RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 Help Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 09:24 AM
boatable
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 330 Help Road Noise

i have had this car since new. It is an '04 and always been really noisy. I was told it was tire noise. After reading the post on this sight I put on Bridgestone Alenza's....NO HELP AT ALL. Still makes alot of noise. Sounds like rear wheel bearings. Have had to shop numerous times and NO HELP. Any ideas what be helpful. THANKS
Old 08-08-09, 09:47 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

What does the dealer say is causing the noise? Does this noise seem louder with the windows open or closed? With the roof open or closed? Thumping or grinding sound?

You're sure it's not excessive wind noise? Try this and see if the noise is lessened. Close up all the windows and on the front tap the down button just a tad to release the pressure and drop the glass a fraction of an inch. Does the road noise seem less now?

My RX had an issue where the window was closing with too much force distorting the weatherstripping causing road noise. There was a TSIB on it.

There is also a TSIB on an AC groan/humming sound. Another describes humming or groaning sounds when decelerating from 50 mph to slower speeds caused by transmission cooler hoses.
Old 08-08-09, 02:00 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

You will need to define the noise you are hearing so we can relate.

There has been a TSB on rear wheel bearing. Yours is a FWD?
Old 08-09-09, 04:32 AM
boatable
Driver School Candidate

It is a front wheel drive. The best way to describe the noise is that if it had a rear differential I would swear that the gears growling. Different road surfaces do not seem to change the noise, but at higher speeds it is MUCH LESS noticeable. Seems to be worst up to about 55 MPH. I do not think it is wind noise, as I have lowered the back set and ridden in the back and isolated the problem as coming from underneath.

Thanks so much for taking time to help me.
Old 08-09-09, 06:31 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what a coincidence, i was going to post about my noise as well, it sounds like we have the same issue, mine is also a 2004, but its AWD with air ride. i am suspecting the tires due to the fact that they are a little scalloped and almost at the end of there life, about 4-5 32nds. i notice it especially on the highway going about 80km/h, but it is there at other speeds.

if i still hear it when i change the tires in the fall i will have the dealer look at it.

i am pretty sure its the right rear wheel bearing
Old 08-09-09, 08:37 AM
boatable
Driver School Candidate

i put on new tires that were recommended on this site. bridgestone alenza dueler. waste of money and they were about $850.00 for the set. did not help my problem one-bit! i am looking forward to other suggestions. the lexus dealer has been no help. they even told me it was a gas tank issue...blah...blah...blah. wife has a nissian murano and and it is so much more quiet than the lexus. i had a rx300 first and it was quiet as could be. there has to be something wrong with my car, just wish i could figure it out.

Also, the bridgestone tires cut my mpg down about 1.5 mpg. had michelin's to start.
Old 08-09-09, 05:03 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by boatable
i put on new tires that were recommended on this site. bridgestone alenza dueler. waste of money and they were about $850.00 for the set. did not help my problem one-bit! i am looking forward to other suggestions. the lexus dealer has been no help. they even told me it was a gas tank issue...blah...blah...blah. wife has a nissian murano and and it is so much more quiet than the lexus. i had a rx300 first and it was quiet as could be. there has to be something wrong with my car, just wish i could figure it out.

Also, the bridgestone tires cut my mpg down about 1.5 mpg. had michelin's to start.
Personally, I don't know of anyone that has ever said the Alenza's are more quiet than the OEM Michelin tires; the Michelin's are about as quiet as a set of tires can be. Their wear and lack of tread life warranty is usually what gets talked about on this forum.
Old 08-09-09, 05:38 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by boatable

I really like my Alenza's and I get better mileage with them than I did with the OEM Goodyears. They are pretty quiet and at 25,000 miles, they are down to 10/32nds of tread depth so I'm expecting to get very long life from them them. Smooth and much better handling, especially cornering and wet traction, then the OEM Goodyear tire. I sure wouldn't call them a waste of money.

I'd have to ask what inflation you have set for these tires? I'm running 32-34 psi.

It seems to me that the noise issue you have is not tire caused. If you look at the TireRack noise ratings of the Michelin, Goodyear and Alenzas you will find that the majority of owners rate the Alenza quieter. The Goodyear was rated a 6.0, the Michelin a 7.5 and the Alenza an 8,4. (Higher is quieter)

Here are links to TSIB issues that you might review to see if anything sounds familiar to your issue.

TSIBs:
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB/2004/Lexus/RX330
Old 08-10-09, 08:14 AM
mandyfig

Has to be the wheel bearings...lift the car in the rear, turn wheels by hand, see if you can hear the grinding....good luck.
Old 08-13-09, 12:44 AM
802.11b
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone hear get a lot of road noise that comes into the cabin. I have an 08 RX400h AWD and find it really bad when it rains. I've tried sitting in the the back and you can really hear all the water from the wet road sweeping in the treds of the tire.
Old 08-13-09, 04:06 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2wd 04, I put on Yokohamas, nice and quiet, car now has 83k on it and it's quieter than when new!
Old 08-13-09, 06:42 AM
badams1897
Rookie

I had same type of noise previous owner had mixed tires good years and michelins .. anyway put 4 new michelins 235/55/18 and love them.. absolutely a dream to drive now.. and I got them to static balance them a second time as the first time they did it had a bit of a vibration at 60+MPH turns out they were an ounce off now its like butta.
Old 08-13-09, 12:58 PM
mandyfig

I have to admit the Michelins are quiet.
Old 08-14-09, 02:22 PM
fud
Rookie

I got Michelins on my AWD. Alenzas are quiet at first, but with some wear, its starts to get loud. There a reason why these tires have a longer tire life, as the rubber is harder and thicker. Michinelins are much softer tires so it'll be much more quiet. BTW, I did notice that there's a significant difference to cabin noise if you have the shutters on the sunroof closed.
Old 01-08-10, 07:21 PM
budda007
Driver School Candidate

Hi I'm having the same road noise problem coming from the rear of my 04' Rx 330 AWD. At first I had thought it was from the tires. So I had change them. The same humming noise is still there when driving. Louder at lower speeds, but still can be heard at faster speed. When I come to a complete stops, no noise at all?

would this be a wheel bearing problem coming from the rear?

Quick Reply: RX 330 Help Road Noise