RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: Do you "Extinguish You Engine" When Fueling Your Car?
Yes - I turn the engine off
91.84%
No - I keep it running
8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Do you shut off your RX when you gas it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-08, 09:52 AM
Btmnk21
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...just when you think you've heard it all someone needs a poll to decide whether they should use common sense?

You know those signs with those things called letters, that form things called words? Stuff we learned in 3rd grade- well try reading them sometime. I am pretty sure at gas stations they say shut off the engine. I mean they could be lying about the danger, but I don't see why they would be.

Good luck with not blowing yourself or others up.
Old 11-28-08, 03:50 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by garrard
Yesterday I noticed quite a few people standing around talking on cells while fueling, in spite of the little sign directing otherwise. How big of a risk are cells?
While the danger would appear to be small, the immediate area around fueling and vapor recovery is technically IEEE rated as a "class 1, division 1" space that requires only UL explosion-proof electrical devices within it.

That means electrical devices must be sealed in a housing under a slight positive pressure (excluding any sparking device from the atmosphere), utilize a "cooling device" such as a flame arrestor that would cool a flame front below ignition temperature before arrival in the protected area, or that the devices must be "intrinsically safe", meaning that it can't draw more than a few milliamps, rendering it incapable of producing a spark.

I'm no longer current on the precise limits here, but a cell phone probably falls outside these requirements. Given the variety of types and features available on phones today, I wouldn't count on your phone being safe to operate in a space filled with explosive vapors in close proximity to the filler neck. You could easily be the first to arrive at the scene of a really nasty explosion. I'll defer to folks like xfirechief here who have real hands-on experience.
Old 11-29-08, 10:31 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When your cell phone rings it is either a vibrator or the speaker that notifies you that the phone is ringing neither component sparks at all. I have spent many years around electronics and components and yet to see a part spark they mostly heat up and smoke a little bit.
Old 11-29-08, 10:58 AM
salimshah

Received 1,008 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by herbvdh
When your cell phone rings it is either a vibrator or the speaker that notifies you that the phone is ringing neither component sparks at all. I have spent many years around electronics and components and yet to see a part spark they mostly heat up and smoke a little bit.
Ok, if you smell gas (natural gas) as you enter a home, would you be willing to use your cell phone, from within the house, to call for help.

The point we are trying to make is, even if the risk is .001% or less, it is not worth taking as the consequences of failure is extreme. If people have done this in the past and had no accident, please do not try to convince others that it is harmless.

My personal opinion is that it unsafe for a driver to step out to the car with the engine running. When the vehicle is turned off, and as the driver steps off the vehicle, even then there should be "2" things to prevent roll off. I know it is excessive, but remember basic driving education.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 11-29-08 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-30-08, 05:02 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Well, was a little board this morning and searched on google for gas fueling explosions.

Did not find any caused by a car engine running while refueling. Found a lot of boating explosions where the boat blew up while starting the engine, though. Obviouslys, a boat is a little different where the gas fumes can be confined in a large compartment. I guess this proves it can happen in a car too, but since the car is more open it is probably statistically less likely to happen there.

Did not find any hits where a cell phone caused a fire during refueling. Have found some hits from fire marshalls etc warning against cell phone usage for two reasons-microwave transmitted output causing a spark, and the potential for a spark if you push any of the buttons.

Found a lot of explosions where someone left the nozzle, got into the car, got out, and touched the nozzle. Typical: "wedged a cap in the nozzle to keep it running...got into car to warm up....woman behind me blowing horn...gas spurting out onto the pavement...exploded the moment I touched the nozzle".

Plenty of goof-ball type explosions "theif ran over gas pump and caused explosion", etc.
Old 11-30-08, 06:26 AM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

Google has spoken.
End of this discussion.
Old 12-01-08, 06:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Sure, next time you gas up, have it cigarette while you are waiting
Old 12-01-08, 01:24 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Sure, next time you gas up, have it cigarette while you are waiting
Not that I recommend it, but a cigarette cannot light gasoline fumes. I used to work for an oil company and one of the safety officers gave us a full demonstration. No matter how hot you get the cigarette, it will not get hot enough to light gasoline fumes. The lighter, that's another story;-)
Old 12-01-08, 01:35 PM
tfischer

Yes, but since absolutely nobody would smoke inside a car, having a cig while refueling means that the lighter must be utilized once the driver is outside the car.
Boom!
Old 12-01-08, 05:12 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True story. Years ago, I read of a person that, somehow, fell out of an airplane at 10000 (ten thousand) feet without a parachute. That person survived the fall and, despite wide spread disbelief, it was confirmed that this happened. I really don't remember the particulars but I do remember the story since I am a pilot. Now, using our Brainiac's question as a basis, would I leap 10000 feet out of an airplane in the hope of duplicating this feat?

I can only hope that when you Darwin award losers (look it up) are refueling your vehicles with the engine running, that you are in another county/city/state when you do this. Seriously, how lazy can you be? How cold/hot can it be that the two minutes you spend without the engine running is cause for you to worry about freezing/boiling to death. I spent four years in Alaska when I was in the Air Force and I never worried about those 2-3 minutes.

Moderators, can we suspend this discussion due to stupid people?
Old 12-02-08, 04:23 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveInCal
Not that I recommend it, but a cigarette cannot light gasoline fumes. I used to work for an oil company and one of the safety officers gave us a full demonstration. No matter how hot you get the cigarette, it will not get hot enough to light gasoline fumes. The lighter, that's another story;-)

Here is a guy that did some actual experiments, and the conclusion is that a lit cigarette is more than hot enough to explode gasoline vapors:

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae1.cfm
Old 12-02-08, 06:41 AM
tfischer

Why should we believe some "scientist" and his "laboratory" experiments and his fancy theories??? (I, for one, have never been a big fan of the Fe-CuNi digital thermocouple thermometer anyway.)
We seem to have plenty of real world drivers right here on this site quite willing to experiment at actual gas stations with actual gas fumes and real world ciggys.
We'll just trust them to let us know when they explode in a fiery conflagration (to be redundant).

Last edited by tfischer; 12-02-08 at 06:43 AM. Reason: corrected the spelling of ciggys
Old 12-02-08, 08:49 AM
mandyfig

Received 412 Likes on 363 Posts

My Costco gas attendant will not allow cars with engines running while filling up...so, no choice. I would however shut down the engine while filling up anyway.
Old 12-02-08, 07:01 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Experiments vs. Demonstrations

Originally Posted by biff44
Here is a guy that did some actual experiments, and the conclusion is that a lit cigarette is more than hot enough to explode gasoline vapors:

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae1.cfm
What I watched was an actual demonstration by a Safety Officer from a major oil company. He held the lit cigarette over a container full of gasoline fumes that were proven to be within the explosive range with an LEL gas detector. Then he drew on the cigarette to get it as hot as possible. Nothing happened. I'm an engineer and I'm all for experiments, and perhaps it's possible, but not from what I saw.
Old 12-02-08, 07:47 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the Hybrid turns the engine off but its still on. So i dont know which to pick

Quick Reply: Do you shut off your RX when you gas it?