RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Nav Hybrid Disk Issue - Need some new ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-09, 10:12 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Hybrid Disk Issue - Need some new ideas

A few weeks ago, we purchased a new 2009 RX350 (August production date) with navigation. It came with a 7.1 OEM DVD but the dealer has agreed to update it to 8.1.

I have been trying to make a 5.1/7.1 hybrid DVD. In spite of much effort I have had no success. The following items describe the results of my efforts.

-I can burn a clone of the OEM DVD that works and loads perfectly. Also, the system is able to utilize the map and POI data on the 5.1/7.1 hybrids without any apparent issue if the hybrids are inserted without resetting the system by pulling the appropriate fuse. This makes me believe the burns are good burns.

-Prior to inserting a Hybrid DVD, I reset the system by pulling the "Radio 1" fuse in the engine compartment for a short time. Alternately, I disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes but the results were the same (except I then lost the seat etc. memories). The system does retain custom POI data, even when the battery was disconnected, so it is not being completely reset.

-When the OEM disk (or a clone of it) is installed (after a reset), the Eng/Jap message about not being able to read a program file appears for a few seconds then the DVD loading screen appears. When the hybrid DVD is installed, the Eng/Jap message simply remains on the screen.

-The loading.kwi file I am using was verified to be from a Generation 5 OEM DVD but I cannot verify this by inspecting the file itself. I have been told the loading.kwi is different for each generation system but they are all the same size so it is impossible to tell which version one has just from the file itself.

Since the map and POI data on the hybrid DVDs can be consistently read by the system without a problem, I do not believe this is a burning issue.

At this point I am out of ideas about how to make a hybrid DVD but our frustration level with the passenger (my wife) not being able to use the intentionally crippled system while driving is rising exponentially. Any new suggestions would certainly be appreciated.
Old 01-05-09, 10:00 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

I did some more experimenting. If I use ImgBurn to burn from the original OEM files stored on my hard drive (including the 7.1 loading.kwi). It loads just like the original disk and appears to be a perfect clone. If I do exactly the same thing, but simply overwrite the 7.1 loading.kwi on the hard drive with the 5.1 version, the disk will not load. However, once the system loads on the original DVD, the system will read the map and POI data off the hybrid copy without any obvious issue.

This strongly implies there is something wrong with the loading.kwi file. I have tried seven different loading.kwi files, three specifically sent to me by email and reported to be from a generation 5 ver 5.1 DVD. I am beginning to wonder if anyone has successfully made a hybrid disk that works on a late production 2009 RX350. Is it possible the generation 5 nav system in the 2009 RX350 is actually a generation 5.X system, that is a transition system to the generation 6 systems now appearing?

If anyone in Florida, preferably central Fl, has a successful hybrid working in a RX350, I would be happy to meet you to see if it will work in my vehicle.
Old 01-06-09, 04:40 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

do a little research. several threads on this. there isn't anything wrong with the loading file, Lexus changed something with the 7.1 and presumably 8.1 versions to where a hyrbrid doesnt work. at least not just burning a hybrid data dvd like before. some people claimed to have done this but never was able to determine the combo of nav hardware, dvd burner, media etc. I'm skeptical.

i burned 5.1/6.1 hybrids with no issue but not 7.1. the loading files in 5 and 6 were the same size and identical. not so with 7 and 8. I believe they changed something with the loading file and the indexing routines with v 7 to defeat the hybrid approach.

You've done all the logical things to eliminate your burner, method, media etc. We ended up getting the lockpick kit from coastal tech for $99 to unlock the nav once we went to v 7.
Old 01-06-09, 09:59 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

ecount, thanks for the reply. Within the past day I came to the same conclusion.

How elegant a solution is the Lockpick3? I have read that the map display does not continuously update while underway as smoothly as the unmodified system. Is this true?

I also understand that once the speed signal is restored, there is not a smooth transition to normal ops. Is this true?

I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions as I have no choice now but to seriously consider the Lockpick3.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-06-09, 04:24 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

it's true that the map position doesnt continuously update while the lockpick is on. the way it works is fooling the car into thinking it isnt moving so the nav unlocks. that has never been an issue for me. as soon as you enter the address or select a poi and hit 'guide' the lockpick goes passive and the system recalibrates which i think is what you were asking about in the 2nd question. You don't have to turn it off, it just releases the unit once you finish the input.

I hardly ever need more than 30 seconds or so to do the input so my position isn't that far off. the cursor does jump directly to the correct position once it recalibrates.

It's an easy install. you probably know the nav reader is under the spare tire tool tray in the back cargo area. 5 minutes to install.

The way it works is it puts a push pin icon on the DEST touchscreen. you press that and the address/poi buttons become active. you enter the address and press 'guide' or start or whatever it is and it releases the system back to normal state. I'd rather use a hybrid but given i couldn't get that to work anymore, this isnt bad. it does not unlock the bluetooth functions etc. there is a different kit for that. this is nav only.
Old 01-17-09, 05:07 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Hmmm....I have a perfectly functional 5.1/7.1 hybrid DVD that has been operating for months in my Gen5 07 RX350. I made it following the exact same instructions I used for the original 6.1 hybrid. As noted there are a number of threads on this available.

