RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

buying a demo 2009 rx350 - how do i know if it's AWD or FWD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 11:33 PM
wootw00t
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a demo 2009 rx350 - how do i know if it's AWD or FWD?

i'm about to buy a demo 2009 rx350 - how do i know if it's AWD or FWD?
Old 01-07-09, 04:47 AM
Dave_S.
Rookie

I'm sure there is probably some code in the VIN number that would tell you, but to be sure you can always take a look at the back side of the rear wheel as viewed from behind the car and look to see if there is an axle shaft going into the center of the wheel. It's easy to see if you get down on your knees just behind the rear wheel and look forward under the car. If it is AWD there is a rubber boot (about 4 inches in diameter) around the axle shaft and CV joint. This is just inboard from the center of the wheel.
Axle shaft = AWD, No axle shaft = FWD

Dave S.
Old 01-07-09, 12:54 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

The title should have it listed either via the vin or just plan outright stating it.
Old 01-07-09, 02:09 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you floor it and the front wheels break loose you know your driving an AWD also if you get torque steer.

A more sensible ways is look for the Traction Off and VSC Off as only the FWD version has those buttons.
Old 01-07-09, 03:02 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Sorry, are we making this more difficult than it should be? How about "ask the dealer"?
Old 01-07-09, 04:31 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

i think we're operating on the assumption that he doesn't trust the dealer.
Old 01-07-09, 07:56 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sportsfan8
i think we're operating on the assumption that he doesn't trust the dealer.
While many dealers seem to have a reputation (not the good kind) I can't imagine a dealer selling a vehicle, including the commensurate write-up in the bill of sale, where they misrepresent the type of drive. Can you spell lawsuit?

Sorry. I stick with my initial assumption that the OP is making this out to be a bigger deal than it really is.

Gary
ps, if all else fails, follow the comments by the responders.
Old 01-07-09, 08:42 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

On the RX300 and RX330, the fourth digit of the VIN will tell you.

G is for 2WD, H is for AWD.

Not sure if the RX350 is the same, but I am guessing it is. If nothing else, it is worth a look.
Old 01-07-09, 08:45 PM
LXLUTHR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cdnewton
On the RX300 and RX330, the fourth digit of the VIN will tell you.

G is for 2WD, H is for AWD.

Not sure if the RX350 is the same, but I am guessing it is. If nothing else, it is worth a look.
Should be the same, but if not peek under the car for a driveshaft
Old 01-08-09, 09:17 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
While many dealers seem to have a reputation (not the good kind) I can't imagine a dealer selling a vehicle, including the commensurate write-up in the bill of sale, where they misrepresent the type of drive. Can you spell lawsuit?

Sorry. I stick with my initial assumption that the OP is making this out to be a bigger deal than it really is.

Gary
ps, if all else fails, follow the comments by the responders.
i think it's more of a "peace of mind" kind of thing.
Old 01-08-09, 09:33 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i agree with the trac off or VSC off buttons. thats the easiest way to figure it out. look under the steering column. if either of these buttons are there, then its FWD
Old 01-08-09, 06:04 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
i agree with the trac off or VSC off buttons. thats the easiest way to figure it out. look under the steering column. if either of these buttons are there, then its FWD
We have an 08 awd rx350 (bought new) and quick way to tell if awd is the 4th character of the vin. If its "H", then its awd. (I don't know what fwd is). As for Trac and VSC, its not exclusive to the fwd. Awd also has a single button (located under steering column) that allows you to turn off Trac. If you press and hold the button for 3 sec, it will also turn off VSC.
Old 01-08-09, 08:46 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

If you can not trust the answer about fwd/awd from dealer why would you buy a used vehicle from them.

technically a demo has not been registered (titled), the purchaser is the first owner but the vehicle has been driven by "n" users who test out all aspects of the vehicle. The only good thing is, the particular vehicle has been well tested.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 01-08-09 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-09-09, 05:25 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

I highly doubt a dealer would lie about a car being FWD or AWD its so blatant that it can be an easy law suite and a dealers repution. It's more beleivable they might lie about the type of stereo or the number of past owners.

Lie about 2WD or AWD would be like lieing about you car having a v6 or v8. Its just time till your cought. Just make sure you get it in writing or request the Window Sticker. My Lexus dealer was able to provide me a copy not an original even though mine was a used CPO one.
Old 01-09-09, 06:25 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

I got the original window sitiker with my CPO '04, and the dealer gladly put it up on a lift to show me the underside - it's real easy to spot 4 wheel drive from the bottom of the car. Finally, I made it clear when shopping that 4 wheel drive was an essential element in my shopping. It never occurred to me that he might try to pawn off a front wheel drive car instead.
And, thanks to the above posts, I now know and will remember (even at my age) that the key for 4 wheel drive lies in the 4th spot on the VIN: if it is an H (which looks like a 4 wheel drive icon), then it's 4 wheel drive.
Finally, your part of the country (or world) is a good indicator; about 90% or so of the RX cars in the midwest and northeast are 4 wheel drive; in the south and far west, that stat is reversed. Here in Ohio, I would have trouble finding a front wheel drive car, even on the used lots. I have a friend in Atlanta who wanted a 4 wheel drive '09, and he had a lot of trouble finding one. I note that the original poster hails from our neighbor to the north, Canada. My guess is that front drive RX cars are pretty rare up there.

Quick Reply: buying a demo 2009 rx350 - how do i know if it's AWD or FWD?