RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

The seat belt light on the driver side won't go off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 12:19 PM
tjhood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry The seat belt light on the driver side won't go off.

Hello
I have an RX330 2004. The seat belt light on the driver side will not goes even you're not sitting on it. Can someone please tell what is the problem?
Thanks,
TJ
Old 12-11-08, 12:24 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is a silly question, did you fasten your seat belt?
Old 12-11-08, 12:32 PM
tjhood
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
Here is a silly question, did you fasten your seat belt?
When fasten the seat belt, The light will go off. I'm not sitting on the seat. My car was running and I forgot something in the house. When I get off the car to go inside the house, I saw the seat belt light keeps flashing but I'm not sitting on it.
Old 12-11-08, 01:04 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats how its suppose to work, you fasten the seat belt the light goes off.
Old 12-11-08, 03:54 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by tjhood
When fasten the seat belt, The light will go off. I'm not sitting on the seat. My car was running and I forgot something in the house. When I get off the car to go inside the house, I saw the seat belt light keeps flashing but I'm not sitting on it.
The passenger side has a sensor for weight (some one sitting) as driver only is a possibility. The driver side will flash till the tongue of the seat belt is clicked into the receptacle.

Salim
Old 12-11-08, 07:42 PM
tjhood
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
The passenger side has a sensor for weight (some one sitting) as driver only is a possibility. The driver side will flash till the tongue of the seat belt is clicked into the receptacle.

Salim
So on the driver side does not have the weight sensor. I thought the flashing light is to remind you to put your seat belt on when you're sitting just like on passenger side.
Old 12-11-08, 08:36 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjhood
So on the driver side does not have the weight sensor. I thought the flashing light is to remind you to put your seat belt on when you're sitting just like on passenger side.

The flashing light is a reminder to put your seat belt on. The difference between the drivers side and the passenger side is there is ALWAYS a driver so there is no sensor. The light will flash until you buckle up. On the passenger side though, there may be no passenger, so it would be annoying to have the passenger seat belt reminder constantly flashing if there is nobody sitting there, thus the sensor to detect if a passenger is really sitting there or not, and once it determines a passenger is sitting there the seat belt reminder will activate until the passenger buckles up.

Anyway, it is working perfectly normal

Last edited by CK6Speed; 12-12-08 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-12-08, 07:07 AM
tjhood
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The flashing light is a reminder to put your seat belt on. The difference between the drivers side and the passenger side is there is ALWAYS a driver so there is no sensor. The light will flash until you buckle up. On the passenger side though, there may be no passenger, so it would be annoying to have the passenger seat belt reminder constantly flashing if there is nobody sighting there, thus the sensor to detect if a passenger is really sitting there or not, and once it determines a passenger is sitting there the seat belt reminder will activate until the passenger buckles up.

Anyway, it is working perfectly normal
Thanks for a very clear explanation CK6Speed. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-25-09, 01:58 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm well mines stays on even after putting on my seatbelt. one day it just did that, how do i fix that? or can i reset it soemhow?
Old 03-25-09, 08:05 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

It could be the sensor/switch in the belt tongue receiver has gone bad (or just worn out). Also check the condition of the wire leading out of the tongue receiver.

Salim