RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

TSB: Glove Box rattle repair

Old 07-29-08, 01:18 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts
Default TSB: Glove Box rattle repair

TSB-Glove Box rattle: Remove Glove Box and install felt on a selected location to stop the rattle.

I am finally working on getting the rattle fixed on my glove box and I am stuck on one part: Removing the Cowl Side Trim Sub-Assy RH. This is actually covering the one of the bolts holding the glove box.

I have page 76-32 of the manual indicating how to remove the Front Door Scuff Plate RH. But I do not have the instructions to remove the Cowl Side Trim Sub-Assy RH.

I would appreciate if somebody can point me to the right direction? I do not want to damage a trim piece if I can help it.
Old 07-29-08, 02:49 PM
mandyfig

This TSB would have been covered by the warranty, but I recently passed it. So now it is a DIY. I will post pictures when I am done, though.
Old 07-29-08, 07:25 PM
mandyfig

I have completed the TSB and it worked. No more rattles coming from the glove box. Pretty straightforward. The cowl was easy to pop out. The front door scuff plate did not have to be taken out, popped it and put it aside. Fortunately I had the felt required per the TSB (we use it at work). I do not know where I would buy them.
Old 07-30-08, 01:58 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm I just put in another glove box in my car.. talk about a pain to switch the lock assemblies... but mine never rattled..
Old 07-30-08, 02:00 PM
mandyfig

Mine was good until the warranty expired....then the slight tick-tick-tick noise came about....when I open the glove box...it went away....it was the glove box rattle.....of course, when the radio was on.......can not hear it. But it bothered me that this is the only rattle that I have and I had to fix it! Done!
Old 01-12-09, 01:06 PM
runningox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of warranty can cover on TSB? 4years? 6years?
Old 01-12-09, 02:25 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Hold on! Isn't a TSB just foreign way of saying Recall <-- Fords familiar with that .

TSB/Recall has to be fixed regardless of warranty. I mean remember the Chrysler minivan didn't they have to recall some million amount of minivans dating back 10 years or so to fix some screw for the steering wheel. And Ford did 4 ore more recalls on the Escape. Now lets not forget about Mercedes we had recall on power steering clamps. Toyota did a recall or our Sienna tires. So I pretty sure a TSB is dealer covered regardless of warranty. As its Toyota's way of saying oops sorry problem. And I remember when I had my ES they did some TSB on a safety buckle without charge and that was after the warranty ran out. They did it themselves during a oil change, I remember as the Service Adviser asked me if I wanted to continue to wait or come back at another time.
Old 01-12-09, 05:46 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by triplecore
Hold on! Isn't a TSB just foreign way of saying Recall <-- Fords familiar with that .

TSB/Recall has to be fixed regardless of warranty. I mean remember the Chrysler minivan didn't they have to recall some million amount of minivans dating back 10 years or so to fix some screw for the steering wheel. And Ford did 4 ore more recalls on the Escape. Now lets not forget about Mercedes we had recall on power steering clamps. Toyota did a recall or our Sienna tires. So I pretty sure a TSB is dealer covered regardless of warranty. As its Toyota's way of saying oops sorry problem. And I remember when I had my ES they did some TSB on a safety buckle without charge and that was after the warranty ran out. They did it themselves during a oil change, I remember as the Service Adviser asked me if I wanted to continue to wait or come back at another time.

A TSB and a recall are two different items. A TSB does not have to be fixed if you are out of warranty. If you have a good relationship with the dealer, they may cover out of warranty on a case-by-case basis, however.

A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) is issued when a known problem or condition exists in a certain vehicle(s) and contains a repair for that problem. A TSB can also be issued to notify dealerships of diagnostic procedure changes, modified or improved parts or service manual revisions and updates.

TSBs are "Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty". This means if the vehicle is within it's warranty period, repair as outlined by the TSB is paid for by the manufacturer. If the vehicle is out of warranty, the customer is responsible for the repairs.
Old 01-12-09, 08:32 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cdnewton
A TSB and a recall are two different items. A TSB does not have to be fixed if you are out of warranty. If you have a good relationship with the dealer, they may cover out of warranty on a case-by-case basis, however.

A Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) is issued when a known problem or condition exists in a certain vehicle(s) and contains a repair for that problem. A TSB can also be issued to notify dealerships of diagnostic procedure changes, modified or improved parts or service manual revisions and updates.

TSBs are "Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty". This means if the vehicle is within it's warranty period, repair as outlined by the TSB is paid for by the manufacturer. If the vehicle is out of warranty, the customer is responsible for the repairs.
got TSB nice to have fix not real detrimental (hence rattle) and Recall must be fixed (hence brakes).
Old 01-13-09, 04:29 PM
runningox
Driver School Candidate

who can tell me how many years warranty can cover that? Thanks!
Old 01-14-09, 09:38 AM
mandyfig

48 months or 50K, bumper to bumper, except for wear items.

Powertrain goes to 72K or 80 months. Correct me if I mis-quoted this.
Old 01-25-11, 10:58 PM
suraj83
Rookie

Originally Posted by mandyfig
TSB-Glove Box rattle: Remove Glove Box and install felt on a selected location to stop the rattle.

I am finally working on getting the rattle fixed on my glove box and I am stuck on one part: Removing the Cowl Side Trim Sub-Assy RH. This is actually covering the one of the bolts holding the glove box.

I have page 76-32 of the manual indicating how to remove the Front Door Scuff Plate RH. But I do not have the instructions to remove the Cowl Side Trim Sub-Assy RH.

I would appreciate if somebody can point me to the right direction? I do not want to damage a trim piece if I can help it.
any chance of photos of the 'selected location'?

glove box rattle driving me crazy!
Old 01-26-11, 12:29 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! totally have this on and off. Please post a DIY
Old 01-26-11, 05:00 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There's a TSB for the rattle from the top of the dash (centre, just in front of the defroster vent) that involves felt as well. This one is more involved, however, needing the dash to be removed IIRC.

If you still have a rattle after fixing the glovebox, it might be the dash rattle.

Check in the hybrid forum at www.lexusownersclub.com I have listed many many TSBs there, some of which would apply to the regular RX as well as the hybrid.
Old 01-26-11, 05:53 AM
mandyfig

I never posted some of the pics I took when I did the DIY. Somebody pm'd me for it. I will look at my archives and will post.

Just a reminder, it should have solved the problem, it did for a while, but I can still hear the rattle off and on. But I am over it. Turn up the radio.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TSB: Glove Box rattle repair