RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330 trailer hitch info needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-09, 12:35 PM
geoffro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 330 trailer hitch info needed

I would like to put a hitch on my 04 RX330 and am confused by the options available. I like the "hidden" version where the receiver is up close to the bumber, but it appears that is only available with the drop down u section to accomodate the exhaust. I would like to know how the oem system is designed and if it is worth the extra expense. Also, since the RX didn't come equiped with a hitch, does that mean the wiring harness will need to be spliced? I have no problem with installing the hitch, but I would not be comfortable splicing the wires. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-09, 02:02 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

If plan to hang bikes etc, just buy any that fits. It is a piece of iron and just make sure the manufacturer says it is compatible to your RX [bolt position and clearances]. Inspect the weld quality.

If you plan to tow a trailer then you need the right electronics [to isolate the additional load for brake and parking lights]. You will have to look harder and also research if your RX is trailer ready. I would say start at the dealership. They can check with your VIN # and tell you exactly what you need. The dealer option is plug and play and requires no cut-splice. After market may require a cut-splice unless the kit comes with the right connectors. Lexus kit will have a receiver cover that says Lexus. .. what ever its worth is to you ... After market kits may save you $100 or more.

My first add-on to my '99 RX was the hitch bought from dealership. At that time, there was no such thing as trailer ready and I had to unbutton the panels to reach the rear bulb assembly and tap in to 12v aux supply. The dealer kit install was well within the scope of a DIYer.

One last issue with hitches is, they change the crash dynamics. The cushion of the bumper is lost and the energy is transferred to the unibody/frame. The kit that I installed had a suggestion to remove the hitch when not in use. Mine stays on.

Do a search and you are bound to find more hits.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 03-31-09 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-31-09, 09:07 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can order the harness thru sewell. I got an aftermarket hitch with oem harness.
Old 04-01-09, 06:25 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

The factory hitch looks much better installed than the aftermarket units does. The square u channel around the exhaust on the Hidden Hitch and other aftemarket models looks odd to me. My Toyota unit looks like it is designed for the car. You don't necessarily need to get a "Lexus" unit; the same oine fits the previous generation Highlander. When mine came, it had Toyota all over the box and no specific mention of Lexus, so they are identical. Shop for the best price; bought mine from one of the site dealerships. Same units are shipped to Canada; there was a French language label included in the box. I bought and took delivery of my hitch in the US. As for wiring, do a search here; there is a connector burried inside the trunk area. One poster devised an ingeniuos way to connect without taking everything apart. The harness comes with the Toyota hitch.