RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Radio Head? After Market in dash nav?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-09, 03:09 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio Head? After Market in dash nav?

I don't have a Nav, but I want one. The problem non fit the Lexus radio. I remember there was a JDM part floating somewhere that was compatible does any one know where it is?

Or have any tips for a aftermarket in dash nav?

Thanks
Old 03-08-09, 10:16 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know what the part number is but it is the OEM Toyota Harrier double DIN trim plate that you need. I bought it a long time ago, only I stacked 2 single DIN units insted, but a 2DIN will fit just as well.
Old 03-09-09, 01:07 AM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

pm trendytodd he is a cl vendor here. he got one instock.
Old 03-09-09, 02:23 AM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a couple of pics of the JDM Harrier double-din bracket and Alpine ISA W505 headunit with BlackBird Navi

A little blurry...taken while driving

PM me if you have questions or would like to purchase one.
Old 04-05-09, 09:27 AM
leo.cheng
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrendyTodd
Here's a couple of pics of the JDM Harrier double-din bracket and Alpine ISA W505 headunit with BlackBird Navi

A little blurry...taken while driving

PM me if you have questions or would like to purchase one.

Hi TrendyTodd, I was wondering if it's very hard to see your aftermarket NAV while driving since it's pretty low in the center console. Thanks!

did it get time to get used to? do you think it's pretty dangerous? thanks!
Old 04-05-09, 12:05 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Well, it is a little hard, but its not that bad. If I have a hard time, I usually tilt the screen a little.
Old 04-05-09, 12:42 PM
leo.cheng
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrendyTodd
Well, it is a little hard, but its not that bad. If I have a hard time, I usually tilt the screen a little.

thanks trendytodd for the quick response...also i was wondering if you have the backup camera with the aftermarket nav you got installed. if so which brand and/or which model camera you recommend or heard nice things about.

if i can a rx without nav. what do i need to install the aftermarket nav. and camera. THANKS!

Leo
Old 04-11-09, 12:42 PM
Gmueller1
Driver School Candidate

Default JDM Harrier double-din bracket?

Where can I get this? Thanks!
Old 04-16-09, 09:38 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
Old 04-17-09, 08:06 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The one on ebay above doesn't look to have the inner plastic spacer inserts. You're going to need it to fill the gaps on the side.
Old 04-17-09, 11:52 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gmueller1
Where can I get this? Thanks!
I got mine from TrendyTodd, it cost a bit more than ebay but worth the price totally. It comes with inner piece and no scratch like the ebay used and abuse ones. I still haven't found time to install the 2nd Nav yet, I'm still working on
the side led mirrors from Nigel.
Old 04-20-09, 07:15 PM
PaulyBallz
Driver School Candidate

Default Does the stick shift get in the way?

Trendy Todd, It looks like a really nice install. However, do you experience problems loading DVD/CD's because of the stick shift? I'm thinking of doing the same type of install in my RX 350 and was wondering; does the stick shift get in the way?
Old 04-20-09, 09:39 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul how many times do you load CD or DVD ? Most Nav comes with mp3 player and ipod adapter as separate accessories. You can potentially have a whole CD worth of mp3 and gigs of ipod music at your disposal. As far as watching DVD while driving is illegal and very dangerous when the screen is this low. I don't think you want to do that and cause an unnecessary fender bender for stupid mistake like that.
Old 04-21-09, 09:01 PM
Qx2Gx
Rookie

You can get the dash kit from beatsonicusa.com too...they sell the kit for $89.00 and a plethora of other radio dash kits for oddly designed imports; Infiniti, Lexus, etc. Check it out.
Old 10-15-10, 08:12 AM
alitech
Driver School Candidate

I have just had this done on my Rx400h. I got a Kenwood 5260BT. Will post pictures soon. I got a rear camera installed as well, the wiring goes all they way into the rear door obviously.

I used the kit from beatsonic which deals with factory amp and no nav. The screen is a bit low and I will need to get used to it, I hope I eventually will. All my speakers still work with the stock amp but I have lost the fader.

Also, I installed a PAC audio steering remote unit that works with the stock steering. An essential investment if you ask me. Got one for $60 off ebay.

Since mine is a hybrid, I was concerned I would lose the function of the "display" button which is very important, but the kit from beatsonic sorted that all out. I now have a full kit with sat nav, rear camera, bluetooth, dvd, mp3, usb the full shabang and it has all nicely come together with the stock speakers, steering and amp.

The only issue is that the sound is not very impressive, its actually worse than the stock CD player. I expected the opposite because its an aftermarket head unit. My installer has suggested that the sound would be much better if we bypassed the stock amp completely because its powering the speakers for low gain or something. The sound is not crisp and just dull. I am now considering an aftermarket amp, speakers and a subwoofer to complement the whole system. I am looking for a 6 channel amp liek JL XD600/6

Anyways, I hope my post was useful. Please feel free to ask any questions. I had a question too though. As I am considering installing a subwoofer, I wanted to know if anyone has been able to get a custom install that saves on boot space. I just cannot give up any boot space except for the space above the shocks inside. Any ideas? Any pictures to go?

I will place the amp where the stock amp is, so thats not an issue, its the sub really.

Quick Reply: Radio Head? After Market in dash nav?