RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX350 or RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-08, 10:28 AM
Liphotoman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 or RDX?

Saw a thread here comparing the RX350 to the MDX - I'm looking at the RDX for comparison.

Drove these two '09 cars yesterday & having lots of trouble deciding which of them to get.

I liked the comfort of the Driver's Seat in the RDX much better than the RX, but the RIDE itself was more comfortable in the RX. But for passenger, RX wins by a large margin due to lack of lumbar support for passengers in the RDX. Another great convenience that the RX had was the auto rear hatch opener. I have arthritic shoulders, and opening the hatch on the RDX was difficult for me. Can't understand why Acura left these things out.

I much prefer the technology of the RDX to the RX, and even though it is a 4 cyl vs the RX 6, it feels like it would be peppier & better on the highway. How would the RX be passing & coming on from onramps? But which holds the road better at 75? WOuld one of them react better than the other to the wind forces from the large trucks passing on the Turnpike? Any experiences on the Nav systems in the 2 cars? I'm used to the Acura system from my '05 TL, and I understand it has been impproved. It SEEMS like the Nav is better on the RDX, but I think it takes significant driving to really get a feel for te Nav system. I do like the idea of the Nav built in - not an external device like a Garmin, etc. that is likely to be stolen from the car when parked.

Most of my driving is either very local, or on the NJ Turnpike & Long Island Distressway. I probably do about 12,000 mi / year.

I'm retired, so no kids, and almost never lug a lot of stuff, so cargo space & a 3rd row of seats not all that important.

What Is important is comfort for me & my passenger, safety, good sound, good technology. One big flaw with Lexus in this area is the XM radio is $1000 extra. I found that shocking - a luxury car like that but without satellite radio! Also, I was surprised to see that heated seats is in Option. Pay for heated seats? It seems like the RX keeps adding on charges, but the RDX has few options to add. The RX is already priced about $6,000 more than the RDX - and add another 5G if I want the hybrid. It will take me over 5 years of driving to recoup the gas savings for the hybrid, but I wonder if a hybrid will have a greater % resale value in 3 - 4 years, and thus help recoup it that way? While the Look of a car is not critical, it is important, and I much prefer the look of the RX, even though dated, to the RDX.

The Dealer is really not much of an issue - same dealer - only different locations. The Acura service is about 5 mins from me - the Lexus about 15.

Also, becase of all the options & packages available on the RX I am having trouble getting true dealer cost for that as opposed to the RDX, where the info is easier to gather.

Would appreciate any comments on my impressions, and any information I may have missed that might be helpful to my imminent decision.

Thank you.
LiPhotoman is online now Edit/Delete Message
Old 07-27-08, 11:46 AM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tossed around getting an X5 or an RX330. I asked both dealers to let me have the vehicle all day so I could get a good feel for what fit me best. Both were happy to let me take them for the day. I ended up with the RX for reasons that meant something to me.

My opinion is that the hybrid will not give you reasonable ROI for resale. They tend to get very expensive to fix when they get old, so a potential buyer may stray away realizing that they could be in for some expensive maintenance. Plus the RX hybrid ranks very low on the ROI overall. Something like 12 years to recoup the cost. I'll see if I can dig up that study. Just saw it a few days ago...
Old 07-27-08, 11:52 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Being that the two cars are so close for you, only you can determine which of those factors you mentioned are "More" important to "You" and then buy that car. Both are good cars. I wouldn't mind getting another RX. We also wouldn't mind getting the RDX as it too has its pluses.
Old 07-27-08, 12:50 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's that Hybrid link. RX was WAY down the list...
http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/06/...com-finds.html
Old 07-27-08, 02:08 PM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

I've never driven the RDX, but from what I've heard it's a quick, fun-to-drive little SUV. For a few thousand more, you get the luxury and refinement of the RX350. You mentioned that your passenger's comfort was high on your priority, and that's a big reason why I got the RX. Numerous road trips later, I have yet to hear one complaint.
Old 07-27-08, 08:25 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Default Some thing to add on acura rdx...

I am not going to mentioned anything about th elook of acura rdx, looks is subjective. I personally like the RX350 better.

Now, the acura rdx's turbo engine will require you to use synthetic oil (per acura). It will cost you more every oil change. The turbo engine also 'required' premium oil. While RX330/RX350 can live with 87-89-91 octane. I also heard form a friend that his RDX is not getting the mpg expected for small Suv (its mpg is about the same or worst than lexus RX350).
Old 07-29-08, 06:18 AM
Liphotoman
Driver School Candidate

I've been able to find Invoice price, and the Lexus Dealer is still more than $3,000 over Invoice! After a second test drive & research, I prefer the RX350.
But to pay that much over invoice I think is unreasonable! He says he can't go lower becuase it is an '09. He says if it was an '08 he'd be able to make a much better deal. But they have no '08's left equipped like I want.

