RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Remote start 2009 rx 350

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 08:12 AM
ZIN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start 2009 rx 350

Anybody put a remote starter in there RX350? Is there reasons not to have this done or certain precautions that I should address?
I would like to get this for my wife for Christmas but I need to know it is safe.
I called my Lexus dealer and they told me they don't install them anymore and gave me 2 other establishments that did. any comments would be appreciated.
Old 12-03-08, 08:30 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did one about 3-4 weeks ago. Ungodly easy vehicle to work on and VERY simple for a decent installer to do. No reasons whatsoever not to have it done.

DON'T take it to a dealer to have it done. The purchase and install charge is roughly triple what you will pay at a reputable shop.(at least here on the East Coast) AND, the dealers just farm that work out to shops anyway! By going directly to the shop you will get the same product and work for 1/3 the cost!
Old 12-03-08, 08:35 AM
ZIN
Driver

AWSOME !!! I appreciate your advice and input. I have a date with a local installer who has done work on my earlier vehicles and my price will be $350.00. I was told about a Lexus bypass that is needed from someone is this true? Extra $75.00 part.
Old 12-03-08, 08:36 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Does the RX have a push button start or "dummy ****" on the ignition cylinder or actual key slot?
Old 12-03-08, 08:40 AM
ZIN
Driver

Originally Posted by mkorsu
does the rx have a push button start or "dummy ****" on the ignition cylinder or actual key slot?
key slot....
Old 12-03-08, 08:45 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Then the module needed would be the Directed Electronics 556U Transponder module. I used this on the 09 RX I did as well. It's only a $17.00 part wholesale. My shop here usually charges about $50.00 extra for it installed.

Your quoted price of $350 is somewhat high but not outrageous. I also don't know what the current market is like in your area, but an individual like myself would charge about $225-$265 for that work as a side job. A shop will charge a bit more due to their overhead.
Old 12-03-08, 08:51 AM
ZIN
Driver

THANKS AGAIN, I AM ON THE BORDER OF WI./IL,AND THE 2 PRICES IN ILLINOIS WHERE I BOUGHT MY LEXUS ARE BOTH $500.00 AND UP.
SO I WILL BE HAPPY WITH $350.00 I GUESS.
Old 06-13-09, 04:19 AM
gerenr
Driver School Candidate

What about remote start for RX-350s with "smartkey" systems.. that is ...RXs with pushbutton start. I e-mailed a company that manufactures remote-start systems asking if they were planning to engineer a system for RX 350 with smartkey systems, and received the following answer. ""Perhaps. But most all the Lexus vehicles except for the 09s can currently be remote started using existing products already on the market. The 09s have changed their encryption and will likely take longer before the interfaces are revised to accomodate that." I would really appreciate hearing an expert like MKORSU's for his opinion and advice.
BTW, I have just purchased a 2010 RX-350. A major disappointment is there is no factory-installed remote start system for this vehicle. My quest is to find a decent after-market system that, ideally, will work using the existing remotes.
Old 07-10-11, 10:49 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm on the East Coast, NYC to be exact. I asked one shop while he was installing the bumper guard and they said they don't recommend it because after a few years they go bad and that it may void the factory warranty.

What are your thoughts?
Old 07-11-11, 09:07 AM
stunt66
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I paid $500(in canada) for a compustar pro 2way/installation on ours and so far it works perfectly. Got it done through a friends shop who does for our local honda dealer. The thing with these is they can be very finicky and sometimes its not even the installers fault. We've had them on all our past cars and they all had problems here and there and 2 of them were factory units. The good thing with going with a factory starter is its covered under warranty if it kills your electrical system which if you google it happens. To be honest even if I had to replace this every few years it would be totally worth it because where i live it gets down to minus 30 in the winter and theres nothing better than getting into a warm car

gerenr, My sister just bought a 2011RX and she got the factory starter installed so i dont see why you cant. The start buttons are on the plastic key fob thing that you get with the new rx's so all she has to carry is that.
Old 07-11-11, 03:29 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by gerenr
What about remote start for RX-350s with "smartkey" systems.. that is ...RXs with pushbutton start. I e-mailed a company that manufactures remote-start systems asking if they were planning to engineer a system for RX 350 with smartkey systems, and received the following answer. ""Perhaps. But most all the Lexus vehicles except for the 09s can currently be remote started using existing products already on the market. The 09s have changed their encryption and will likely take longer before the interfaces are revised to accomodate that." I would really appreciate hearing an expert like MKORSU's for his opinion and advice.
BTW, I have just purchased a 2010 RX-350. A major disappointment is there is no factory-installed remote start system for this vehicle. My quest is to find a decent after-market system that, ideally, will work using the existing remotes.
gerenr, you can buy Lexus remote start from Sewell. Sign up with them to get the discounted price of $176.90. They also include installation instructions on the page. If the dealer does it, it'll run you about $600 total, maybe more since you're in Canada.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2011/2585.html

I never bothered looking into adding remote start to my 330 because, like a lot of people have encountered, it was more trouble than it was worth.
Old 07-11-11, 03:52 PM
BurntRubbr
Driver School Candidate

Talking Want to disable GPS Lock-out? Gents, start your engines!

Okay Lexus drivers, hang on to your seats!
After much fishing around in thew driveway while husband was taking a nap..got it all figured.

Turn on the ignition first.
First press your MENU button.
Should bring up a box called "Volume."
If not, then press your INFO button and it will..
Depends on your car model. I think the Lexus RX 330 is "Menu."

When you see that illustrious VOLUME button, press it.
Up at the top of the screen on the left hand is a thangy that looks like a speaker with illustrated 'sounds' coming out if it. (You must do this step TWICE. I repeat, TWICE!)

Press the speaker-thingy on the left top on your screen, THEN press the bottom left of your screen (That's right, there's nothing there--DO IT ANYWAY!) I'm a woman, do it anyway!!!!
You must press the speaker and the bottom left on the screen twice to see OVERRIDE button. There will be a list of buttons. PRESS AND HOLD the override button until you hear a "beep." You may now drive, enter locations and not be bullied into NOT using your GPS.
CAUTION: Dude was killed using his GPS while driving, so let your passenger do this for you if at all possible.
Here's the crapola part---you must do this everytime you start your engines!
Oh well, becomes second nature after awhile. Kinda like sleeping, eating and having...umm..nevermind.
Old 01-15-12, 08:29 AM
blue350
Driver School Candidate

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2011/2585.html

I signed up on that site and there was no additional discount. Is the discount no longer available?
Old 01-15-12, 09:22 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by blue350
I signed up on that site and there was no additional discount. Is the discount no longer available?
Original price is $240. Discounted is $176.90. If you are not seeing the price then you need to delete the item from your basket, make sure you are logged in, and then add the product. If you add the product before you login you will not get the discount.
Old 01-15-12, 02:27 PM
blue350
Driver School Candidate

I logged in and the price was still $240. Is there a discount code?

Quick Reply: Remote start 2009 rx 350