RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Thundercloud RX330 Wheel Rim Trim Color

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 06:16 PM
ticdoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thundercloud RX330 Wheel Rim Trim Color

Does anyone know what the paint color of the 2005 Thundercloud wheel rim trim is?
Old 06-08-09, 06:47 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Can you elaborate on your ? Perhaps a picture will help?
Old 06-08-09, 08:11 AM
ticdoc
Driver School Candidate

Default Thunderclould Wheel Color

I need to find out what the color of the painted trim band on the wheel rim pictured here. Any ideas? thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-09, 12:33 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that those are actually inserts that fit into the wheel. I'll have to try to remember to go out and look this afternoon. If I were to hazard a guess though, they would be the same as the body color i.e. the Thundercloud Metallic, not the Flint Mica.
Old 06-08-09, 01:57 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Orzel
I believe that those are actually inserts that fit into the wheel. I'll have to try to remember to go out and look this afternoon. If I were to hazard a guess though, they would be the same as the body color i.e. the Thundercloud Metallic, not the Flint Mica.
The inserts are darker in color than the body color.
Old 06-08-09, 07:10 PM
ticdoc
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the trim color is darker than the body color. The trim is not an insert, but actually a part of the rim. The dealer parts department has no idea what the color is. I need to repaint the trim since the trim color has faded.
Old 06-09-09, 12:13 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Looked over mine, closely, and I still think that the trim color is on an insert, and guessing it's some kind of plastic (look closely at the area surrounding the valve stem). The color appears to be a darker grey than the body paint, and has no metallic hue. Possibly the color, if it is a plastic insert, is embedded in the matrix of the plastic. Since I’m lucky enough not to have any curb rash, or dings, it’s really hard to tell exactly what that trim material is made of. Will try to see how the insert may come out tonight when I can crawl under the car. No one that I’ve spoken with can give me much in the way of information in regards to the TC wheels, other than they are 5 spoke aluminum and have ‘contrasting rings’. I’ve yet to see any OEM replacements available.
Old 06-10-09, 06:23 PM
ticdoc
Driver School Candidate

The trim is plastic. Held in place with 2 5mm allen bolts on each wheel spoke. I was able to remove the trim. This should make painting easier but still need to match the paint color. No one seems to know what the actual Lexus color is. I guess I may need to have it custom matched.
Old 06-11-09, 12:15 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ticdoc
The trim is plastic. Held in place with 2 5mm allen bolts on each wheel spoke. I was able to remove the trim. This should make painting easier but still need to match the paint color. No one seems to know what the actual Lexus color is. I guess I may need to have it custom matched.
Good to know that I'm not going senile!! I was almost positive that these were plastic. As to color, I'm still thinking, based on the finish appearance, that the color may be molded into and a part of the trim ring. Now, I wonder if that trim is available through Lexus, and just what it might cost.

BTW, why are you looking to paint these? Also, just thinking out loud, wouldn’t the trim look good if you could match the body color, or possibly go with the Flint Mica color for added contrast.
Old 06-14-09, 04:00 PM
ticdoc
Driver School Candidate

I took the plastic trim off the rims to paint and I have to say that the rims look pretty nice without the trim after I cleaned the rims! I reinstalled the 10 hex bolts holding the trim. Anyone else do this? I may or may not reinstall the trim after I finish painting them.
Old 06-15-09, 05:53 AM
mandyfig

PICS, we need pics....to see!!!
Old 06-15-09, 06:43 PM
ticdoc
Driver School Candidate

Default Thunderclould Wheel Color

Pictures of 05 Thundercloud rims without factory plastic trim.
Attached Thumbnails Thundercloud RX330 Wheel Rim Trim Color-dsc_0118.jpg   Thundercloud RX330 Wheel Rim Trim Color-dsc_0119.jpg  
Old 06-16-09, 03:11 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great! I think I like the inserts, gives he wheels better contrast. That's what sets the TC from other wheels.

I like the Nerf bar. Does it reduce your clearance a great deal? I thought the black plastic piece under the door was supposed o be removed before installing the nerf bar?
Old 06-16-09, 07:56 PM
ticdoc
Driver School Candidate

No problem with clearance with the nerf bar. I got this as a kit from Lexus. The black trim under doors does not have to be removed. There is approx a 1 inch gap between the black trim and nerf bar.
Old 06-17-09, 05:31 AM
mandyfig

No inserts!!! Good looks.

Quick Reply: Thundercloud RX330 Wheel Rim Trim Color