RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Year to Year Changes to Make the RX Quiter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 06:17 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Year to Year Changes to Make the RX Quiter?

I have RX330 2004 made sometime in 2003. Its not noisey, but it in not as quite as I would expect from reading all the Magazine reviews. Was the insulation changed from year to year or windows made thicker? Do you think its possible to have my car dealer to add more insulation to the car?
Old 01-04-09, 06:30 PM
dynamic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you, we just bought ours and I expected it to be more of a quiet ride. We sold a Honda Pilot thinking that its just a Honda and Lexus can do it better but there is not much difference. I drive a Ford F350 diesel truck daily and besides the cricket sound of the diesel engine no road noice can be heard. Ford can make a work truck quieter then Lexus can do their luxury SUV, shame...
Old 01-05-09, 05:08 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I believe they added insulated glass in later models. I've noticed the 04 model is noisier than the newer models especially with wind noise and road noise getting into the cabin.
Old 01-05-09, 06:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus doesnt have the quietest cars anymore, there are quite a few other cars out there that are quieter.
Old 01-05-09, 10:43 AM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Couple of comments since I also own one of the early 2004s (purchased in spring 2003):

1) there was muffler replacement that made the RX330 sound a bit better. I got a letter from Lexus saying that my car was one of where the muffler would "occasionally make a funny noise" (or some vague words to that effect). Since I was one of those who complained to Lexus about muffler/engine noise, I was keenly aware of all the noises the car made. The replacement changed the tone of the engine/exhaust sound. The car was lightly quieter but more importantly, the TONE of the exhaust sounded more like a car, less like a truck engine. The original owner of your RX330 should have had this done if yours was affected but you might want to check into that.

2) our dealer here has RX loaners when customers take their cars in for service. I have driven an RX350 loaner and had not noticed that it was appreciably quieter. If others have noticed a quieter car, then I too would be interested in hearing about how Lexus did this. For example, I didn't think it would be possible to make the glass any quieter other than making it double-glazed like some cars.

3) Tires make a big difference. I had briefly tried Bridgestone Alenzas and I exchanged them for a variety of reasons, one of which was that they were noisier than the original Michelin LX4 tires that came with the RX. Road noise gets transmitted from the tires through to the car's cabin easily and you'd be surprised how much of car's "noisiness" comes from the tires. In fact, most tires get noisier when they wear and simply changing tires to new ones of the exact make and model makes a great difference. [Relatedly, I take with a grain of salt whenever I read end-user tire reviews from sites such as Tirerack.com. Some of the reviewers say "Wow, these new tires I bought are much quieter than the old pieces of crap I had", when in fact it was just the fact that they were newer; if they had simply replaced their "old pieces of crap" with newer versions of the same tire, they could be equally happy.]
Old 01-05-09, 01:03 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Beginning in 2007 Lexus added an acoustic glass windshield, supplementary sound insulation, and redesigned front fascia to reduce turbulence near the A-pillars and door mirrors. Google ACOUSTIC GLASS WINDSHIELD for more info.
Old 01-05-09, 03:14 PM
Scottydog
Driver

The right new tires will make a big difference.

There are shops that will add sound reduction insulation. If you are mechanically inclined you could remove the seats/carpets and put in some insulation yourself. I used "Frost King" thermal insulating foam product to help my Corvette reduce the road noise.
Old 01-05-09, 04:15 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

I had two 2008 RX350. One of my largest complaints was noise. Both of my RX350 had Dynamat installed and it helped a lot. The issue is the Junkxus body panels are very, very thin compared to a German (European) or even American auto. (I posted this awhile back) The front windscreen glass on 2007 models onward is acoustic, (good for 1-2 db reduction) the side glass is not. The issue is these cars are renamed economy class cars. If you move from a Honda or Toyota then they will seem quiet. If you move from a BMW, Benz or Jag as I did they are just a loud tin box. Tap your hand on the doors and rear quarter panel of your RX then try it on an American or European one. Remember the average age of a Lexus buyer is 61 years old, that said they probably can not hear well any way!!! Lexus took the first one back (many problems). The second one had issues so I traded it for a BMW X5, no comparison. the BMW is solid, quiet and has been problem free!!!
Old 01-05-09, 04:52 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What are people comparing here for quietness? RX to 7 series? The RX is no concert hall for quietness, but it's not any louder than an X3. Also, Lexus are still one of the quietest, if not the most quiet cars out there class to class. I've riden in the 750Li and it's not quieter than my LS430. The RX is a big vehicle with a lot of "surface area" for noise to penetrate the car.
Old 01-06-09, 05:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The LS seris is very nice as far as cabin noise is noise is concernd, but the RX I would not consider quiet, average at best.
Old 01-06-09, 06:50 AM
larry09
Driver School Candidate

Its dramatically quieter than my 05 SRX and my 05 Highlander Limited and my previous 99 RX. I couldn't be happier. Oh - MUCH quieter than my modified 82 Corvette with Borla's!
Old 01-06-09, 10:15 PM
runningox
Driver School Candidate

Is that muffler replacement can be done covered by powertrain warranty?