That said, way back when I copied out to a text file the instructions I followed to make hybrids with my 5.1 LOADING.KWI and the 6.1 and 7.1 data. I present them with the disclaimer/apology that I don't have the original author's information. Here is what I follow:

-----------------------
Making a Gen5 Hybrid Nav DVD using the 5.1 LOADING.KWI
-----------------------
Note: obviously change 6.1 references to 7.1 if making a 7.1 hybrid...

You'll need a double-layer DVD+R (I use Memorex), and the mastering program of your choice. I use Prassi "Ones". Here's the process:

1. Get your original v5.1 and v6.1 NavDVD's out and make sure they are clean. If not, wash them with warm soap and water and use a soft towel to DAB the extra water away.

2. Make a folder on your computer called "v5.1" and copy the contents of the v5.1 DVD to that folder.

3. Make a folder on your computer called "v6.1" and copy the contents of the v6.1 DVD to that folder.

4. Start your mastering program and create a new DATA DVD.

5. Drag all the files and folders from the v6.1 directory you created EXCEPT the LOADING.KWI file to the project.

6. Drag the LOADING.KWI file from the v5.1 folder to the project.

7. Burn the DVD+R as a "DVD Incremental - Closed", "ISO 9660 + UDF".

I will note that I made sure to use the exact burning software that the original author used...

Hope this helps, and again, apologies for the lack of specific acknowledgement of the original poster.

--Scott

P.S. I have seen other postings saying that there are MAJOR problems with making 8.1 hybrids...so I can only say this works for 6.1 and 7.1
Old 01-17-09, 08:08 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

I've never been able to figure out why some were able to do this and many of us that had no trouble burning 5.1/6.1 hybrids can't get v7 to work. I know some of the dvds are marked with a U series and some with a W series. I don't know if that has something to do with it or not. I used the same method you describe for the 6.1 and had no problems. When i tried it with v 7 it didn't work. I wasted a lot of blank media trying to figure it out. I was able to burn a backup copy of v7 and it worked fine so the blank media, burner, software settings etc aren't the issue. When I noticed that loading.kwi file on the original v 5 and v6 were the same size but that file on v7 was very different, I gave up.
Old 01-17-09, 08:40 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by ecount00
When I noticed that loading.kwi file on the original v 5 and v6 were the same size but that file on v7 was very different, I gave up.
I am wondering if you got your LOADING.KWI files mixed up. Here are the exact file specifications from my (3) original Gen5 nav DVDs:

5.1 Nav DVD
--------------
LOADING.KWI is 48,082,944 bytes, created 10-4-05

6.1 Nav DVD
--------------
LOADING.KWI is 73,404,416 bytes, created 12-16-06

7.1 Nav DVD
--------------
LOADING.KWI is 121,477,120 bytes, created 6-13-07

So at least on my DVD set all the loading files are different - significantly. You might want to re-verify on your discs just to make sure.

--Scott
Old 01-18-09, 04:26 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

I'll have to dig them out and take a look. Maybe it's my memory that's faulty since it's been a while. I'm pretty confident I was careful about keeping the files separated when I did the hybrid. As you recapped, it's pretty simple really in that you just bring the v5 loading file forward to use with the other files on later dvds. And there were numerous threads posted a while back where lots of us had the same experience. We did finally decide that a hybrid 5/7 for Gen4 definitely would not work. Maybe my recollection from of the loading files was about the Gen4. Anyway, the Gen5 results were mixed. I know my burning method was ok since my backup worked flawlessly, now I'm itching to give it another try.
Old 01-18-09, 10:10 AM
spikerjack
Rookie

Ah, good point....troubleshooting the hybrid DVD issue is made more complicated by the additional issues between Gen4, Gen5, etc. I can only speak to my success with 6.1 and 7.1 on Gen5.

How much easier this could all be (and how many more updated DVDs Lexus could sell) if they would just provide an appropriate method by which a front seat passenger could handle the GPS while in motion.
Old 06-05-09, 11:16 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any luck getting a hybrid disc to work?
Old 06-06-09, 05:33 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

I never did. was able to get hybrids to work with older dvds but never 7 or above. so i spent $99 on the coastal tech lockpick, took 15 minutes to install and quit trying.
Old 02-22-11, 05:57 AM
straasha
Driver School Candidate

Could you please post the process you used to make the hybrid disk?
Old 02-22-11, 10:48 AM
rx400h1976
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by straasha
Could you please post the process you used to make the hybrid disk?
Pretty please . I am also looking for instructions/process for my 2008 RX
Old 02-23-11, 04:18 AM
straasha
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm, looks like the post I replied to yesterday was deleted.

Quick Reply: Nav Hybrid Disk Issue - Need some new ideas