RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 330/350 Handling

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 05:35 PM
dave2K
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RX 330/350 Handling

Given that the RX is designed to be a main stream vehicle for the masses, I would certainly expect the suspension to be in the middle of the two possible extremes. That's exactly how mine feels, and it must be working since the RX is so popular. You can certainly tweak it either way with mods, but you can't make it drive like something quite different from what it is. As for Mercedes, you can expect quite a bit more time getting repairs. The Mercedes, especially the SUVs, have had a horrible reliability record. Unless they are much better than they were in the past, which is doubtful. I loved my Mercedes and the dealer treated me great, but I thought I had better things to do than take it back to the dealer for repairs every other month. Check out Consumer Reports if you don't believe me. You won't find another car survey that collects around 400,000 detailed responses from car owners.
Old 08-31-08, 06:26 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a RX300 to a LS400 and now a RX400h comparing the ride the RX400h rides just as good as the LS400 did. The ride was wonderful with three adults and all the luggage for a 1700 mile round trip the weight had to be up at about 5300 pounds also. I did the same trip with each of these vehicles.By the way gas milage was about 27 MPG .
Old 08-31-08, 07:42 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

i really like the way the rx drives, but then agian we mostly drive on smooth highways and very smooth roads, what i dont understand is that if so many dislike the rx? why did you buy it. And i would recomend a mercedes but i know of someone who has a gl and another with an ml and both dislike it very much and only ought it because their wives wanted something shinny but i am sorry you dislike you rx and would suggest a slightly used mds the previous generation the new one is just butt ugly
Old 09-04-08, 01:21 AM
erick3
Driver School Candidate

completely off topic: i'm gonna have to agree with the masses. the rx's suspension IS junk. for me personally, it's just way too soft, and the car rolls like NONE OTHER. then again, the car doesn't exactly belong to me - it's perfect for my mom - typically korean lady lol. as the previous post mentioned - we bought rx because "she wanted something shiny". personally, i like the MDX - it rides great and has plenty of gadgets to play with; plus with the air ride suspension, you have the option of driving in normal or sport mode - stiffens up the suspension...

apologies to the op!
Old 09-04-08, 06:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by erick3
completely off topic: i'm gonna have to agree with the masses. the rx's suspension IS junk. for me personally, it's just way too soft, and the car rolls like NONE OTHER. then again, the car doesn't exactly belong to me - it's perfect for my mom - typically korean lady lol. as the previous post mentioned - we bought rx because "she wanted something shiny". personally, i like the MDX - it rides great and has plenty of gadgets to play with; plus with the air ride suspension, you have the option of driving in normal or sport mode - stiffens up the suspension...

apologies to the op!
Lexus most likely designed the vehicle for Moms of all ages.
No doubt about it,the RX is a 'chick car'.
I think the RX ride is great.
You want a rough ride and handling,get a X5.
I can't undrstand why people buy a vehicle and then complain about the space,ride etc.
Didn't anyone test drive,check out everything and really think about buying this $40+K vehicle?
Old 09-04-08, 08:00 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Don't like it, don't buy it. Can't get any easier then that.

I love it & the ride, it is just right for us but we don't off-road so if thats your thing I can't comment on that part of it. Personally didn't ever consider a RX for doing off-roading anyways.
Old 09-04-08, 12:16 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Don't like it, don't buy it. Can't get any easier then that.

I love it & the ride, it is just right for us but we don't off-road so if thats your thing I can't comment on that part of it. Personally didn't ever consider a RX for doing off-roading anyways.
Hear, hear! Well over 30k on our RX, and we love it. Rides great, super for long hauls, gets good fuel mileage, and has been trouble free. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't hesitate!

Sure seems to be inordinate amount of whining and moaning on these threads now days. If you don’t like it, get rid of it.
Old 09-04-08, 05:44 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davidsong
LOL! if you think lexus RX is a luxury SUV then you are ..... how should i say this, you dont know much than. if you want luxury, trading your "luxury" lexus for a toyota would be dropping a huge stone on your feet. go for a bmw OR mercedes would be far more luxurious than buying a lexus rx or toyota highlander or 4 runner.
Sorry, couldn't let this slide and had to comment!

Just curious why you think Lexus is not a luxury brand but BMW or MERCEDES are. You certainly saw fit to purchase a RX450h, when at the time the RX450h came out the Highlander hybrid was already available. Could it have been that you wanted the LUXURY look that many purchase the chrome "L" brand for?

