RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

engine temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-09, 10:08 PM
lexigirl06
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine temperature gauge

I noticed my temp gauge is about 55%- over a little bit to mid line , just wondering why it is hotter than my other car > toyota sienna 40-45%, honda accord 30%. Anyone has the same engine temp on their car ?
Old 04-05-09, 07:53 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

In my experience over the years, the temperature gauges on our cars give relative temps as opposed to absolute temps. For instance, I look at the trend and the position of the needle on the gauge as opposed to the number that the needle shows. If your overflow tank is filled to mid-level, your radiator is full (please check only when cold), and you aren't seeing movement of the needle except during initial warmup then I wouldn't worry about it. I have four cars, two Japanese, one German, and one US and each of them show around the 50% point, give or take a few percent. I can't tell you what ANY of the numbers are since I use my advice as given above.

Gary
Old 04-05-09, 10:38 AM
jayvis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My temp gauge reads the same way (just over midway at normal operating temp) on my '09 RX350. If it doesn't move beyond that point during driving, I wouldn't worry about it. It's perfectly normal.
Old 04-05-09, 01:08 PM
lexigirl06
Rookie

I guess you guys know how much heat affect the engine, i 'm just worried too much heat can cause engine breakdown.
Old 04-05-09, 04:41 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Worry if and when it reaches 3/4 or more.

Salim
Old 04-06-09, 12:26 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Aboutthe same place our RX and GS temp gauges read. Like Salim said, start worrying if it rises to 3/4 and beyond. I've yet to see ours get any hotter, and that includes some serious high speed (triple digit) cruising in mountainous terrain.
Old 04-06-09, 05:44 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

my RX stays at the middle line. ive never seen it go above it. might be your sitting position? try moving your head from side to side/up and down to see if perspective changes anything.
Old 04-06-09, 06:00 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
my RX stays at the middle line. ive never seen it go above it. might be your sitting position? try moving your head from side to side/up and down to see if perspective changes anything.
I have an '09 RX and I never noticed this problem. I am 100% sure all of my other cars were always at the middle line, not 55% but perhaps 51% if any at all. Before the car leaves the factory, all the gauges are calibrated. However, I live in NY and these conditions may not apply to someone living in Florida... If it is at 55% temperature, I would not worry, it is fine. The only problem I had was with my BMW engine overheating, which would spontaneously shoot up to 100%, scared me to pieces. Anyways, the problem was apparently cracked parts in the engines and I had to get it replaced for 2K.
Old 04-06-09, 08:08 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Can someone take a picture of the gauge in question for their RX?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I started tinkering around with my cooling system many years ago in my RX300, it was always a bit above the middle, even after I did a coolant change.

Throw in a high pressure radiator cap, TRD low-temp thermostat, at least one bottle of Royal Purple Purple Ice cooling additive and now I can get with ease the gauge to read at the middle, but usually lower while I am in motion.
Old 04-08-09, 09:17 AM
lexigirl06
Rookie

here's the pic , taken by cell camera.
Attached Thumbnails engine temperature gauge-dsc00249.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
hyperdub (01-19-24)
Old 04-08-09, 09:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

That's not an issue at that level. That's normal for a stock RX and I've seen that level on newer ones that I've driven. If you have a Pep Boys near you, they sell the Royal Purple Purple Ice additive and you can toss a bottle of that in your coolant reservoir when the engine is cool as added protection, http://www.royalpurple.com/radiator-additive.html
hyperdub (01-19-24)
Old 04-09-09, 10:39 AM
lexigirl06
Rookie

Can i just toss it to my coolant reserve container? I have the red color toyota coolant on it.
Old 04-09-09, 11:41 AM
salimshah

lexigirl06:

Your gauge is showing below 50%.

I read it around 42%. Each mark is 20%

There is no issue.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 04-09-09 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-09-09, 01:15 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexigirl06
Can i just toss it to my coolant reserve container? I have the red color toyota coolant on it.
I am not a fan of aftermarket additives. I believe that your vehicle's temperature is good and it will give you a lot of warning before something bad happens. Many of the aftermarket additives are a cure looking for a problem, imo. Products like Water Wetter, Purple Ice and others claim to make the coolant work better. If your temp gauge doesn't move once warmed up and you don't have disappearing coolant, then nothing else is needed. In addition, if you choose to go ahead and add one of these products, I would suggest sucking some of the coolant out of the radiator when it is cold. Add the additive directly to radiator since the only time that the reservoir is used is when there is overflow or a low level and the radiator sucks fluid into the radiator. By withdrawing some of the coolant and adding the additive directly to the radiator, you are ensuring that all of the additive is where you want it - in your radiator.

Just my two cents.
Old 04-09-09, 02:02 PM
salimshah

The additive manufacturers throw science at you.

Heat is being produced in the chamber and the water jacket is transferring the heat away. By things like water wetter etc .. reduce the surface tension and thus make better contact with the hot spot and thus help get the heat transferred quicker ... no hot spot .. blah blah blah.

All the above makes good logic/sense. How many of us are producing rapid heat ramp-ups? If you are, go ahead and get the product.

Salim
Genotype (05-08-20)

Quick Reply: engine temperature gauge