RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How reliable is CarMax? 2007 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 07:44 PM
forumnoob
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How reliable is CarMax? 2007 RX350

I am currently looking at buying a 2007 Lexus RX 350 4WD. The car has 42K on it. Are there any problems I should be aware about? Rattles I hear are a problem with 350s. Has anyone dealt with CarMax before? The asking price is $29,998. It is my perfect color combo. Millennium Silver Metallic with Black interior.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-23-09, 08:55 PM
hesham1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think that is a little high for a lexus that is not cpo (certified pre-owned) and I think CarMax wont let you haggle at all. I got my non-cpo 07 RX350 a couple months ago, awd with navi, black on black, 53K miles, for $24,000 from a small dealer. I would say keep looking. the 350 does rattle occassionally, some people report its from the dash, i still cant figure out where mine is coming from...
Old 06-23-09, 09:09 PM
forumnoob
Rookie

Originally Posted by hesham1
i think that is a little high for a lexus that is not cpo (certified pre-owned) and I think CarMax wont let you haggle at all. I got my non-cpo 07 RX350 a couple months ago, awd with navi, black on black, 53K miles, for $24,000 from a small dealer. I would say keep looking. the 350 does rattle occassionally, some people report its from the dash, i still cant figure out where mine is coming from...
I've heard numerous stories of how cheap, lemon Lexuses have been sold to small businesses and resold in perfect condition. I have also seen 350s, Nav and all in the $21,000 range.

Yes, $29,000 does seen a bit much for this... Is anyone famililar with CarMax's prices? So there is no negotiation available whatsoever?

Thanks for commenting!
Old 06-23-09, 09:23 PM
hesham1
Driver

this is true, buying a lexus when in its non-cpo is like kind of rolling the dice, but your have some tools at your disposal. Besides carfax, you can actually get the full service history of the vehicle from a lexus dealership with the VIN number. The one I bought had a perfect service history at the Lexus dealer and was a lease return. The only reason it wasnt CPO was the exterior/interior (some scratches and chips, smoker vehicle with an interior that needed a little tlc).

The other thing to keep in mind is the powertrain warranty is good through 60K miles, and Lexus will honor it even if it isnt CPO, at least in my experience. Ive already taken mine in to get looked at free of charge.

I went to a Carmax before and they said their policy was that prices are not negotiable, what you see is what you pay...good luck in your search. I imagine youve got lots of options out there, especially because that silver on black combo is pretty common.
Old 06-23-09, 09:45 PM
forumnoob
Rookie

this is true, buying a lexus when in its non-cpo is like kind of rolling the dice, but your have some tools at your disposal. Besides carfax, you can actually get the full service history of the vehicle from a lexus dealership with the VIN number. The one I bought had a perfect service history at the Lexus dealer and was a lease return. The only reason it wasnt CPO was the exterior/interior (some scratches and chips, smoker vehicle with an interior that needed a little tlc).

The other thing to keep in mind is the powertrain warranty is good through 60K miles, and Lexus will honor it even if it isnt CPO, at least in my experience. Ive already taken mine in to get looked at free of charge.

I went to a Carmax before and they said their policy was that prices are not negotiable, what you see is what you pay...good luck in your search. I imagine youve got lots of options out there, especially because that silver on black combo is pretty common.
I will keep that in mind! I live in the south and 90% of all silver RXs I see are with the gray interior x.x haha

Thank you for your time How do you like your Black RX? My second choice is black, but there are too many black items on the RX, imo. The ground effects, windows, roof rack, body, and all doesn't blend in together so well.
Old 06-23-09, 09:55 PM
hesham1
Driver

I like the black but its so hard to maintain a good exterior look. every little scratch shows through which is annoying. from a distance it looks great though I actually really like the look of the silver and gray RX's but my last two cars were silver and gray so I figured Id go with this. I guess white is next! or maybe that new burgundy that they used on the 08 and 09 RX, that looks amazing!
Old 06-23-09, 10:01 PM
forumnoob
Rookie

I like the black but its so hard to maintain a good exterior look. every little scratch shows through which is annoying. from a distance it looks great though I actually really like the look of the silver and gray RX's but my last two cars were silver and gray so I figured Id go with this. I guess white is next! or maybe that new burgundy that they used on the 08 and 09 RX, that looks amazing!
Black is a PAIN to take care of. White is my least favorite, haha. The color never met to my liking. The burgundy is a major show stopper. I might be able to look for a '08 if it isn't too much
Old 06-24-09, 04:12 AM
Kendig
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We've been planning to buy a 400h once we wrapped up selling our previous house. So, last month when we finally had a contract I started looking closely at the market, both in terms of what the asking prices were and how long listed vehicles lasted before (presumably) being sold. Curiously, Carmax prices in general were rarely better than those of comparable cpo vehicles -- even before adding a couple thousand to get a not-as-good-as-cpo warranty.

My guess is that people go to Carmax not planning to buy a Lexus, and wind up doing so without checking out what's available elsewhere. I'll note I took our current car there for appraisal, and the salesman made a serious effort to both sell me a car I didn't want, and tried hard to convince me a Carmax warranty was better than a cpo warranty...

By the way, if you are shopping for a cpo vehicle, go to the following link and choose the "state" tab to search for cpo vehicles at all dealerships in a state except for the few oddball ones who don't use the standard lexus inventory system.
http://www.lexus.com/cpo/
Old 06-24-09, 08:34 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by forumnoob
I've heard numerous stories of how cheap, lemon Lexuses have been sold to small businesses and resold in perfect condition. I have also seen 350s, Nav and all in the $21,000 range.

Yes, $29,000 does seen a bit much for this... Is anyone famililar with CarMax's prices? So there is no negotiation available whatsoever?

Thanks for commenting!
Please show me where?? I cant find one anywhere around what you mention. Not a RX350 with NAV for $21K unless it had over 100K miles or salvaged title. You can find an RX330 04-05 all for that range but even then it will have some miles on it. Carmax always set their prices higher.
Old 06-24-09, 09:15 AM
forumnoob
Rookie

Originally Posted by benzo555
Please show me where?? I cant find one anywhere around what you mention. Not a RX350 with NAV for $21K unless it had over 100K miles or salvaged title. You can find an RX330 04-05 all for that range but even then it will have some miles on it. Carmax always set their prices higher.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

87K miles though
Old 06-24-09, 09:46 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

$29K + tax....$ 31K for an 07 (RX350), 42K means you can buy extended warranty, right combination for you, good vehicle history, take it!

It is seldom the case where everything fits.

Key is, are you happy to spend that money, right now!

Go for it.

Or else got to the Lexus dealer close to you and tell them, I want a CPO's 07 for $31K out the door! You might get lucky!

Luck has a lot to do with it!

Good luck!
Old 06-24-09, 08:12 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by forumnoob
wow kinda far from me.. never seen a RX350 for 22K! guess i was wrong.. but my gut tells me something is really wrong with it..
Old 06-25-09, 06:19 PM
forumnoob
Rookie

Is the mirror supposed to be like that? I don't recall the RX having mirror turning luxuries, haha.

Old 06-25-09, 06:24 PM
Sunapollo
Rookie

The dealership probably just does that manually ... let us know if that's auto
Old 06-25-09, 06:42 PM
forumnoob
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sunapollo
The dealership probably just does that manually ... let us know if that's auto
The other side is not turned so it is manual