RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Roof Rack removal procedure

Old 12-20-11, 05:03 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

While you have it all apart, do you see a way to get to the backlighting bulb for the PRNDL display on the gear shift? Just curious. Mine has been out and have not wanted to take apart even that much to check.
Old 12-20-11, 05:08 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Time to put some **** carpet in there

You did a fantastic job taking everything out. I hope it all works out. I've been following this thread because I have the roof rack removal kit for my 450h. Now I'm not so sure I want to go through with it with all the snow and rain I get.
Old 12-20-11, 05:26 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
You did a fantastic job taking everything out. I hope it all works out. I've been following this thread because I have the roof rack removal kit for my 450h. Now I'm not so sure I want to go through with it with all the snow and rain I get.
If you have the Sewell kit you will be fine. Some teflon tape on the bolt threads is just added security. Have had my roof rack off for years now.
Old 12-20-11, 06:11 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Time to put some **** carpet in there

Now I have the "bow chicky wow wow" song in my head.

Provided the holes are all sealed up, then it shouldn't be a problem.

While you have it all apart, do you see a way to get to the backlighting bulb for the PRNDL display on the gear shift? Just curious. Mine has been out and have not wanted to take apart even that much to check.
I didn't unfortunately. It took me a bit of research to discover how to take out the part of the dash around the gear shift. It turned out it was quite easy to remove and there are only 5 bolts and 2 screws that hold it in place. The glove box and the back panels to the trim around that area have to be removed but after that it is easy as pie.
Old 12-20-11, 10:23 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=draco;6895016]The water was from the 4 roof rack bolts as they were not sealed as well as I thought they were. Sunroof drain holes were checked by Lexus who advised that they were okay.

What is the proper way of sealing them by chance?
Old 12-20-11, 11:31 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

They basically just siliconed into the actual holes and around it a bit to stop the water flow.
Old 12-20-11, 11:45 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Is there a benefit of ordering the moonroof molding piece over the Sewell 4 piece kit?
Old 12-21-11, 01:44 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by adam8065
Is there a benefit of ordering the moonroof molding piece over the Sewell 4 piece kit?
The one piece is 1 piece so it's even height all the way through. Whereas with the sewell kit, the covers are slightly higher than the rest of the factory molding. Also some people like it to be one single piece without any gaps. I just order a single centre piece (that sits between the roof rack mounts) and cut it to fit. All one piece and only 3 joins (which really aren't visible).
Old 12-21-11, 07:37 AM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by draco
The one piece is 1 piece so it's even height all the way through. Whereas with the sewell kit, the covers are slightly higher than the rest of the factory molding. Also some people like it to be one single piece without any gaps. I just order a single centre piece (that sits between the roof rack mounts) and cut it to fit. All one piece and only 3 joins (which really aren't visible).
I don't mind the gaps, but on the sewell kit, does it need to be sealed like the one piece molding kit?
Old 12-21-11, 03:31 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

From what I understand the Sewell molding kit has a replacement bracket that would replace the original bolts from the roof rack. I believe those that have used it have added teflon tape to the bolts to stop the water getting in. I think there are a few pictures further back in the thread that shows these brackets and what the cover would look like.

So irrespective of what you do, those holes have to be sealed one way or the other to stop water getting into the cabin.
Old 12-21-11, 03:35 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by draco
From what I understand the Sewell molding kit has a replacement bracket that would replace the original bolts from the roof rack. I believe those that have used it have added teflon tape to the bolts to stop the water getting in. I think there are a few pictures further back in the thread that shows these brackets and what the cover would look like.

So irrespective of what you do, those holes have to be sealed one way or the other to stop water getting into the cabin.
Thank you very much!
Old 12-26-11, 03:15 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

I hope when the time comes to put them back on so I can use the roof storage box I have siting around that it's not too hard to do.
Old 12-27-11, 01:52 PM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are using the kit with the brackets and short plastic covers (The sewell kit or equivalent) then reinstalling the roof rack should be quite easy. The only likely issues would be if you lost the original bolts or seriously damaged the plastic end caps.

If you choose to install the full-length strips, that would require a bit more work to revert.
Old 12-27-11, 02:25 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Roof Rack

I put the full length inserts in mine. Sold the rack. And it paid for the inserts and one car payment.
Old 03-14-13, 10:36 AM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Done

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roof Rack removal procedure