RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Oily Dipstick. Can't Read It

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 11:48 AM
scout356
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oily Dipstick. Can't Read It

2009 RX350. From "Day One" I haven't been able to get a satisfying "read" on the engine oil dipstick. Unlike my other cars, after wiping dipstick and inserting and holding a few seconds and then removing for the "read" I can see only a continuous smear of clear oil. Can't see where the LEVEL is and just have to trust that it's topped off. When I change oil and filter I add 6 1/2 quarts per manual and have to trust it's OK. But I'd sure feel better in being able to actually see the level on the stick. Anyone else experience this? Thx.
Old 08-10-09, 01:20 PM
banjo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I have the same problem with fresh clean oil....Very hard to see clean oil on the dip stick...Try different lighting and angles..I have same problem with lawn mower any clean new oil....And yes it does seem to be all over the stick...
Old 08-10-09, 02:12 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gently lay it on a piece of printer paper, then compare as it stains the paper
Old 08-10-09, 06:14 PM
Boognish
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem here - I doubt Lexus engineers ever thought many of their customers would check the oil. I know, I know, it's the same engine that's in a lot of Toyota's.

I've found that even though I have lots of smears on the side of the dipstick, that I can usually see the level in between the smears after a couple insertions/wipe routines. Definitely takes 3 or 4 tries, though.
Old 08-10-09, 11:13 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I have the problem with the trans.

Did Lexus drop the holes in the engine oil dipstick. [I think the '99 has the tiny hole at max level]

Salim
Old 08-11-09, 06:38 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Boognish
Same problem here - I doubt Lexus engineers ever thought many of their customers would check the oil. I know, I know, it's the same engine that's in a lot of Toyota's.

I've found that even though I have lots of smears on the side of the dipstick, that I can usually see the level in between the smears after a couple insertions/wipe routines. Definitely takes 3 or 4 tries, though.
Glad to hear I'm not the only person who takes four attempts to get a good read!
Old 08-11-09, 08:42 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Therefore, detection is not easy, the strategy is the occurence. As long as you put in the right amount and there are no leaks, then assume you are ok.

How do you detect losing oil...that's the harder question. Normally oil is burned off, how much, very low...maybe we should check BITOG...for info!
Old 08-12-09, 12:50 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I noticed that if you check both sides...One of the sides will be smudged and the other will have less of a smudge and will have most of the oil by the max level(if it's filled up right) and a slight streak upwards. So I just look for where most of the oil is by thickness and where it ends, the rest is like overspray.
Old 08-12-09, 07:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I had the same problem with my RX300 many times, and that goes for other vehicles that I'd check the oil on. I'd often take some alcohol and rub it on the dipstick to clean it and then stick it in.
Old 09-24-12, 08:49 AM
Jumper73
Rookie

Reviving old thread: So I've just performed first oil change on 2009 RX350 which all went very smoothly. Had it on front ramp, drained oil completely and filter replaced, filled to spec of 6.4 qts. Drove around for the rest of the day after oil change, no issues.

Until I've checked the oil level this morning..

Car has been standing overnight cold, checked the oil dipstick several times.

First off, right away I can tell it'll not get clear reading because it seems like stick "bends" halfway in which would get smudgy on the reading.

No problem, as long as it gets good reading of oil level.. except when I checked the stick, it consistently comes up about inch higher than full "dot" on the stick.

Now I know I've filled up exactly 6.4 qts, with filter replacement per manaul so I know I didn't overfill. When doing oil change, I let it drain extra few minutes AFTER the last drip just to make sure all/most of oil would drain. Filter was changed to specs w/o issues.

I read on here that it's really hard to get good reading on these oil dip sticks. My question is "Is it normal to see it being off this much??"

Just FYI, I'm experienced on doing oil changes, have done oil changes on all my cars for past 15+ years with zero issues. I personally would never bring a car into shop for oil change.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Jumper73; 09-24-12 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-24-12, 10:24 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I lay the dipstick on a paper towel to check where the "line" of oil stops.
Old 09-25-12, 10:15 AM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I can't get a clear reading for the first attemp, I will put the stick aside for about couple minutes and try again. Usually the second try eill be OK. I guess that the tube is so small so that when there is oil on the wall of the tube, the oil getson the stick when you pull it out.
Old 09-25-12, 01:15 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

An 09 takes on 6.4 quarts?
Old 09-25-12, 01:25 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

the new 3.5 engine takes 6.4 qts with filter replacement
Old 09-26-12, 01:11 PM
Jumper73
Rookie

Originally Posted by dcdyd
If I can't get a clear reading for the first attemp, I will put the stick aside for about couple minutes and try again. Usually the second try eill be OK. I guess that the tube is so small so that when there is oil on the wall of the tube, the oil getson the stick when you pull it out.

I'll give this a try as it does seem like there are quite a bit of smear progressively getting worse more times i check it.

Or better yet, instead of wiping, i'll read the first reading when i pull it out initially.. should be no smear on first pull. I'll update on this.

as for question of 6.4 qts, yes it's 6.4 qts with filter replacement, 6 w/o.

Quick Reply: Oily Dipstick. Can't Read It