Lexus goes to great measured to manufacture and market their vehicles as luxury cars. If you suggesting Lexus does in fact make luxury cars, just not the entry level suv, the RX. Then I guess BENZ is only a luxury car if considering the "e classe" or greater, or the 5 series or greater?

I'm confused, as someone else commented previously these forums should serve to form a strong sense of community and to help those with queries on the brand along with a a method of generating positive feedback with other fellow owners. If your not happy with the brand, sell it and move on to another forum. I too have had a negative track record with the lexus family, however, still to this day feel it's not indicative of the brand's overall quality but an isolated incident. We all know that as far as reliability is concerned, some of the "luxury" brands previously had and continue to have their share of quirks.

Just venting and still scratching my head as why someone would log onto a luxury car forum and critize the interpretation of the quality of the brand by any particular individual. I'm sure even if I critized Ford on this forum, there would be someone who would stick up for it, therefore you can't be surprised that I'm sticking up for Lexus on a Lexus forum.

But hey you're entitled to your opinion and I mine.
//Fern

Last edited by Fern; 09-04-08 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-04-08, 11:48 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by erick3

apologies to the op!
i think you get what im talking about......the issues with the suspension is that i dont think they tuned it correctly or optimally. for example if you drive the mazda CX-9 the ride is very compliant, absorbs bumps well, and has a stiffer ride. it handles bumps well and smooth roads even better. if you drive another car like say the FX35 the ride is much stiffer overall. now if you drive an SUV like a audi Q7 the ride is stiff but is more towards luxury so when you are on flat roads the ride is stiff over bumps its forgiving. the suspension in the RX tries to do everything but doesnt succeed at any area, hence to most people its fine, to me its still garbage. anyways during all of this have you people noticed that the original poster hasnt been back?
Old 09-05-08, 05:48 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Can any one define "Luxury"?

To me reliability, performance are terms which are important but not be in the same bin as Luxury. as an example, in the trade-off between sporty vs comfort, the Luxury must tilt towards comfort .. else the classification would change to sporty.
Another example ... a digital watch out of the cereal box can be more precise than some elite watches, but that does not make them Luxury items.

If I miss something please add:

Brand-image (most of the time with higher cost to the customer), comfort, customer care (obviously at cost to the customer) which define Luxury.

Salim
Old 09-05-08, 06:57 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default RX vs. MUSTANG COBRA

If you notice we have both a "luxury SUV" & a vehicle that does have all the HP you would ever want, 412HP to be exact, & corners like a dream but is a rough ride but we knew that when we bought it. We test drove the RX before we bought & sure it wasn't a Mustang COBRA but we already had one so we were going for comfort & luxury. WE got it too.
Old 09-06-08, 12:08 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RXkillah
I just so happened to visit the Lexus IS 2nd Generation forum, and they had a post mentioning that the members needed to start building a stronger sense of community in the forum. Maybe you guys should adopt that here???? People come here for advice, not to be ridiculed and criticized for their choices!!!
X2
I visit a number of auto and truck forums and personally come to help and to learn. If you don't like what someone has to say, simply ignore them. It says a lot more about you than them if you feel you have to join a pack of bullies and beat up on someone and toss them into the alley just because you didn't like what they had to say. If they come back repeatedly to badmouth the forum product (simply troublemaker) then it may be time to hit the "ignore button" a couple of times. Otherwise, show some class and live and let live.
Old 09-06-08, 02:02 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
Can any one define "Luxury"?

To me reliability, performance are terms which are important but not be in the same bin as Luxury. as an example, in the trade-off between sporty vs comfort, the Luxury must tilt towards comfort .. else the classification would change to sporty.
Another example ... a digital watch out of the cereal box can be more precise than some elite watches, but that does not make them Luxury items.

If I miss something please add:

Brand-image (most of the time with higher cost to the customer), comfort, customer care (obviously at cost to the customer) which define Luxury.

Salim
You said it Salim.

As I said in another thread, there was a forum member complaining that Lexus wasn't a "Luxury" marque (because he was having some problems with his car) right up until Lexus provided him with a new car. Then it became a Luxury marque again.

Many people are "Badge Snobs" pure and simple. Unless a vehicle comes from a particular manufacturer (generally European) it can't possibly be a "Luxury" vehicle.

I know about this because I'm a recovering Badge Snob. I've owned German cars for many years (and still own a Porsche) and after a particularly unimpressive experience with BMW, I came to the firm conclusion that Luxury and European were codewords for mediocre build quality, sub-standard service, high servicing costs while providing the lowest level of standard equipment that they can get away with. Check for yourselves. "Do you want wheels with your car Sir, zat will be extra".

