RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 - 2007 Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 10:55 AM
Hoang_oanh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 - 2007 Question

After I activated RX350 2007 Garage door opener remote control & parked my vehicle in garage & closed garage door . But my garage door sometimes opened automatically . If I deactivated it & my garage door never opened automatically .
So, is it something wrong with the garage door opener remote control in my vehicle ? How to fix it . Thanks
Old 07-04-09, 08:19 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, obviously doesn't sound right. However, one thing I would recommend - take a look at where you are putting your original door transmitter.

We had this happen and I was concerned that it was something with the car's Homelink as well. Turns out, once I programmed the car I put the opener in a kitchen drawer and only by accident did I hear the garage door opening one day. I went back to the drawer I was just in and figured out that I had pressed the button by accident.

May not be that simple but it's worth looking into.

Good luck!

Jay
Old 07-05-09, 07:20 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

It has to be the old opener doing it. The homelink is a pushbutton, mechanical type. It should not trigger. I am with Jay's suggestion.
Old 07-05-09, 08:17 AM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
It has to be the old opener doing it. The homelink is a pushbutton, mechanical type. It should not trigger. I am with Jay's suggestion.
On my 2007 400h, and probably all RX's, the homelink is always powered, so there is the potential for a flakey switch contact. One way to check for this would be to clear all the homelink settings, and program a different button.

Related story: I once had a Mercedes SLK 320. Among the many reasons I got rid of it after only a few months was the near-disaster with the homelink. I got home one day, opened the garage door as usual, not noticing that the button had deflected under the edge of the trim, and stuck down. On that car, the homelink is powered only when the key is in acc or on. So, next time I was going out, I opened the garage door with the wall-mounted pushbutton, did the usual check to see if anything was behind the car on the floor or driveway, hopped in the car, and in quick sequence started the car, shifted into reverse, and started to back up. Of course, starting the car also powered the homelink which dutifully told the garage door to start closing. I was partway out of the garage before I realized that was happening, and stopped just in time to have the door come down on the trunk lid. If I'd been leaving just a little quicker or not caught on when I did I would have hit the garage door with the rear window, possibly hard enough to drop the remainder of the door on both cars...

Last edited by Kendig; 07-05-09 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-05-09, 10:13 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Is your garage opener a "rolling code" type or the older "fixed code" type? If it's the fixed code type you might want to upgrade the unit. Older fixed code openers are susceptible to stray codes. I once had an older fixed unit that would open my door when a concrete truck from a certain company would use their radio. I also recall a few years ago when a navy aircraft carrier made shore leave in Santa Barbara, California. Hundreds of people complained that the carrier's communications were causing their garage door to activate.
Old 07-05-09, 11:44 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kendig
On my 2007 400h, and probably all RX's, the homelink is always powered, so there is the potential for a flakey switch contact. One way to check for this would be to clear all the homelink settings, and program a different button.

Related story: I once had a Mercedes SLK 320. Among the many reasons I got rid of it after only a few months was the near-disaster with the homelink. I got home one day, opened the garage door as usual, not noticing that the button had deflected under the edge of the trim, and stuck down. On that car, the homelink is powered only when the key is in acc or on. So, next time I was going out, I opened the garage door with the wall-mounted pushbutton, did the usual check to see if anything was behind the car on the floor or driveway, hopped in the car, and in quick sequence started the car, shifted into reverse, and started to back up. Of course, starting the car also powered the homelink which dutifully told the garage door to start closing. I was partway out of the garage before I realized that was happening, and stopped just in time to have the door come down on the trunk lid. If I'd been leaving just a little quicker or not caught on when I did I would have hit the garage door with the rear window, possibly hard enough to drop the remainder of the door on both cars...
Man, that's quite a story, glad you survived. Another reason I'll never get another MB!
Old 07-14-09, 04:44 AM
Hoang_oanh
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all your replies - One thing is it happened when NO Garage door opener remote control in my house .
Old 07-16-09, 06:58 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by Hoang_oanh
Thank you for all your replies - One thing is it happened when NO Garage door opener remote control in my house .
Can not quite pin down what you are trying to say....
Old 07-16-09, 07:06 AM
RMB350
Driver

I think he is saying that it happened when there were no garage door openers/remotes anywhere in the house. This leads me to believe that the remote is not the issue..
Old 07-16-09, 02:12 PM
mandyfig

Gremlins...need some exorcizing....