RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Dirty Leather Cleaner armrest?

Old 12-28-08, 04:14 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dirty Leather Cleaner armrest?

I have a RX330 with the Ivory leather, but one problem is that the arm rest has gotten very dusty and dirty. How can I clean this without damaging the leather?
Old 12-28-08, 04:41 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Use Lexol leather cleaner. It's a great product that will clean the leather good as new. Follow up with Lexol leather conditioner to protect it.
Old 12-28-08, 06:27 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

thanks for the tip above. do you think i can also use alcohol pads? or will it damage it
Old 12-28-08, 06:39 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by triplecore
I have a RX330 with the Ivory leather, but one problem is that the arm rest has gotten very dusty and dirty. How can I clean this without damaging the leather?
I have ivory leather in my RX330 too.

Leather Masters makes the best cleaner and protection IMO. Once you get the armrest clean use the Leather Masters Protection Cream to keep it clean and prevent perspiration and dirt from soiling it again.

LM is also great on all your protected leather.

Alcohol is not good for leather. It dries the leather which will harden it and could lead to cracking.

Last edited by jfelbab; 12-28-08 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-28-08, 08:28 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

We used to have a detailing special interest sub-group in Club Lexus. I recall that recommendation was to use create a diluted woolite mixture to clean Lexus leather. This mixture does not damage the leather. I would suggest searching there before reaching for a more potent cleaner.

I prefer to wipe down the surfaces with a damp chamois once a month.

Salim
Old 12-29-08, 03:35 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

I had ivory leather in my LS460 and learned a big lesson. Dark leather for me!

My arm rests and around the interior door handles we always dirty looking. I did use the diluted Woolite and it worked but afterwards the same surfaces seemed to get more dirty in even a shorter amount of time. After some time even the Woolite would not work. I even had the dealer look at and attempt to clean at service and they could not remove and this was only after 10k miles!

You would think my hands were filthy but the passenger side looked near as bad as mine in no time.

It was good bye LS460!

Last edited by ggebhardt; 12-29-08 at 03:40 AM.
Old 12-29-08, 05:34 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I had ivory leather in my LS460 and learned a big lesson. Dark leather for me!

My arm rests and around the interior door handles we always dirty looking. I did use the diluted Woolite and it worked but afterwards the same surfaces seemed to get more dirty in even a shorter amount of time. After some time even the Woolite would not work. I even had the dealer look at and attempt to clean at service and they could not remove and this was only after 10k miles!

You would think my hands were filthy but the passenger side looked near as bad as mine in no time.

It was good bye LS460!
We are in the same condition. I but one day you looked down at the arm rest while waiting for someone to come up of the store and my god this armrest is filthy. that's what happened to me! I'm a student so I don't get dirty either, only my hands get covered in pencil smudge. lol

So don't use Woolite?
Old 12-29-08, 06:17 AM
jfelbab

When you use a detergent, like Woolite, you need to wipe it off completely with a damp MF after you clean the leather. Pay special attention to the seams. After it dries (20-30 minures) You should also then apply a leather protection cream to reseal the leather and help to keep it clean. The leather is painted (urethane coating) much like the paint on your car only more porous and flexible. You apply a sealant or wax to help protect your paint. Likewise, ou need to do the same for the leather.

It is also a good idea to clean those areas more prone to soil frequently. Dirt is the biggest threat to your leather. Use of most leather conditioners leave the leather with an oily film which attracts dirt quicker. Thats why it is important to use a protectant and not a conditioner.
Old 12-29-08, 09:00 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Woolite recommendation was based on some analysis that it does not harm the agents used on leather to keep it soft by Lexus. Other product may remove it permanently. I only wipe it down and use the leather treatment from Lexus.

IMHO, Ivory interior makes the inside appear a bit more roomy and in high sun environment it keeps the inside cooler.

The grime buildup is not necessarily a reflection on hygiene, it has more to do with the oils the skin exudes and the dust in the cabin. A regular wipe down will take care of both.

Salim
Old 12-29-08, 09:56 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I have used the Lemon scrub, but use sparingly. Wipe down with wet cloth. Then apply your conditioner. I use Zymol. I am sure there are better brands, but I am happy with Zymol.
Old 12-30-08, 04:18 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I did use the Lexus leather protection cream after the Woolite and I did rinse with a damp cloth to get the Woolite off after cleaning.

It did clean the leather at first but not after a while, it would not remove the grime. The grime DID seem to appear more quickly after I started using the Woolite.

I do agree the ivory is nice and bright and make the cabin look bigger but not after it can no longer be maintained.

My ivory seats even began picking up some blue from my bluejeans which I wear daily.

Give me grey leather!
Old 12-30-08, 05:30 AM
jfelbab

Are you buffing the leather dry after applying the Lexus conditioner. BTW, This conditioner is not the same as the LM Protection Cream. The Lexus product leaves an oily film that needs to be buffed dry with a clean MF or it will continue to become soiled quickly. This film leaves a nice buttery feel to the leather top-coat but it is not really the product you want to use as it actually hastens the re-soiling. The LM protectant dries and doesn't leave this sticky feel. Dirt doesn't cling to this protectant.

Blue jeans and oil tanned leather belts create a serious issue on ivory leather. The dyes will leach from these into the leather topcoat. You should choose what belts you use so as not to wear oil tanned belts and blue jeans are a bad choice anytime. You might want to consider wearing khakies. Once you get this dye into your leather you will not get it out. Advantage black leather. LOL.
Old 12-30-08, 07:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Blue jeans and oil tanned leather belts create a serious issue on ivory leather. The dyes will leach from these into the leather topcoat. You should choose what belts you use so as not to wear oil tanned belts and blue jeans are a bad choice anytime.
Thats why I always drive naked
Old 12-30-08, 08:53 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Blue jeans and oil tanned leather belts create a serious issue on ivory leather. The dyes will leach from these into the leather topcoat. You should choose what belts you use so as not to wear oil tanned belts and blue jeans are a bad choice anytime. You might want to consider wearing khakies. Once you get this dye into your leather you will not get it out. Advantage black leather. LOL.
Well I guess Lexus does not want us to wear jeans!

Yep no ivory leather for ME!

Most people buy a vehicle to drive. I do take care of mine and pay attention to the interior but life marches on and i can't see this color interior practical except for the one who loves to do detail work every weekend.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 12-30-08 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-30-08, 10:02 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I be damn if I am going to let my car tell me what to wear

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dirty Leather Cleaner armrest?