Would anyone pay that much over Invoice!?!
Old 07-29-08, 08:12 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Liphotoman
I've been able to find Invoice price, and the Lexus Dealer is still more than $3,000 over Invoice! After a second test drive & research, I prefer the RX350.
But to pay that much over invoice I think is unreasonable! He says he can't go lower becuase it is an '09. He says if it was an '08 he'd be able to make a much better deal. But they have no '08's left equipped like I want.

Would anyone pay that much over Invoice!?!
Post some numbers here. We'll check it out.
Old 07-29-08, 08:21 AM
Liphotoman
Driver School Candidate

Dealer quoting me 42,600 before tax for '09 with Nav & Premium Plus package- no installed options, like XM.
Old 07-29-08, 02:46 PM
Who_Me
Rookie

Default Big Decision

You have a tough decision to make and only you will know if you have the "feel good" feeling about either car.

I have a 2007 RX-350, with every available option, plus the add-ons like the XM Satellite Radio and the OEM Trailer hitch. I love my car, except for two major irritants.

The major irritant is the dysfunctional Navigation System. It is absolutely a major piece of crap that you will hate from day one. After paying about $3000 for the Nav system, I ended up buying a Garmin portable that I actually use. The Nav System input pad and cell phone Bluetooth link are disabled as soon as the car is put in motion. I understand the intent to make drivers focus their attention on the road but why can't the passenger operate the systems? It would be simple to put a sensor in the passenger seat to allow that. The Nav system also has that "Lexus Mom" screen that makes you press the "I Agree" button before you can operate the system. If attention to driving is the issue, then why aren't the controls for my XM or FM Radio disabled? My climate control? There are after-market fixes for some of the Nav system issues but they may void your warranty. Besides, why should one pay $500 to correct the stupidity of Toyota engineers and lawyers?

The second irritant for me is all of the factory settings on everything from headlight auto-off timing to audible warning levels can only be set by the dealer (for a huge price). Almost 20 years ago I owned an Olds 98 with more features and settings than my Lexus and I could adjust every setting myself.

As much as I like the ride and handling of my RX-350, if I was buying a car tomorrow, I would cross it off my list because of the issues I stated above. If those things are unimportant to you, then I would definitely favor the RX over other vehicles in its class.
Old 07-29-08, 03:22 PM
Liphotoman
Driver School Candidate

I ended up buying the 350 today - an '09 with Nav, XM, Prem Plus package, 18" wheels, Trans cooler and a few other things at less than above.

The 2 issues you raise WHO_ME seem to have been addressed in the '09 model. I was able to operate the Nav system via voice commands, and things like time to turn off lights, etc are adjustable by the user.

I pick it up Monday! :-)

Thanks for all the input here.
Old 07-29-08, 05:47 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Luxury or wannabe luxury?

I ended up buying the 350 today - an '09 with Nav, XM, Prem Plus package, 18" wheels, Trans cooler and a few other things at less than above.

The 2 issues you raise WHO_ME seem to have been addressed in the '09 model. I was able to operate the Nav system via voice commands, and things like time to turn off lights, etc are adjustable by the user.

Good choice, and I think you really liked the RX in the first place anyway from your question. The RX just has a better overall quality to it and although it's the last year, it's better planned than the new RDX. My friend has a RDX and I've riden in it a few times and it just doesn't have the luxury feel of the RX. Also, "luxury" car and the hood is held open by a rod? Come on? Never heard of hydraulic lifts Acura?
Old 07-31-08, 12:32 PM
Who_Me
Rookie

Default Congratulations

Congratulations on your new RX. I hope you enjoy it.

I have tried the voice commands with my RX, without a lot of success. It either doesn't understand at all or I have to repeat several times. I speak slowly (maybe too slowly) and use the syntax the operator manual says to use but still have a problem. Maybe it is my Southern accent.

I am really glad they allow the operator to change some of the default settings. You mentioned the headlight controls...how about the other 25-30 defaults listed in the back of the Manual?

Again, Congratulations.
Old 07-31-08, 01:15 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The only voice command I can get to work for me pretty consistantly is the " Address " command. Say if you are driving, and you want to put in a destination but you dont want to stop. Try inputting the address with the address command, it even understands some of the more differcult street names.
Old 08-06-08, 08:36 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what are you even comparing, a souped up re-worked compact Honda CR-V with a mid-size luxury SUV?

Quick Reply: RX350 or RDX?