RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

NAV and Bluetooth bypass DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-10, 07:41 PM
bmvee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an '05 330 and would love to enable the bluetooth hack as I have an iPhone 4 and have very limited functionality. I don't care if I can dial while driving, but it would be handy to be able to read the 1 touch selections.

TIA
Old 01-25-12, 02:02 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A year and 4 months later and still no better solution?
Old 02-21-12, 02:35 PM
CraigD84
Driver School Candidate

Hello, first post, i have uk spec rx400h with Mark Levinson equipment. Has anyone estatlished a workable way of stopping to dvd screen switch off whilst driving?

Cheer Craig
Old 12-03-14, 06:59 PM
Tampa51
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nomi
Ok so I finally got around to doing the Nav and Bluetooth bypass on the 2007 RX350. Please do this at your own risk; I am not responsible if you burn some thing up. If you have any question please ask and I will try to help as much as possible.

My camera decided to die so I don’t have any pictures. If I can get the camera to come back to life I will post pictures of all of these steps.

First the Bluetooth bypass. If you have the VAIS technology SL2Vi installed you will be able to get video in motion. You will also be able to get ipod to work including the folders in motion.

Step 1: remove the head unit. The forum is full of instruction on this. Use the search button and you will find several DIYs on this. If you have questions about this please send me a pm and I can try to explain further.

Step 2: once you have the head unit removed. Now remove the screen. There are 2 bolts under the screen where the head unit use to be. Once you remove these 2 bolts. The screen will pull forward. No need to take it out all the way. You are only interested in the 1 plug on the back. This is the plug nearest to the driver side. It is white plug with several wires. It is listed as 26 pin connector but has lot fewer wires than that. If you count the number of pins it should have 26 pins.

Remove the plug. The wire that you are interested in is red wire in the middle of the plug. Be careful there is another red wire on the same plug but it is toward the end. You don’t want to cut the red wire toward the end. See the picture of the plug M5 below. Tape both ends of the cut wire so there is no chance for the wires to touch any thing. Now cut the white wire at pin number 8. tie the plug side of this wire to pin number 1 (white wire with black stripe). tape the body side of the wire so no chance of short.

Step 3: Put everything back together. This should free up the Bluetooth and ipod.

Now the Navigation hack during motion

This is little more complicated process. Just to give little background. I originally built a little pulse generator to fool the navigation system. It worked well but problem was that the actual pulse voltage was changing in the original system but my pulse generator was only producing fixed voltage since I was not looking at the speed of the car. So I had to abandon this method and had to go to a switch set up. They way it works now is that when I need to input an address I have to hit a switch. Once I am done with the input I have to turn the switch back on. This may be too much pain for some people but for me that is all I could come up with for now. I may change the setup in the future but for now it is working well. So below are the steps.

Step 1: remove the tool tray out of the luggage compartment. This is easy; just open the door to expose the tool tray. Lift the back of the tool tray and pull it toward the back of the car. It should slide out. Once the tool tray is out you should see a DVD player on the passenger side.
Step 2: unplug the large white plug on the back of the DVD player. The plug that you are interested in is the largest plug on the back of the DVD player. This is 24 pin connector. There is only one wire that you are interested in. it is brown wire located at pin number 4. There is only one brown wire so it should be easy to identify.See the picture below for the N3 Plug.

Step 3: cut the brown wire. Make sure to leave enough wire on both sides to splice in the new wire that you are going to run to the front of the car next to driver side.

Step 4: take 2 wires, each 20 foot long. Connect one wire to the plug side of the brown wire that was cut in the step 3 above. Connect the 2nd wire to the body side of the brown wire that was cut in step 3.

Step 5: rune the 2 wires to the front of the car on the driver side. This is fairly easy. I put my wires under the door scuff plates. The scuff plates can be pulled up easily. These are held in with clips only.

Step 6: run the wires to where you are going to install the switch. You can get “ON” and “OFF” switch from local radio shack or auto parts store. Here is the link to the switch that I used. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Install the switch and land the wires on to the switch.

When the switch is in position “1” the system works just like it would be from factory. When you want to input the address into navigation while moving just flip the switch in position “O”. This will cut the speed signal to the navigation ECU. So the ECU thinks that the car is stopped and all of the buttons are released. Once you are done with the entry, flip the switch back and everything should be back to normal. If you forget to flip the switch back the Nav system will be choppy.

I did this stuff 2 weeks ago. Every thing is working so far without any issues.

Good luck
I have a 2007 RX 350. The wire in position 4 on the back of the DVD player is red and not brown. There is a brown wire but it is in the 12 position.
Old 12-03-14, 07:12 PM
Tampa51
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2007 RX 350. The wire in the 4 position on the DVD plug is red. There is a brown wire but it is in the 12 position. Is his the correct one?
Old 01-20-15, 03:12 PM
Jy2013
Driver School Candidate

Please help me"
2006 rx400h navi,heater dose not work
How can I fix do that?
I don't have a idea...
Please help me......;;;;;
Old 01-21-15, 02:57 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jy2013
Please help me"
2006 rx400h navi,heater dose not work
How can I fix do that?
I don't have a idea...
Please help me......;;;;;
First thing to do is check the fuses. Secondly, these ghost threads creep me out! Who are these people!
Old 01-21-15, 04:19 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus Jy2013. Your heater problem should have been posted as a new and separate thread. You might want to do that since members viewing this forum posting are all about bluetooth bypass and not heater problems. Also the forums here have an excellent search feature. Nearly very problem with the Lexus RX has been previously discussed. Search with the keyword "Heater".
Old 01-29-16, 05:46 AM
joelake1
Driver School Candidate

Smile NAV and Bluetooth bypass DIY

I just bought a 2007 RX350, and found these instructions for the "bypass" and the "navigation hack". Can someone simply tell me what these hacks do or allow me to do? thanks. In the instructions, it looks like great info on how to do it, but I don't know what it is for...thanks!
Joe
Old 01-29-16, 06:04 AM
dganapol
Driver School Candidate

It allows you to use the Nav over 5 mph.

David
Old 01-29-16, 06:08 AM
joelake1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks David...what about the Bluetooth bypass...what does this allow me to do?