RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Pre-purchase checkup - - $7,000?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 12:10 PM
forumnoob
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-purchase checkup - - $7,000?

Can the headlights be fixed somewhere else or a DIY?
Old 07-12-09, 01:51 PM
Sunapollo
Rookie

haha that's some rip off price ... you can diy most of them ... try to do a search next time ..

for headlight condensation ...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...densation.html
Old 07-12-09, 02:21 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey forumnoob,
Looks like they want to rebuild. What year and how many miles on the vehicle? I agree most can be DIY but WOW!! May have to walk on this one.
Good luck!
Old 07-12-09, 07:43 PM
hesham1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cabin filter is $8 on ebay and takes 5 seconds to change. air filters are around $12 and also a DYI.

Replace Rack and Pinion assembly are you kidding me? that is highly uncommon especially on todays japanese cars. how many miles does this thing have.

and whats the shell and changer? why do those need replacing?
Old 07-13-09, 06:20 AM
forumnoob
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sunapollo
haha that's some rip off price ... you can diy most of them ... try to do a search next time ..

for headlight condensation ...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...densation.html
Thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by donmatt
Hey forumnoob,
Looks like they want to rebuild. What year and how many miles on the vehicle? I agree most can be DIY but WOW!! May have to walk on this one.
Good luck!
2005 RX330 with 69,100 miles loaded with everything except ML.
Originally Posted by hesham1
cabin filter is $8 on ebay and takes 5 seconds to change. air filters are around $12 and also a DYI.

Replace Rack and Pinion assembly are you kidding me? that is highly uncommon especially on todays japanese cars. how many miles does this thing have.

and whats the shell and changer? why do those need replacing?
Thanks for the info, I can check those two off my list.

69,100 miles.

The shell is the key fob(cracked), that's not a huge problem. The changer is the "ERROR 4" on the CD assembly. For $688, I might as well try to install a ML system. (joke)
Old 07-13-09, 06:49 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

For $688, you can have a better aftermarket set up! Rip off!
Old 07-13-09, 07:22 AM
mws4ua
Driver School Candidate

I really can't believe how much they charge to replace filters. SUCH a RIPOFF!

Good luck w/ the headlight DIY. I'm keeping my eye on those threads in case my wife's car ever has that problem.
Old 07-13-09, 05:53 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't use these folks to ask directions! $108 to change out the cabin filter? The filter is $18 and takes five minutes to change. I am guessing they used a high-priced brain surgeon in his off time to do this? Holy cow!

I am going to guess that someone is trying to pay the mortgage on their shop
Old 07-13-09, 07:43 PM
bagsbie
Driver

How much are you offering them for the car? I'd like to see its Carfax and where it came from. I bet, they picked it up at an auction and discovered that they got had on it. Now they are trying to stiff you by doing this service. Run from that dealership and look for one elsewhere...
Old 07-14-09, 07:15 AM
forumnoob
Rookie

Originally Posted by bagsbie
How much are you offering them for the car? I'd like to see its Carfax and where it came from. I bet, they picked it up at an auction and discovered that they got had on it. Now they are trying to stiff you by doing this service. Run from that dealership and look for one elsewhere...
$20,995 w/ NAV. Not a bad price...

It was in one "minor" accident. I looked at the car twice, and I didn't notice anything. I can PM you CarFax, if you'd like.
Old 07-14-09, 12:21 PM
bagsbie
Driver

Originally Posted by forumnoob
$20,995 w/ NAV. Not a bad price...

It was in one "minor" accident. I looked at the car twice, and I didn't notice anything. I can PM you CarFax, if you'd like.
PM me the info on the car and I see what I can research on where it came from. With accidents it is not what you can see but what you can't see is the important part. If there's was serious damage where frame/unibody was damaged you might be having all sorts of issues with constant alignment and suspension troubles, etc. One thing I do not understand is why rack and pinion mechanism needs to be replaced. So, the $7k repair estimate is included in the price? is it AWD or FWD?
Old 07-14-09, 01:53 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

CarFax is not a reliable source for information for accidents. There's another report out there, the name escapes me for now....autofax?
Old 07-14-09, 03:57 PM
forumnoob
Rookie

Originally Posted by bagsbie
PM me the info on the car and I see what I can research on where it came from. With accidents it is not what you can see but what you can't see is the important part. If there's was serious damage where frame/unibody was damaged you might be having all sorts of issues with constant alignment and suspension troubles, etc. One thing I do not understand is why rack and pinion mechanism needs to be replaced. So, the $7k repair estimate is included in the price? is it AWD or FWD?
PM sent.

The said it was leaking so it had to be replaced. It is a AWD.
Old 07-15-09, 04:13 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
I wouldn't use these folks to ask directions! $108 to change out the cabin filter? The filter is $18 and takes five minutes to change. I am guessing they used a high-priced brain surgeon in his off time to do this? Holy cow!

I am going to guess that someone is trying to pay the mortgage on their shop
+1 Grumpa, not only the mortgage on their shop, but also their monthly large boat payment. Run from this shop and tell all your friends not to use them!!
Old 07-15-09, 09:38 AM
forumnoob
Rookie

Originally Posted by tromly
+1 Grumpa, not only the mortgage on their shop, but also their monthly large boat payment. Run from this shop and tell all your friends not to use them!!
Guys, this is a Lexus dealer

Quick Reply: Pre-purchase checkup - - $7,000?