RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 04:33 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RX350 Transmission

My 2007 RX350 has 14500 mlles. After almost coming to a stop (5mph) and at times that I need to accelerate quickly while traveling at approx 30mph
the transmission wants to hunt for the proper gear. ILO downshifting to the next lowest gear it does nothing but hunts for a second (seems like a minute with traffic approaching) then grabs a gear. Engine RPM revs naturally but too high. Dealer states this is normal for the hunting action. Has anyone else experienced this? The vehicle is perfect other than this one small problem.
Old 05-05-09, 07:32 AM
jayvis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This type of performance is fairly typical of the majority of modern automatic drivetrains. They're designed to maximize fuel efficiency. This is why it's important for buyers to test drive vehicles like they will drive them in the real world. If you need instant response and torque, first - don't buy an SUV. Second - shop for something that offers a manual transmission.
Old 05-05-09, 08:00 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, a '07 with only 14K. Has it been in storage or what?
Old 05-05-09, 11:48 AM
donmatt
Driver

Thanks for the information. I did test drive it but did not notice thiis hesitation in shifting. My fault!! Just one of those things that happens after awhile. My other SUVs (Explorer, Sequoia, 4Runner, Expedition) did not act this wayl. Oh Well! Yes, it has been garaged since new but haven't driven it very much as one can tell from the low mileage. Only two drivers with 3 vehicles but one is a truck.
Old 05-05-09, 04:53 PM
Aloger
Driver School Candidate

Yes donmatt my 2005 lexus rx 330 also has this problem well mine never knows what gear to go in and it bangs on downshifts and very slow to respond when nailing the gas and hesitation problems I bought the rx brand new in 2005 and have taken it back many times like 30 or 40 times for the same problems but the dealer keeps saying they dont knwo how to fix the transmission and that the software is to blame or I forgot to mention that damn clunk everytime i come to a stop. I have felt the same problems with the courtesty cars such as the ES 350 as well. I have always driven ford vehicles before this lexus and I will probably go back to ford since I have never had as many problems with them as this lexus. My ford windstar shifts wayyy better than this rx and takes off faster than the rx. Just keep bringing up the problem with your dealer when you bring it into servicing. I thought for the price of this lexus it would have been worth the price now I really see that it is just a rebaged toyota and would get a cheaper toyota over a lexus if I had too.
Old 05-05-09, 05:19 PM
donmatt
Driver

Default ES350 Transmission

Thanks Aloger, I do not have a clunk, just the frustrating "HUNT". Acts as if the vehicle transmission feels "What the heck I'll find a gear in a little bit whether it makes the driver happy of not". I never had this action in an SUV before. Sorry about your problem. This was my first Lexus also. My wife has an ES350 with ultra luxury package. Smooth as silk all the way. My RX is great in all other areas and I'm very pleased with it.
Old 05-05-09, 05:58 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Forgot to say that our '09 is great. No issues at all with 15K miles so far.
Our former '04 RX did have many issues but the dealer was a great help with most of them. I did have the tranny flushed & synthetyic fluid put in at 45K I think. Did shift much better after that too.
Old 05-06-09, 11:23 AM
anthonyerc
Driver School Candidate

INDEED. I have a 2009 RX350 and I have the same problem. I have brought it to the dealer 2 times and I get the same answer, "we don't know what's wrong sir." At low speeds, when I accelerate, RPMs shoot way up and then it bangs into gear. I wish Lexus would have put the 6 speed automatic in the RX WAY BEFORE THE 2010's. Oh well... I'm going to give it another 6 or so months and I'm trading it in on an LS460. I miss having a car because they handle and drive way better. Plus, I think the LS has an 8 speed transmission so I know that there isn't going to be and "hunting" for the right gear!!!
Old 05-06-09, 02:13 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I did a search on the TSB's for the 07 and 08 RX350 and did not see any issued regarding the transmission jerk-hunt issue. This is weird. The transmission issue on the 04~06 were so prevalent and well known among owners and Lexus at least offered the re-flashing of the program for the transmission. Many owners who came in multiple times to the dealer for this issue, came home disappointed.
Old 05-06-09, 06:27 PM
donmatt
Driver

Default RX350 Transmission

I have considered changing the transmission fluid to a synthetic but at such low mileage I wans't certain that it would help with this particular problem.
It is a great idea and worth considering. Any comment form anyone out there that may assist me in making up my mind to do this? Thanks to all for the input.
Old 05-06-09, 07:38 PM
hesham1
Driver

Originally Posted by donmatt
I have considered changing the transmission fluid to a synthetic but at such low mileage I wans't certain that it would help with this particular problem.
It is a great idea and worth considering. Any comment form anyone out there that may assist me in making up my mind to do this? Thanks to all for the input.
I dont think its good idea to change from world standard ATF. I saw this on a toyota forum:

"The reduced viscosity in the practical operating temperature range of the ATF WS enables to reduce drag loss and improve fuel economy.

ATF WS is not interchangeable with other types of ATF (ATF type T-IV, or D-II).

If a vehicle with a transmission filled with ATF WS is replenished with other type of ATF, the vehicle might not start off at extremely low temperatures. However, it will start off after it has been warmed up for a few minutes."
Old 11-05-15, 03:53 AM
Yunsok
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 2007 has over 100k miles. I have noticed the bang (or slips into a gear hard) ever since it was new. The bang or hard slip into the gear seems to be getting louder and harder. Maybe I need to change transmission fluid. The last transmission service was 40k miles ago. Any thoughts out there?
Old 11-05-15, 07:53 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by donmatt
Use only World Standard ATF. Here is the Lexus Technical Service Bulletin on WS fluid.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus WS Fluid-2.pdf (18.1 KB, 254 views)
Old 11-05-15, 11:55 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Yunsok
my 2007 has over 100k miles. I have noticed the bang (or slips into a gear hard) ever since it was new. The bang or hard slip into the gear seems to be getting louder and harder. Maybe I need to change transmission fluid. The last transmission service was 40k miles ago. Any thoughts out there?
Is yours AWD?
Old 04-08-16, 04:44 PM
EMC
Driver School Candidate

Bringing this back from the dead...

I have a 2008 RX 350 with only 43,000 miles. It has suddenly developed a harsh shift from 2-3 and from 3-4. The shift from 1st to 2nd is smooth as well as the shift from 4th to 5th.

If I accelerate, the revs will climb and climb before finally making the 2-3 and 3-4 shift. If I ease off the throttle between those shifts, it goes to the next gear smoothly.

Nobody I have spoken with (dealers included) has seen this before. The transmission shop was unable to find a code or anything wrong with solenoids, etc. Their guess was it's the valve body and the transmission needs replaced. At 43,000 miles this is a bit hard to believe.

Any insights?