I then discovered Lexus. To me the value proposition that Lexus offer is quite simple:
  1. Excellent Build Quality
  2. High levels of standard equipment & technology
  3. Outstanding service (nothing is ever too much trouble)
  4. Low servicing costs (certainly in comparison to Euro's)
  5. Strong safety credentials
  6. Appropriate levels of handling **

**This may differ from US vehicles. In my, and many other's experience, even so called "Sporty" vehicles in NA have less than acceptable handling by European and Australian standards. Most vehicles with US spec suspension feel soft and spongy to us. From what I've read, the Pontiac G8 (the Australian Holden Commodore) has had it's suspension "detuned" to enable it to be sold in the US.

The upshot of all this is that many, many people are blinded by marketing BS and "the Badge" and will not consider that anything that doesn't have "the Badge" as they cannot possibly be a Luxury vehicle.
Old 09-06-08, 07:45 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=harleydjce;3814581]...**This may differ from US vehicles. In my, and many other's experience, even so called "Sporty" vehicles in NA have less than acceptable handling by European and Australian standards. Most vehicles with US spec suspension feel soft and spongy to us. From what I've read, the Pontiac G8 (the Australian Holden Commodore) has had it's suspension "detuned" to enable it to be sold in the US./QUOTE]

Well mate, the reason the suspensions are softer in the US is that they actually have modern smooth paved Interstate highways to drive on and not inter-connected potholes or cobblestones. Nor is it like driving the outback. Take a spin from Perth to Alice Springs and you will know what I'm talking about. (1550 miles/2500 Km = 36 hours) Part of it is even paved. LOL

All kidding aside, the American driver is accustomed to a softer (less firm) ride and most Americans seem to prefer slightly more cushioning. Taking a car across a typical state in the US covers several hundred miles, not like going from Munich, Germany to Verona, Italy (300 miles/485 Km) over some of the most neglected goat paths known to man. Took almost 10 hours BTW, not counting the time stopped to get the goats off the road.

I routinely take a long trip a few times a year (1600 mile/1575Km each way) and can tell you unequivocally, that the RX is a very comfortable long range touring vehicle. I've made this trip in other vehicles and was much worse for the wear after the drive. I typically make that trip in about 22 hours.

I also must say that the road feel of my RX really improved when I put the Bridgestone Alenza's on it. This is a highway tyre and has stiffer sidewall and wider contact patch than the OEM tyre. It made the ride a tad firmer and much better, IMHO.
Old 09-06-08, 12:15 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=jfelbab;3814772]Well mate, the reason the suspensions are softer in the US is that they actually have modern smooth paved Interstate highways to drive on and not inter-connected potholes or cobblestones. Nor is it like driving the outback. Take a spin from Perth to Alice Springs and you will know what I'm talking about. (1550 miles/2500 Km = 36 hours) Part of it is even paved. LOL /QUOTE] I know. I'm actually from Darwin and have driven across the Nullarbor and around pretty much all of Australia. What I can't figure out is why (with our roads) you guys have the soft suspension!!

Originally Posted by jfelbab
All kidding aside, the American driver is accustomed to a softer (less firm) ride and most Americans seem to prefer slightly more cushioning. Taking a car across a typical state in the US covers several hundred miles, not like going from Munich, Germany to Verona, Italy (300 miles/485 Km) over some of the most neglected goat paths known to man. Took almost 10 hours BTW, not counting the time stopped to get the goats off the road.

I routinely take a long trip a few times a year (1600 mile/1575Km each way) and can tell you unequivocally, that the RX is a very comfortable long range touring vehicle. I've made this trip in other vehicles and was much worse for the wear after the drive. I typically make that trip in about 22 hours.

I also must say that the road feel of my RX really improved when I put the Bridgestone Alenza's on it. This is a highway tyre and has stiffer sidewall and wider contact patch than the OEM tyre. It made the ride a tad firmer and much better, IMHO.
As I mentioned above, I can't figure out why a country with some great roads has such soft suspension. I drove 3000 miles between NYC, Boston, Chicago, KC, Washington etc on one of my trips and likened the steering to what I'm used to on boats (A little to port please!)

I do a similar trip to yours here in the land of the linked pothole and also find our RX to be an excellent touring vehicle. We don't have Alenza's over here but the Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport is probably the same tyre (please note the spelling ). Ours come with Bridgestone RE001 as OEM tyres. When my current ones wear out I will either change to the HP Sport or move to Pirelli Scorpions (but my suspension will still be better than yours and your roads better than ours!)

Quick Reply: RX 330/350 Handling