RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Tranny and Rear Differential fluid changes

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-08, 06:43 PM
User 3923

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny and Rear Differential fluid changes

Greetings!

I have read in several posts regarding changing:

-Transmission Fluid (and filter)

- Differential Fluid

- and Transfer Case (?) fluid

Can someone fill me in as to the recommended what needs/doesn't need to be changed on a 2004 RX 330?

According to the maintenance schedule, it is not recommended unless you are driving in "severe" conditions. I have changed the trany fluid on every car I have owned and the rear diff on my Honda. This maintenance free approach seems very strange.

Also, does this model have a pan to drop, or drain plug?

thanks.
Old 11-07-08, 10:40 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we had our '04 I changed all the fluids at around 50K. Had the tranny flushed & I did all the other fluids. Put in 100% synthetic lubes at that time.
To me, severe conditions are any conditions that the vehicle is driving in. Not severe is if it is storage.
Old 11-09-08, 08:44 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I posted a reply regarding the transmission fluid change several months ago. I also mentioned that Lexus doesn't recommend a fluid change unless you are doing off road, towing or other severe conditions. The replies that were posted, showed that the owners change at 15K or 30K or whatever, without any justification as to why. I really wish that someone who actually works for Lexus would explain the reasoning for the "no fluid change" for normal driving. In spite of what Lexus says, I plan to change the transmission fluid on my 2007 when it turns 50K.
Old 11-09-08, 10:06 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
I posted a reply regarding the transmission fluid change several months ago. I also mentioned that Lexus doesn't recommend a fluid change unless you are doing off road, towing or other severe conditions. The replies that were posted, showed that the owners change at 15K or 30K or whatever, without any justification as to why. I really wish that someone who actually works for Lexus would explain the reasoning for the "no fluid change" for normal driving. In spite of what Lexus says, I plan to change the transmission fluid on my 2007 when it turns 50K.
Keep in mind when you read those posts that you are looking at owners of different models of RX and that the services are different for each.

The newer RX350's, for example, come with the newer WS transmission fluid instead of Type-IV which came in my '04 RX330. Not sure exactly when the change was made and if all RX350 models use WS. If your RX came with WS transmission fluid it probably will never need changed from all indications I have seen.

Most of us who are changing their fluids early have Type IV transmission fluid which is not a full synthetic like WS.
Old 11-09-08, 02:20 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Drain and fill, we are not changing it. However it is mentioned in the manual as to the volume of fluid required of you were to drain the transmission. I drain and fill every 15K miles, means every other oil change. And I use full synthetic on the engine oil and Type IV on the tranny fluid.
Old 02-26-12, 04:01 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to bring this thread back but I have been thinking it's time to do the rear diff. at 120K. Dunno it it's ever been done. any ideas what else to change?? If I should worry about the rear diff?
Old 02-26-12, 04:40 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by infinirx
Hate to bring this thread back but I have been thinking it's time to do the rear diff. at 120K. Dunno it it's ever been done. any ideas what else to change?? If I should worry about the rear diff?
The local dealer here recommends rear differential and transfer case fluid every 15k.

So yes, do it. And your spark plugs, oil and filter, brake fluid, transmission fluid, engine + cabin filter, power steering fluid, coolant (if it hasn't been done, it was due at 100k), with Toyota pink, t-belt, wiper blades, rotate the tires, and check everything.
Old 02-26-12, 04:54 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RandomTech
The local dealer here recommends rear differential and transfer case fluid every 15k.

So yes, do it. And your spark plugs, oil and filter, brake fluid, transmission fluid, engine + cabin filter, power steering fluid, coolant (if it hasn't been done, it was due at 100k), with Toyota pink, t-belt, wiper blades, rotate the tires, and check everything.
EVERY 15K!?!? Good lord!

- Engine oil filter I do
- trans fluid drain and fill done myself
- Cabin filter done
- T-belt done already a while ago
- blades
- tires come on now..
- Spark plugs I hate having to do this but ok. freaken $650! What a bad day of engineering.

Sigh ok on the the dealership..
Old 02-26-12, 08:16 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- Spark plugs I hate having to do this but ok. freaken $650! What a bad day of engineering.

They last 120k miles. What more do you want?
Old 02-26-12, 08:40 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

EVERY 15K!?!? Good lord!

- Engine oil filter I do
- trans fluid drain and fill done myself
- Cabin filter done
- T-belt done already a while ago
- blades
- tires come on now..

Was that $650 for the plugs alone or for the entire list?
Old 02-26-12, 10:34 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Was that $650 for the plugs alone or for the entire list?
$650/$750 for the plugs installed and that's on the cheap at the dealer.

RandomTech I expect to be able to spend what most spend on plugs and do it myself. What else should I want?
Old 02-27-12, 05:29 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

$650/$750 for the plugs installed and that's on the cheap at the dealer
I recognize the rear bank of plugs are hard to get to, but jeez... that is a bit much. The cost for the plugs should only come to $60 or less for iridium.

Remember the days of the Chevy Monza V6 where you had to jack up the engine to be able to change one of the plugs nearest the firewall.
Old 03-16-12, 12:11 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

I bought SAE 80W-90 gear oil. Dong Thr rear diff. today. Is this the righ oil? Calling the dealer but hope they don't give me the rn around. I don't have the service manual.

PS: Lexus dealer confirmed.

Last edited by infinirx; 03-16-12 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-16-12, 12:54 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I bought SAE 80W-90 gear oil. Dong Thr rear diff. today. Is this the righ oil? Calling the dealer but hope they don't give me the rn around. I don't have the service manual.

PS: Lexus dealer confirmed.
I use the AMSOIL site as a reference as to the required lubricants and capacities.
Old 11-23-21, 06:04 PM
unebonnevi
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTech

The dealer wants your money! :-) I would think at least every 60K miles. I looked into my 2007 RX350 maintenance manual, and it does not even say of doing differential fluid change at 15K miles.

Quick Reply: Tranny and Rear Differential fluid changes