Originally Posted by Lexterious
Couple of comments since I also own one of the early 2004s (purchased in spring 2003):

1) there was muffler replacement that made the RX330 sound a bit better. I got a letter from Lexus saying that my car was one of where the muffler would "occasionally make a funny noise" (or some vague words to that effect). Since I was one of those who complained to Lexus about muffler/engine noise, I was keenly aware of all the noises the car made. The replacement changed the tone of the engine/exhaust sound. The car was lightly quieter but more importantly, the TONE of the exhaust sounded more like a car, less like a truck engine. The original owner of your RX330 should have had this done if yours was affected but you might want to check into that.

2) our dealer here has RX loaners when customers take their cars in for service. I have driven an RX350 loaner and had not noticed that it was appreciably quieter. If others have noticed a quieter car, then I too would be interested in hearing about how Lexus did this. For example, I didn't think it would be possible to make the glass any quieter other than making it double-glazed like some cars.

3) Tires make a big difference. I had briefly tried Bridgestone Alenzas and I exchanged them for a variety of reasons, one of which was that they were noisier than the original Michelin LX4 tires that came with the RX. Road noise gets transmitted from the tires through to the car's cabin easily and you'd be surprised how much of car's "noisiness" comes from the tires. In fact, most tires get noisier when they wear and simply changing tires to new ones of the exact make and model makes a great difference. [Relatedly, I take with a grain of salt whenever I read end-user tire reviews from sites such as Tirerack.com. Some of the reviewers say "Wow, these new tires I bought are much quieter than the old pieces of crap I had", when in fact it was just the fact that they were newer; if they had simply replaced their "old pieces of crap" with newer versions of the same tire, they could be equally happy.]
Old 01-07-09, 03:22 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Junkxus
I had two 2008 RX350. One of my largest complaints was noise. Both of my RX350 had Dynamat installed and it helped a lot. The issue is the Junkxus body panels are very, very thin compared to a German (European) or even American auto. (I posted this awhile back) The front windscreen glass on 2007 models onward is acoustic, (good for 1-2 db reduction) the side glass is not. The issue is these cars are renamed economy class cars. If you move from a Honda or Toyota then they will seem quiet. If you move from a BMW, Benz or Jag as I did they are just a loud tin box. Tap your hand on the doors and rear quarter panel of your RX then try it on an American or European one. Remember the average age of a Lexus buyer is 61 years old, that said they probably can not hear well any way!!! Lexus took the first one back (many problems). The second one had issues so I traded it for a BMW X5, no comparison. the BMW is solid, quiet and has been problem free!!!
Must be the only German Chevy to be problem free then (particularly as they are made in Alabama).

I've found the opposite actually. As an ex- Audi and BMW owner, I have found the Lexus (I've had 3) to be far superior in quality and refinement.

Getting back on topic, you will find that any vehicle becomes noisier with age due to widening tolerances through normal wear and tear. This is quite normal.
Old 01-07-09, 05:35 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Must be the only German Chevy to be problem free then (particularly as they are made in Alabama).

I've found the opposite actually. As an ex- Audi and BMW owner, I have found the Lexus (I've had 3) to be far superior in quality and refinement.

Getting back on topic, you will find that any vehicle becomes noisier with age due to widening tolerances through normal wear and tear. This is quite normal.
only Mercedes SUVs are made in Bama and it shows. Mercedes are unreliable, but they seem to be better engineered higher quality cars. Quality and Engineering are different from reliability. Quality when referring to their E class and up to. But surprisingly the C class is quieter then E class on the highway, but the E rides better while the C is more fun to drive.
Old 01-07-09, 07:27 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by triplecore
only Mercedes SUVs are made in Bama and it shows. Mercedes are unreliable, but they seem to be better engineered higher quality cars. Quality and Engineering are different from reliability. Quality when referring to their E class and up to. But surprisingly the C class is quieter then E class on the highway, but the E rides better while the C is more fun to drive.
X5's are made in Alabama also.

Quick Reply: Year to Year Changes to Make the RX Quiter?