's ON all the time and remove any option to turn them off.
Can anybody please help me with this ?????

Quick Reply: The easiest DRL disabling w/pictures.